Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace a MSI Laptop capacitor! (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace a MSI Laptop capacitor! (Help)

Hey this is my first post,

So, basically, I have no experience with any capacitors or how to read them to replace/purchase a new one.

But, one physically broke off my laptop and I do not want to buy a new laptop if I can just another capacitor and solder a new one.

My capacitor looks very short and small with a purple stripe in the circle, as you can see in this picture . And the only thing printed on it is this: "214 PC 2206"

I really need help on finding this online to purchase even possible!

Thanks!

Re: Need to replace a MSI Laptop capacitor! (Help)

I assume the Capacitor is missing , as you put a wide picture for the board only , and since , you didn't put a zooming on where it is missing , and with no motherboard model , then , it remains to assume that the last line (2206) is 220mf 6v.
    I think we can help you more if you put more details .

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
      I assume the Capacitor is missing , as you put a wide picture for the board only , and since , you didn't put a zooming on where it is missing , and with no motherboard model , then , it remains to assume that the last line (2206) is 220mf 6v.
      I think we can help you more if you put more details .
      Thanks for the reply,

Sorry for the lack of information.

So here is the exact capacitor taken from my laptop

Here is my msi laptop model

This was released in 2012 pretty sure. Hopefully you assumed correct with the 220mf 6v.

Thanks again

Comment

I think it's 220uF 6V

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
          I think it's 220uF 6V
          You think you could link me to an ebay or post from any site with the exact so I know what exact one youre talking about?

I get multiple results on google.

Thanks

Comment

Yes , like cpt.charlie affirmed , it is a polymer capacitor 220mf , 6v . You can order it from any online sites , including Ebay and Amazon if no Electronics dealers near your place .

Comment

Yes , like cpt.charlie affirmed , it is a polymer capacitor 220mf , 6v . You can order it from any online sites , including Ebay and Amazon if no Electronics dealers near your place .
              I want to purchase them online, but some pictures aren't clear the ones I found? What I can make out is that the top number does not say "220" not sure if it does need to say that.

I will find listings for 200mf or 220uf not sure which it is, but the top number will be like 147. So, 147 PC 2206 will be shown, is that correct?

I REALLY don't want to buy the wrong one! Is it mf or uf or does it not matter?

Thanks

UPDATE:

I found these 3 on Digikey, which one of them do I purchase?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6TR-ND/4209271

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6CT-ND/4834392

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...DKR-ND/4834393

Thanks again
              Last edited by iGamer4tv; 01-18-2017, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iGamer4tv View Post
                I want to purchase them online, but some pictures aren't clear the ones I found? What I can make out is that the top number does not say "220" not sure if it does need to say that.

I will find listings for 200mf or 220uf not sure which it is, but the top number will be like 147. So, 147 PC 2206 will be shown, is that correct?

I REALLY don't want to buy the wrong one! Is it mf or uf or does it not matter?

Thanks

UPDATE:

I found these 3 on Digikey, which one of them do I purchase?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6TR-ND/4209271

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6CT-ND/4834392

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...DKR-ND/4834393

Thanks again
                mf or uf or MF or micro farads are the same thing , no worries
                The first lines usually are specific numbers related to the manufacturers , not of big importance to you .
                The ones at Digikey , the Panasonic ones are excellent , and the correct values (220 mf , 6v ) ...

Comment

The first lines usually are specific numbers related to the manufacturers , not of big importance to you .
                  The ones at Digikey , the Panasonic ones are excellent , and the correct values (220 mf , 6v ) ...
                  Okay, good to know. Slowly learning!

So, can I just pick any from the 3 links I listed and just purchase one? I really still just need a specific answer to which link to buy from.

Thanks!

Comment

Okay, good to know. Slowly learning!

So, can I just pick any from the 3 links I listed and just purchase one? I really still just need a specific answer to which link to buy from.

Thanks!
                    They are all the same product , what differs is the kind of packaging , related to greater quantities , and secure shipping etc. You only need one , better 2 for future precautions , so no big deal if any ...

