Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer 5552G reballing (was reflowed by other service)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 5552G reballing (was reflowed by other service)

Had this brought in along with a couple other laptops with the note "has been reflowed before, client wants reballing now". The machine powered up with no display, it did not seem to boot either. Stock hard drive made weird noises, another hard drive didn't even spin up. So this was clearly not a GPU but a NB issue.

I opened it up to find the motherboard looking like in the first pic. Both the GPU and NB had been "reflowed", amateurishly. Nothing more than waving a hot air wand over the chips most likely. The owner was charged around $45 for this job, and they even had the guts to put their company name on the rear of the laptop...

Absolutely no flux had been used anywhere, and a couple corners of the GPU were bent upwards, with the balls elongated vertically. Really ugly job. That, when the GPU had nothing to do with this issue in the first place - it was the RS880M Northbridge as usual for these boards. Then, the heatsink looked like the second pic. They used cheap paste which melted off the chips, and the pad on the Northbridge was completely broken. No wonder it didn't work for too long!

So i was forced to give another reflow to the GPU (which wasn't supposed to be reflowed in the first place), for my peace of mind. It laid itself back into place quite nicely. Then i focused on the real issue - the RS880M Northbridge. Nothing i hadn't done before... removed, cleaned, reballed, soldered back on. Does it work now? Of course.

I'm not really happy with the color on either the GPU or NB, but the board came in like that. What's important is that it works. I replaced the thermal pad on the NB with a new one, cleaned up that mess of paste and applied MX-4 to both CPU and GPU. That isn't pictured as i didn't want any dust to get in, sorry.

While i was happily fitting the mainboard back into the case, i noticed something wrapped in black electrical tape, with a cable going into the bluetooth module. I was like, "this doesn't look like an antenna". So i unwrapped the tape to discover that... umm... well... They had accidentally ripped off the BT module connector, and they were too lazy to solder it back on, so they wrapped it in tape and hid it, hoping that nobody's gonna see it. Since they had that hot air wand handy, they could have at least done SOMETHING properly with it. But no. Or they could have simply stolen the whole module - that way nobody would've figured out that it used to be there, as Acer is notorious for specifying Bluetooth but not actually installing it in their laptops. But nope, they left it hanging in there, so that the next guy who opens it up was sure to find out how lazy they are.

So yeah, some proper use of a hot air wand later, the laptop had Bluetooth once again as well. And that's about it.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Acer 5552G reballing (was reflowed by other service)

Another fine rescue Unique. I can't believe they had the cheek to charge especially after breaking off the bt connector. It was interesting to see you heaying it with got air from inderneath.

Comment

That's a common solution for soldering connectors with hot air - if you hit it from above, the airflow is going to deform the plastic connector.

When you don't have IR, it's the only way to go for soldering these pesky surface mount plastic connector besides struggling with the soldering iron, which is impractical in most cases. Of course, it only works when there's no other sensitive parts on the bottom, but in most cases you can get away with it.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

when i was reading i wanted to say from bottom with hot air if you can`t solder with iron.

i got 3 iron`s and every iron got other 3 types of tips (size,power and spare)

usually when i have to change a connector i use my friend oven MUHAHA
        He is my best friend i swear I LOVE HIM
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

You seem to have a thing about ovens.

Here's the results of the stress test... passed with flying colors. And yes that's almost nine hours of FurMark. Why is it on battery? Well, it so happened that i woke up to find it like that - power had gone out in my area. 10 minutes later and the battery would've ran out, so i caught it just in time to get a nice screenshot.
          Attached Files

Comment

great work unique

Comment

Love ya work! The pictures are useful to those of us trying to learn stuff.

Comment

Cheers unique, that makes sense coming from underneath. I'd have gone for my soldering iron without a thought for hot air.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                  when i was reading i wanted to say from bottom with hot air if you can`t solder with iron.

i got 3 iron`s and every iron got other 3 types of tips (size,power and spare)

usually when i have to change a connector i use my friend oven MUHAHA
                  He is my best friend i swear I LOVE HIM

just 150-200w halogen light and all plastic connectors felloff like panties from a whore :-)

Comment

Excellent work as always. Can I send you my printer logic board for a reball?
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                      Excellent work as always. Can I send you my printer logic board for a reball?
                      Hi guys! I have a problem with Hp Presario CQ65-160SQ> northbridege ATI Radeon HD 4200 working fine after reflow. Then, after 1 weeks I got a black screen. Every 3 time of reflowing. Now I.m not shutting down my laptop about 3 weeks and it working fine. My question is> Why my laptop keep working? What if there is a problem with bios diagnostic? Can someone tell me if BIOS can be modified to jump over that GPU failure ?

Comment

Originally posted by Floare Emil View Post
                        Hi guys! I have a problem with Hp Presario CQ65-160SQ> northbridege ATI Radeon HD 4200 working fine after reflow. Then, after 1 weeks I got a black screen. Every 3 time of reflowing. Now I.m not shutting down my laptop about 3 weeks and it working fine. My question is> Why my laptop keep working? What if there is a problem with bios diagnostic? Can someone tell me if BIOS can be modified to jump over that GPU failure ?
                        that's because of ATIs balls. always fail after reflow, but with new balls it work flawlessly

Comment

Not the balls per se. The pads on the mainboard are very small on these AMD boards. This is a necessity due to the zigzag layout of the chip - board manufacturing techniques are less advanced than chip manufacturing ones, so routing traces is a challenge. That's why they have to use small pads.

When doing a reballing, the board is cleaned with braid and flux and all the old solder is taken off. Braid is slightly abrasive so it scrapes the pad surfaces a bit and they get slightly larger. When you place the chip with new balls, they solder perfectly to the renewed surfaces and they will no longer make problems for a long time.

I see you are from Romania. If you want your board reballed, you can send it to me by post or courier. PM me for details.
                          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X