ACER Aspire V5-473P-5886 does not turn on with fully charged battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACER Aspire V5-473P-5886 does not turn on with fully charged battery

Hi, today I am working on an ACER Aspire V5-473P-5886. The laptop turns on fine with AC power & in Windows 10 it shows the battery ICON & the charging percentage & the AC power plugged in, but as soon as I remove the DC-in jack power cord, it just turns off too. I charged the battery external 100% by shorting the Battery ( AP13B3K ) enable (Yellow Wire) to GND. Now battery Voltages shows 15.2 volts. Even check with a Known GOOD battery of the same kind & model, problem is still the same. I checked all the MOSEFT on the motherboard, they all seem to be ok. I think this yellow wire is Battery Enable & this where the problem might be. Can anyone give some tips in this repairs. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mferna14; 06-10-2022, 04:12 PM.

Re: ACER Aspire V5-473P-5886 does not turn on with fully charged battery

Hi.

1) if you remove the battery - does the Windows OS properly reflect that the battery is no longer present ?

2) What are the voltage readings for the following ?

MBCLK
    MBDATA

AOL1413, pin # 4 (gate) with only the charged battery
    AOL1413, pin 1-2-3 with only the charged battery

PQ26, pin # 2 (gate) of the 2N7002 mosfet

Comment

Thank mon2, had a feeling you would come to my rescue. I had to close the workshop early this evening. First thing in the morning, I will provide you the above detail. Pls. wait for my reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        Hi.

1) if you remove the battery - does the Windows OS properly reflect that the battery is no longer present ? When Battery Removed the Icon shows "X" battery "NO BATTERY PRESENT"

2) What are the voltage readings for the following ?

MBCLK 3.3v When Battery cable connected & when Not Connected
        MBDATA
        3.3v When Battery cable connected & when Not Connected

AOL1413, pin # 4 (gate) With only the charged battery (PQ29 .092V when battery cable connected)
        AOL1413, pin 1-2-3 with only the charged battery (PQ29 0.088V when battery cable connected)

PQ26, pin # 2 (gate) of the 2N7002 mosfet
        (P26 Pin 2 0 Volts when battery cable connected only)

Comment

PQ26 is not turning on with the 0 volts. The 2N7002 requires a positive voltage on the gate to turn ON.

When ON, the 2N7002 build a voltage divider with PR107 & PR109 to keep the mosfet PQ29 ON.

Suspecting the issue is with the D/C# signal from the ITE (U27).

You can test with remove the short @ PR44 and applying ~3 volts onto pin #2 of the 2N7002 mosfet. The 3 volt rail can be sourced from the ALW or another part of the logic board.

Then 2N7002 should turn ON and in turn will turn on the mosfet @ PQ29. This should permit testing if the logic board is able to function with the battery.

The battery is detected using the I2C lines which is a positive indicator.

Comment

Thanks mon2, I will check & inform you....

Comment

Applied +3VPCU to the PR44, first I cut off the track that was going to the ITE (U27). Then connected the AC power adapter, +3VPCU dropped to 1.08V, I think there might be a shorted PQ16 IMD2AT108 or PQ26 2N7002K. Voltage should not be dropping out if all is ok... Right, I will check all the resistors too!!!

Comment

If you manually turn on the 2N7002 mosfet with the voltage to gate, you cannot use the adapter.

The 2N7002 turned on will apply the voltage from the battery to the logic board.

We only wish to confirm that the battery can keep the board running without the adapter.

Do not attach the adapter in these manual tests.

Comment

First thing what I did was to manually test the MOSFET 2N7002, I connected the dain & source with AON 3.3 Volts, but still did not turn on with the battery. I had another ACER Good/Working Motherboard with the similar circuit. Pls. make me understand Batt_En, pin # 3 on the battery connector (10 Pins) on the board (Yelow Cable very next wire after the Batt+ cables). Where is Batt_En signal coming from? According to the Schematics this pin is solder to a resistor & the other point to GND. And in both these physical boards the resistor is "NO STUFF, Missing". In the good working board, same circuit, there is NO Resistor also on both board. When I check the points of the resistor pads (Just pads, No Resistor present) with the multimeter on the working motherboard, it show approx. 1k ohms but on the Def. board which I am having problem with the battery, these pads are shorting (O ohms) even though the pad are far apart & not connected with any component, but still these pads are shorted. WHY is it so??
                  Last edited by mferna14; 06-11-2022, 07:43 PM.

Comment

To turn on the 2N7002, apply 3v3 to ONLY the gate.

Once this mosfet is ON, it will pull the gate of the battery mosfet to ground. The battery mosfet turns on with a negative voltage with respect to source / drain voltage.

Comment

Hi mon2, good day, I applied 3v3 to the gate of 2N7002 ONLY with an external power supply but no luck, the battery voltages did not come up. PQ29 is quiet as ever. When 3v3 volt is applied to gate of 2N7002 then the Gate of PQ29 gets around 2.9v to turn on this MOSFET & battery volts come up on the source & drain of PQ29, but NO volts on the gate of PQ29 or the source or the drain. 2N7002 is ok, no idea why it's not playing it's part????

Comment

1) Remove all power. No battery.

2) Meter in resistance mode (start with the lowest scale). If the measurements are '1' or 'OL' on the meter, switch to the next higher scale till there is a reading.

3) Measure and post the measurements + meter scale for each of the following:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                        source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                        gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

for the battery mosfet @ PQ29.

Comment

"mon2" Thank you very much for your help.... below is what you want to know:::
                          Multimeter in Resistance Mode (AUTO RANGE) for battery mosfet @ PQ29.
                          source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8) (+ Cable on Source & - Cable on Drian = 0.75Mega Ohms & Opposite direction meter cables 341 Kohms, I think some caps inbetween, reading goes high or low & then stays constant on a resistor reading)
                          source (1-2-3) & gate (4) Same reading either direction of the meter cables = 33.1 Kohms
                          gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8) 0.7 Mega Ohms (+ Cable on Source & - Cable on Drian = 0.75Mega Ohms & Opposite direction meter cables 341 Kohms, I think some caps inbetween, reading goes high or low & then stays constant on at a resistor reading)

Comment

Compared to the other readings, the source & gate resistance value seems low.

Remove the mosfet and check it again when it is off the logic board.

This mosfet may be defective.

reference:
                            http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...0good%20MOSFET.

Comment

"mon2" thanks for all the help... GUESS WHAT!!! Battery Enable switch SW6 was broken, the top shaft that presses in was broken, replaced it new one & all worked fine, battery charges & works well on battery. I told you that Battery Enable pin 6 of the battery connector does not seem to be ok, becasue I tested with another laptop, similar circuit, this is why I asked you where this pin leads to. I got the Boardview & then came to know step by step. You were altogether a great help, learnt a lot, problem solved... Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X