Matsonic MS8308EP Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matsonic MS8308EP Bad Caps

Got 9 bad caps on this Matsonic socket A mobo before she decided not to post.

All caps are made by G-Luxon

-Jordan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 10-02-2005, 04:41 AM.

Re: Matsonic MS8308EP Bad Caps

gonna recap it?

not recommended to leave it until she fails to post, better to recap as soon as you see some bulging/leaking.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Looks like it's the same board as PC Chips M810LMR and ECS K7SEM. You're lucky that the mosfets are not burnt (or at least they look OK).

Comment

The FET's have been getting hot, look at the discoloration on the PCB. I hope that they are still ok. Hopefully it will be worth a recap. Good luck!

Comment

Yeh, the back is really discolored. If it worked, it will be worth $20 or w/e in caps!

Comment

based on my experience the m810lmr boards are not really worth recapping. socket A, int. everything, picky about video cards, unstable b/c of chipset heat issues. use the $20 to buy yourself an 8rda off ebay.
            The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
              based on my experience the m810lmr boards are not really worth recapping. socket A, int. everything, picky about video cards, unstable b/c of chipset heat issues. use the $20 to buy yourself an 8rda off ebay.
              hmm Ill calculate the cost in caps and see if I cant just replace them with some used ones I have laying around. I will just be using the mobo for a folding rig anyway. Nothing workstation or anything of such.

Comment

okay, but make sure the used ones are of good brand and low ESR. btw I meant 8rda3 in my last post.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                  gonna recap it?

not recommended to leave it until she fails to post, better to recap as soon as you see some bulging/leaking.
                  Yeh it was actually a customers that they brought to me after she wouldnt post.

The board is now mine and its just a crapper that as I mentioned Ill just be using it for folding. So, obviously I dont want to put much if any money into the damned thing. My question is, it had those shitty G-Luxon caps. They were rated at 2200uf 6.3v and there were 12 of those and 4 chokes. Thats honestly the most caps and chokes Ive ever seen for a cpu supply curcuit ever and this is a low end board! Would it be alright if I replaced them with 1500uf caps (low-esr of course) that I took off another board? This board will be at my house so I can watch it and it honestly doesnt even need to be 100% stable.

WOuld that be fine?

Comment

1500 would prob. be OK. What are chokes?

Comment

Inductors. They form a filter network with the lytic caps.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

PCB layout is almost identical to PCCHIPS M810LR v8.0. / ECS K7SEM v3.0a / Amptron K7- 810LM Motherboard.

MD
                        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Well I recapped it with the 1500uf caps and it works!!!! Thanks guys!

Comment

Cool! Pics? What brand did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                              Cool! Pics? What brand did you use?
                              Sure! Just kind of an update too, Ive been running this mobo with the 1200mhz duron everyday 24/7 folding (100% cpu load), and it still is running rock solid!

As for the brand of caps, they were kinda mixed , just used what I had around since its just a folder mobo. They were samsung, choyo, and that other brown colored one (cant remember name) that comes with DFI mobos.....

Comment

from what you used, the sanyo (green) are good, the chemicon (brown) are good, the choyo are shit.
                                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I agree with willawake, the choyo caps are shit. They have been seen to fail many times here.
                                  My gaming PC:
                                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                  ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                  PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                  G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                  TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                  WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                  ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                  Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                  Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

At least you know what to replace in case of unstability

Comment

HaHa,

I just found this thread and I have the same Matsonic (it is a 266) and was wondering if I could replace just the single 2200/6.3 that is swollen. There is no discoloration of the board @ the FET's which is a good sign I guess!

To see that this mobo works w/a vast assortment including 1500 is great news.

Due to the low value of this board (are all EP's 266's? is the 266 really worth much more?) I'm going to use parts removed from other mobos.

I have an Abit KT7E that has a few slightly bulged caps and I'm going to get new stuff for that one. However, I don't think I'm going to replace all the caps. Since the 2200's all look perfect. (All caps are Jackcons and there are 6 types: green w/gold "LOW E.S.R.", black w/gold "LOW E.S.R.", and black w/white.

Comment

Don't replace just the one - the other will go bad soon so you'll have to replace them later anyway. And there's a risk of the MOSFETs shorting on these boards with bad enough caps...

Comment

Working...
                                        X