• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 300W

Manufacturer _________________ FSP
    Certification__________________ ATX 2.4 // 80+ Bronze

PRIMARY__________________________________________________________________________
    Topology_____________________Two-Transistor Forward
    Transient Filter________________4x Y-caps (2x '472' + 2x '222'), 2x X-caps (.68 + .228), 1x ferrite ring, 2.5x CM chokes (added 1x MOV)
    Bridge Rectifier________________1x GBU806 (8A, 600V)
    Inrush Current Protection_________-
    PFC__________________________APFC
    ______________________________Unidentified APFC/PWM Controller (possible CM6800)
    ______________________________1x unidentified APFC MOSFET
    ______________________________1x STTH8R06FP Boost diode
    Bulk Cap______________________1x Teapo LH 150uF 420V (85C) 22mmØ
    Main Switchers_________________2x JCS13N50FT N-Channel MOSFETS (13A/52A) RDS(ON)= 0.37~0.46Ω

SECONDARY________________________________________________________________________
    Group Regulation
    Passive Diodes Rectification
    +12V_________________________2x PFR30L60CT Schottkys (30A) VF= 0.53~0.60V
    +5V__________________________2x PFR30V45CT Schottkys (30A) VF= 0.41~0.47V
    +3.3V________________________ 2x PFR30V45CT Schottkys (30A) VF= 0.41~0.47V
    Filtering Caps
    +12V_________________________3x Teapo SC 3300uF 16V (105C) 10mmØ
    +5V__________________________2x Taicon 2200uF 10V (105C) 10mmØ
    +3.3V________________________ 1x Teapo 2200uF 10V (105C) 10mmØ + 1x Taicon 2200uF 10V (105C) 10mmØ
    -12V_________________________ 1x unidentified 8mmØ
    Supervisor IC__________________ Weltrend WT7527 (OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, OTP, SCP)
    Fan__________________________ 1x 120mm Be Quiet! Silentwings BQT T12025-MS-16 (12V, 0.20A, 1600 RPM, rifle bearing, 25.1 dBA max)

+5VSB_____________________________________________________________________________
    Integrated PWM Controller/Switching Transistor TNY277PN
    Filtering Caps__________________ 1x Taicon unidentified + 1x Teapo 1500uF 10V (105C) 10mmØ

Decent input filtering only lacking the MOV (already corrected):

Well sized bridge rectifier attached to the PFC heatsink:

There's one single MOSFET for the PFC stuff, can't read it with that huge choke in front:

The bulk cap is a measly 150uF, that's probably why they've penny-pinched on the NTC thermistor :

The main switchers are two 13N50 in two-transistor forward I think (please correct me if I'm wrong on this):

The PFC/PWM switching controller is cloaked up, it might be a CM6800 (like in other versions of the L8):

Doubled Schottkys all around:

The filtering caps are mediocre Teapo and Taicon stuff, but at least they're generously sized, with three 3300uF on the two +12V rails :

+5VSB is handled by a TNY277PN and a BR1060 Schottky:

The supervisor protections IC is a Weltrend WT7527, which manufacturer claims offers OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, OTP and SCP:

The fan has 'corrugated' blades, like the wings of a Ford TriMotor or a Junkers 52 :

^ The stuff works for this is the quietest PSU ever, dead silent.

The cabling:

I'll leave the craps onboard for a couple years to amortize them, then will recap with japs all around, a ~270uF bulk and a NTC thermistor.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c_hegge; 11-23-2014, 03:20 AM. Reason: Corrected OEM info

Comment

Don't recap it!! I would fan mod it though to run a bit cooler. I would also add 3 Singer sewing oil drops on the fan bearing and then seal it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        Don't recap it!! ...
        How's that?

Comment

Teapo and Taicon are not so bad. If you make sure that they didn't use general purpose series (Teapo SEK for example) and that the caps are not too close to hot parts, as resistors and heatsinks, they should be ok.

Comment

Forgot to post the label :

Now this was a tricky one for a hopeless photographer like here your servant :

^ One of the two shunt resistors on +12V, proof that there are really two rails with OCP.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
              Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 300W

Manufacturer _________________ HEC/Compucase
              Nope, it's not.
              FSP it is (APN Series)

HEC manufactures everything above 400W (like the 430W CM and 500W without CM), but not the 3x0W and 400W L8.
              Originally posted by TELVM View Post
              1x 120mm Be Quiet! Silentwings BQT T12025-MS-16 (12V, 0.20A, 1600 RPM, rifle bearing, 25.1 dBA max
              I think it was an ordinary sleeve bearing, no rifle bearing...
              The product number also points to an ordinary sleeve bearing.
              Last edited by Stefan Payne; 11-17-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

... The Be quiet! Pure Power L8 power supplies are reportedly manufactured by HEC (or Compucase) ...

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4643...for-budget-pcs

... Its model number is BQT T12025-MS-16 (12 V, 0.2 A, 1600 RPM, rifle bearing ...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/b...L8_500W/4.html

Comment

They are, but not the 300, 350 and 400W versions. As you can see on the transformer markings.

