Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its a dirty job but someone gotta to do it. Picture heavy clean up thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a dirty job but someone gotta to do it. Picture heavy clean up thread.

I like others on here am a serial eBay trawler.

Pickings for cheap auctions are slimmer than ever but there are still things of interest out there, some valuable some just interesting.

I saw a listing for a bunch of computers, pretty poorly written up. I have rotated the pictures, they were all sideways previously!

A Dell Dimension, one of the deeply uninteresting ones with no AGP socket

A old HP P4/CeleronD, again pretty uninteresting.

And a A64 home build. This actually looked interesting as it was a fairly rare DPS (dual power system) A64 board with a 7800 card by the looks of it.

Then towards the end of the list of images (past the 5 preview ones) there was a few of these.

OK that's interesting....

Yep that's fizzy willy time 2011 socket X79 system.

Holding my horses a little, its clearly been wet and is listed as specifically not even powering on.

Hmmm should I see if he will take a offer..

I offer reasonably, certainly not peanuts, allot more than some would have offered I bet!

Man maths kicks in and I figure even if it has the poverty i7 3820 in it I will scrape some cash back if the rest is dead.

So I drive the 50 miles to pick them up and then bring them back. Seller said they were being sold on someone else behalf, they all came out of a shed that was coming down!

So got the haul back home and sat the interesting one down on the table.

Smelled bad.

Cats.

Specifically cat pish.

I am sure we have all been there.

Oh well time to crack on.

Tried to power it on and it was stone dead

So I remove the cards one by one and things do not look promising!

Initially it just looks like mud but this stuff is horrid, its a mix of cat pish, cat hair, grease and grime. It is stuck fast and will not brush off!

Only one thing for it.

Bath time!

Good scrub with a paint brush then off to the oven @ 130 for a hour.

While that's cooking next up is the graphics cards!

2 x 580GTX

Covered in cat smeg.

X-fi Titanium, yet more smeg!

And a RM1050. Absolutely full of smeg had to void the warranty label on this!

Soooo

All that done and I am down a tub of alcohol wipes.

Board is toasty and dry now so clean the heatsinks and replace the thermal pad for the VRMs.

Next onto the case!

Thought about sticking it in the dishwasher but as it was full of cat hair and cat whizz thought might not as the Mrs would prob make me replace it if she found out.

Oh and the H100 needed a clean ( did this later)

So while that was all drying lets see if any of this stuff works, all reasonably clean but not tested a single part of it! This has taken me most of a weekend to get to this stage!

So I set up a test system, hadnt given the H100 a proper clean at this point and had to use it as I don't have any other 2011 coolers.

No dice first few power ons, does power on though, more than it did when it was encrusted in felix the cats pish.

Moved the memory about...

OK lets try again.

boom!

Much fist pumping! GF thinks I am very sad and doesn't seem to respond with the desired enthusiasm I think the situation deserves lol

Next few hours are spent installing windows and playing with it, managed to get 4 sticks of mem in quad channel and all working spot on.

Well except the onboard realtek audio which has the refusal to detect jacks fault

Only other part that didn't want to work was the fan controller on the H100 (maybe why the whole machine was consigned to a leaky shed?).

So I rebuilt with a new cooler.

Very happy, and I then recapped and cleaned out the A64 rig which now works perfectly also.

Where there is muck there's brass in the pc world!

Also shows how some folk are absolutely mad, this machine would have cost $$$$$$$ in 2011 when it was new, who bins it off in a old wet shed!
    Last edited by Bungz; 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM.

Re: Its a dirty job but someone gotta to do it. Picture heavy clean up thread.

130ºC? is that even safe?

Comment

Says 29C which is cool. My amd runs twice that.

What 939 board is that? Looks like my ga-k8nf-9 other than the what ever that is at the top. Nice audigy 2 in the same one.

Comment

I was talking about the oven temperature.

Good scrub with a paint brush then off to the oven @ 130 for a hour.

Comment

Wow that's a really well done job!
          Cat piss, my oh my!
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I don't see any pictures anymore!

Comment

OK here, photobucket uploads.

Comment

Lucky thing! I wish I was given an X79 motherboard and at least a hex core!

More likely, I would be given a system like the first one! And the PSU needs to be checked for bad caps, especially Elite caps that are bulging! They seem to be failure prone even with light use!

Probably if I had the same audio issue, I would just disable the RealTek and use my SoundBlaster ZXR!

BTW, that chip looks like it was made in 2013, so you're golden!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-24-2016, 07:07 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz View Post
                  OK here, photobucket uploads.
                  Ah... you mean *photo-fuck-it*
                  No wonder the shit doesn't work.

I just tried viewing this on another computer, FYI, and still nothing. (Perhaps because I am blocking their stupid advertising urls @ a.photobucket.com?? )
                  Last edited by momaka; 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

maybe some dirt is still inside of the audio jack and thats the reason it dosent work also check for bypass jumpers on front audio pins also i see it was custom built by chillblast in uk that why the logo is on front of the case
                    Last edited by dragos2009; 10-24-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Bungz: please read this:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...45&postcount=7

And then this:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hey

Normally I would use the attachments but there were a lot to upload.

Will bear in mind

Comment

Working...
                        X