MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 shows light, fan spin but no chime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 shows light, fan spin but no chime

I think the ic reflow itself looks good. Just be sure no pins are shorting but looks ok. You can perform a resistance check between each consecutive pair of pins to confirm.

Comment

Hi mon2,

Thank you. For my sanity can you tell me expected voltages on each pin coming out of chip to make sure all is good from it?

Comment

I do not have this board so you will have to visually inspect the part at your desk.

To check for shorts, meter in resistance mode (lowest scale) and place a meter probe on one pin -> other meter probe to the next pin on the same device. If you see ~0 ohms, check the schematic to see if the pins are actually soldered together or not. If not, there is a possible short in your reflow process.

Check the pin BEFORE and AFTER the pin being reviewed with the meter probe. You can quickly determine if there are any shorts on this reflowed IC using this simple method.

I think you will be fine to even use the DIODE mode of your meter in the same way. Meter in DIODE mode -> short the meter probes -> should beep.

Now proceed as per above and investigate any pair of pins that BEEP with the meter tests.

Comment

No beeps all around chip. And I have a new microscope!

Comment

Good. Proceed to review each of the surrounding parts against the boardview file for this logic board. Numerous parts were moved in the reflow process and now they must be restored in their proper locations.

Comment

Hi mon2,

I corrected the alignment - I will order new components to replace the lost.

Also I need to run a trace jumper on the bottom left, as you can see I tinned it already.

Does it look okay as starting point?

Comment

Looks very good!

Comment

Hi mon2,

Thanks.

As far as I can make out, these are the components to replace, highlighted in red (blue highlight is in wrong place).

Are you able to double check? I checked against schematic.

Only question I have is about this component XW9300, I cannot see where this would go, can you help?

Comment

Will check the parts for placement.

X9300 = PCB via. A fancy name for a laser drilled hole on the PCB that connects one PCB layer to another. You are not involved in this component - the via is already onboard (unless it was damaged but do not think it was).

Comment

Hi mon2,

I see this component is missing: C9316.

It is 560PF 10% 50V 0201.

I can only source 560PF 10% 25V 0201, is this acceptable as replacement?

Comment

Yes, it will be fine.

Capacitors should be higher than the expected run voltage and 25V is ample. Unless used for a voltage multiplier / boost circuit like the backlight then best to match the original spec.

On this part, try to match the 'X7R' spec = basically means that the capacitance will remain the same even over temperature changes.

Lower cost caps like 'X5R / Y5V', etc. will derate and fluctuate from the target capacitance as the temperature changes.

Comment

Thanks mon2.

I have ordered the needed components I pointed out (handling fee is so expensive because I am buying so few) and they will arrive by end of this week.

I will install them, then should I test system is working or not?

Comment

Hi mon2,

I completed the component replacement:

How this looking to you?

Sadly machine is still not working, it powers on and fan stays on but no chime and fan sounds like a jet engine.

Comment

L9330 pin 2 now showing as 0.06 on 20V mode

Comment

Do you have the CAPS key led toggle? If yes, try a PRAM reset upon power up.

Check the 'thermal' keyword in the schematics. Review each sensor on your board. There are a bunch of them.

For now do not worry about the inductor voltage which is linked to the GPU rail.

Comment

No CAPS key led toggle.

Comment

What is the voltage of PPBUS_G3H now ?

Comment

Hi mon2,

12.59V for PPBUS_G3H.

Comment

This rail is a good voltage and confirms that the SMC is chatting with this regulator OK.

Remove all power. Meter in lowest resistance scale.

What is the exact resistance to ground of PPVCORE_S0_GFX_REG ?

See attached for the thermal sensor review.

1) with meter in DC volts mode -> check the voltage to ground for each of the I2C / SMBUS lines (R5350 & R5351).

What are the voltages here ?

Confirm the same voltages are present @ pins 9 & 10 of J4002 connector.

2) Remove all power. Meter in DIODE mode.

Red meter probe to GROUND.

Black meter probe to pin # 8 of J4002. What is the reading ?

Black meter probe to pin # 9 of J4002. What is the reading ?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by mon2; 07-17-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Hi mon2,

Can you help with measuring point for PPVCORE_S0_GFX_REG please?

R5350 pin 2: 00.4 on 200m mode.
                                          R5351 pin 2: 00.3 on 200m mode.

Those voltages are same pin 9 and 10 of J4002 connector.

Pin 8: 759
                                          Pin 9: 762

Comment

Working...
                                          X