Looking for help with T48/TL866-3G programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help with T48/TL866-3G programmer

Hello! I have the above programmer. I work in IT and we wanted to work on some machines we are receiving back with BIOS admin passwords. Usually from takeovers that had IT departments that left.

I got the programmer today and have tried it on three different winbond chips. (an HP 840 G5 32MB and 16 MB chip and a Lenovo A485 16MB chip) All 8 pin BIOS ROM chips. One 32mb and Two 16mb.

Anyway, I am using the plier/probe connection that the kit came with to the only adapter it fits on with the programmer. The names on the adapter are similar, but not identical to what the software calls for you to use adapter-wise. For example, it says to use SOIC-8>DIP8, but the actual adapter says SOP8>DIP8. There was several adapters included, all saying SOP instead of SOIC so I figured maybe it was a translation error or something.

I will include the pictures below in the comments, but I have been doing the following:

Pin 1 on the chip is usually the dot in the corner, so I line up the red wire of the cable of the probe with that side of the chip. It goes back to the programmer and pin 1 of the adapter is in pin 1 of the ZIF slot as called for.

Every time I try to read from the pins I get "pins detected but overcurrent (VCC), maybe IC flipped?" error. So I try flipping the cable. I try flipping the adapter. I flip the probe. I desoldered one of the chips and tried it standalone. I tried using different packages of the same name. (i.e. the WBON8 instead of SOIC8 version of W25Q128FW chip.) Nothing. Same error every time.

As I said above I will include photos in the comments. I would appreciate if anyone here is familiar could maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong. I consulted the instructions, but no photos and no references to the adapter or probe. The correct software is installed (came with an install CD) and I can only verify this because it does actually detect the pins and know when it's connected to SOMETHING.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by boomshockpow; 12-14-2022, 07:42 AM.

Re: Looking for help with T48/TL866-3G programmer

The programmer expects you to place the chip exactly as shown in your image no:3 with an SOP8 to DIP8 adapter so it fits the programmers DIP socket.

In some cases it is possible to do what you are trying to do here: perform in circuit programming without a proper connection, but in my trials I never got it to work.

The proper way to do in circuit programming is via a ISP or ICSP or JTAG programming header if such exists.
    And if it doesn't then you have to desolder the chip from the board to read it.
    The reason is very simple: when you connect your programmer to the VCC line of the chip you are trying to power the whole motherboard, not just that chip!

As for it not working with the chip removed just check your pinout, measure it with a multimeter: I'm sure there is just something you overlooked in the wiring.
    You can make sure the programmer works by trying to read some actual old DIP chip if you have one so it would not require any adapters...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by boomshockpow View Post
      I got the programmer today and have tried it on three different winbond chips. (an HP 840 G5 32MB and 16 MB chip and a Lenovo A485 16MB chip) All 8 pin BIOS ROM chips. One 32mb and Two 16mb.

Anyway, I am using the plier/probe connection that the kit came with to the only adapter it fits on with the programmer.
      Besides what Per has already said you can`t use a SOP8 clip with a WSON8 chip,there are no legs on a WSON8 chip,the clip will damage the chip. You can buy a WSON8 pogo pin adapter but ymmv, better to deolsder and solder to a WSON8 adapter board.You could also solder wires to the bit of protruding solder,then to the adapter board.Some HP`s have extra pads for a SOP8 chip you can solder wires to them.
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-14-2022, 09:22 AM.
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Yeah as I had said I had tried removing one and was using it directly with that clip while it was desoldered from the board. I ordered some more solder today, so I will give a try to soldering one specifically to the WSON8 board as is displayed in the program. I am hopeful that will fix my issues.

I appreciate your reply!

Comment

on modern laptops the password is not just in the bios.
          on desktops there is obviously a jumper to clear it.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            on modern laptops the password is not just in the bios.
            on desktops there is obviously a jumper to clear it.
            So you are saying that the ROM chips that store the BIOS ROM dont store the password? Where is it then? Some computers have two chips, sure. But I'm really not understanding what you are trying to say here.

Comment

on modern laptops it may be in the bios, it's also in the TPM and/or the KBC chip
              what make/model laptops are they?

Comment

Understood! Most of the laptops we use have firmware TPM., so I don't think that would be an issue for most of what we deal with.

The first computer was an HP 840 g5, the second in this case was a Lenovo A485.

Comment

read these:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56634
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87588

Comment

Working...
                  X