Well anyway, here some pics of a FSP-400APN
                  And a Test (GERMAN!) stating that it's an FSP made PSU
                  While the HEC ones look like this -> two big heatsinks like some other newer HEC made have...
                  And a comparison between a 300W Cougar A and a 300W Pure Power L8 (GERMAN!!)
                  http://www.computerbase.de/2014-01/3...etzteile-test/
                  And a review of a 450W System Power 7
                  and the 350W version

And here a shadow wings review, where the model number is something like T14025-MR-2
                  You can assume that if the fan would have a rifle bearing, the model nomber would be something like T12025-MR-16. While that M stands for Medium range (and -16 is the max. rpm of the fan). And the second one is the bearing type.

So trust me on this ;-)

Buttom Line:
                  The difference between System Power 7 300 to 400W is the casing, fan and warranty terms...
                  Last edited by Stefan Payne; 11-17-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

put a delta fan in it.

Comment

Looking at the evidence I think you're right Stefan, FSP it is . I'd edit it above but this forum doesn't allow editing after a time.

I'm not so sure about the fan bearing, click on 'Technical Data', then on '+ Fan/Cooling Technology':

http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/392

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                      ... The difference between System Power 7 300 to 400W is the casing, fan and warranty terms...
                      In the L8s there seem to be some variations, the L8 400W has two transistors for PFC, and a larger (220uF) bulk cap, at the least.

Comment

who cares about the bearing in a fan that moves hardly any air.
                        get a good (89CFM minimum) fan in there.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          put a delta fan in it.
                          And go deaf?
                          I like Delta fans, but most of them are simply too loud.

Comment

As a matter of fact I seriously contemplated removing the fan and running it passively to improve low-load efficiency, but after looking at those Teapos I thought better to play it safe and discarded the idea.

This PSU propels a very low power HTPC that only draws 55W from the wall at full overclocked steam. No need for Delta turbines.

Attached Files

Comment

I ended up recapping that Hipro, removed all the glue, redid tons of the solder joints, and put a wired grille for the exhaust. I replaced the tired Teapo primaries with Fhy. It runs very stable. Not even a Prescott P4 + 9600GT at full load could get the 12V to drop below 12.06V. A lot of the little caps failed high ESR, especially the 10uF 16V one on the primary controller board, it read 2.36uF and 36.3Ω ESR. Just for Wester547 I removed the main transformer to get more info about the unit
                              Attached Files

Comment

As far as removing the conductive glue goes, you missed some spots on the flyback transformer. And you recapped the Teapos with Fhys? Not exactly an improvement besides bulk capacitance but since it's in the voltage doubler you'll get away with it. And yes, that Hipro is silkscreened for another model, the 250W version of it, as stated. This exact model is actually based upon a very old design from Hipro, though, which is why it has a -5V rail. It is in fact this model, the HP-P302GF3, from 2001 (it is rated at 300W, notice... they took that design and labeled it 350W in your case). You will notice some differences in that unit, such as better ventilation, better primary capacitors, a slightly larger toroid, slightly larger heatsinks, a heavier output filter, a freestanding TO-220 rectifier instead of a single diode for +5VSB rectification, and an actual finless heatsink for the -5V linear regulator shared with the -12V linear regulator (-12V isn't linear regulated in the other units), and finally, a nice Nidec fan unlike the ADDA fans in the others.
                                Last edited by Wester547; 11-23-2014, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Haha I replaced the Teapo primary caps because they were 470uF that read ~375uF and they were ten years old. The Fhy were mislabeled 680uF that read ~565uF made in the first week of 2013, so I figured they'd be better overall, even though they're probably rebranded Fuhjyyu. This is definitely a well designed PSU for its time, and is still relevant in todays world I replaced the Adda fan with a Mitachi re-oiled fan

Comment

Also noticed that the first optocoupler still has some nasty glue on it too.
                                    Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                    Haha I replaced the Teapo primary caps because they were 470uF that read ~375uF and they were ten years old. The Fhy were mislabeled 680uF that read ~565uF made in the first week of 2013, so I figured they'd be better overall, even though they're probably rebranded Fuhjyyu. This is definitely a well designed PSU for its time, and is still relevant in todays world I replaced the Adda fan with a Mitachi re-oiled fan
                                    So you mean to say that the 560uF 200V Teapo LHs read 375uF?

Comment

Well, after ten years…hardly surprising, is it?
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

What caps did you use on the secondary side?
                                        Or was that the original configuration?

Comment

Here's the 400W DeluX I've been using on my Duron system. Maybe it's not that best for you but for me it works like a charm. I've also added a fan to the other end of the PSU. (what I mean is that the first fan is inside the PSU and the second one is screwed outside,next to the Molex wires,btw I'm going to take a pic later so you'll see what I did)

Now,here's pics. Note that all the voltages seem to be in spec,except 3.3V which seems to be a bit low. (at least according to the BIOS)

Primary caps are Seacon as I can see and the secondary caps are Saturn. (YC - Yang Chun iirc)
                                          Attached Files
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X