Comment

They are all the same product , what differs is the kind of packaging , related to greater quantities , and secure shipping etc. You only need one , better 2 for future precautions , so no big deal if any ...
                      Sorry for being annoying, so I've narrowed it down to this due to cost, and fastest shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400602663261

Planning to buy 2 of those, should I go ahead and do it then?

Thanks

Comment

Sorry for being annoying, so I've narrowed it down to this due to cost, and fastest shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400602663261

Planning to buy 2 of those, should I go ahead and do it then?

Thanks
                        No problemo my friend .. If you need anything , i'll be around , and good luck ..

Comment

No problemo my friend .. If you need anything , i'll be around , and good luck ..
                          Okay thanks! I'm going to purchase the ebay link then, I'll update again if it fixed my laptop lol

Comment

Accept when reading specs on eg. a multimeter that can measure capacitance:
                            Capacitance Measuring Range: 20nF, 200nF, 2uF, 20uF, 200uF, 2mF, 20mF
                            Here 2mF = 2 milli Farad = 2000uF
                            mA, mV, mW, mF, is all milli units right.
                            Or do you distinguish between mf and mF?

Comment

Uh oh... I hope the values are correct then lol

Comment

UPDATE: Thank you for everyone who helped! I was able to just resolder on a new cap I received in the mail, and now my laptop is powering on again! No weird issues at all, AND it randomly seems to be a little faster/better temps (probably just a weird coincidence).

I was literally going to throw it in the garbage and preserve the working parts in it. BUT FUCK THAT, I got a solder, ,experience and smart people on Badcaps to help me spend $8 instead of hundreds on a buying a new laptop.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Exras View Post
                                  Accept when reading specs on eg. a multimeter that can measure capacitance:

Here 2mF = 2 milli Farad = 2000uF
                                  mA, mV, mW, mF, is all milli units right.
                                  Or do you distinguish between mf and mF?
                                  I get your point Exras ; Here i used mf as a simple abbreviation for micro farads . I was taking for granted you won't find a 220 milli farads = 220 000 micro farads in a MSI laptop . right ? ...

Comment

UPDATE: Thank you for everyone who helped! I was able to just resolder on a new cap I received in the mail, and now my laptop is powering on again! No weird issues at all, AND it randomly seems to be a little faster/better temps (probably just a weird coincidence).

I was literally going to throw it in the garbage and preserve the working parts in it. BUT FUCK THAT, I got a solder, ,experience and smart people on Badcaps to help me spend $8 instead of hundreds on a buying a new laptop.

Thanks again guys!
                                    Thanks for the update , and congratulations

Comment

Thanks again guys!
                                      Hey, there's a problem with your victory, it's that that cap is a bad cap. It's a chinese unbranded generic cap. It might work for awhile, but with the heat of the laptop it's almost guaranteed to fail.

Another this is we have no specs for the cap that you just put in there or what it's ESR is. The one you're replacing has an ESR rating for 13mOhms, that's an extremely low ESR. I can almost guarantee that china cap doesn't have a low ESR like that. You also replaced a polymer cap with an electrolytic. While this doesn't matter, the polymers are much more durable than electrolytics. Plus this is a cheap cap. I would've advised you spent an extra dollar or two on a good branded polymer cap, rather than a random one which might not last long.

The other problem is if you put a cap that's got too high of an ESR in the place of where one that can't have that high of an ESR, you could potentially cause more problems down the road than just the cap failing.

My advice is to replace that cap with a proper one, your choice.
                                      Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                                        The one you're replacing has an ESR rating for 13mOhms, that's an extremely low ESR. I can almost guarantee that china cap doesn't have a low ESR like that. You also replaced a polymer cap with an electrolytic. While this doesn't matter, the polymers are much more durable than electrolytics
                                        They're not just more durable (apparently - time will tell), they have the much lower ESR to begin with. It certainly does matter if you replace a solid polymer with a wet electrolytic type, especially if the ESR values are wildly different.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X