X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad OST caps on an e-machine MCP61SM-GM

Hello everyone.

I'm working on a friends computer. She doesn't have a lot of money
    and she says she really needs it working. It was just shutting down randomly. It got to the point where it wouldn't stay on for more than a few minutes, if that. I decided to open it up and found six OST caps with bulging tops.

The OSTs are all rated the same, 1800μF, 6.3v. They have the markings RLZ O734 on them. I believe they have something to do with the voltage regulator circuit. There's a total of 9 of these 1800μF caps on the board. I was going to replace all 9 of them.

All read leaky with my ESR meter except one which is off to the side by itself. It's reading around 3070μF. Could this of caused all the other ones to go? I was thinking maybe the power supply caused the problem even though the power supply tested fine with my power supply tester.

Also, I'm not 100% sure what capacitor replacement I should go for. I read that the RubyCon MBZ series would be a good replacement but I couldn't find them for sale on BadCaps or on DigiKey. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Bad OST caps on an e-machine MCP61SM-GM

Please confirm the power supply is NOT a Bestec ATX-12E.
    It has known issues and should be replaced IMMEDIATELY.

Comment

I should of said that it is not a Bestec. It is a Delta Electronics, Inc.

Comment

I'm assuming they are 8mm Diameter? If so, use these (https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=152). Replace ALL caps on the board made by OST. They will often fail with no visible signs of it.

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        All read leaky with my ESR meter except one which is off to the side by itself. It's reading around 3070μF. Could this of caused all the other ones to go? I was thinking maybe the power supply caused the problem even though the power supply tested fine with my power supply tester.
        Probably not, but replace it anyway. OST are just a junk brand and will fail prematurely with no external cause.

EDIT:
        Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Please confirm the power supply is NOT a Bestec ATX-12E.
        It has known issues and should be replaced IMMEDIATELY.
        It's sAM2. The 12E was only used in some s478 PCs.

While you're at it, though, pop the cover on the PSU and just make sure it doesn't have bad caps too.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Also, I am having trouble removing the bad capacitors. This is my technique. I had solder the place where it's soldered onto the board, I put my desoldering braid on and try to remove the solder. The reason that I add the solder is because there's so little solder on there, I have trouble melting it. My hope is the solder that I add combines with the solder on there. This has worked in the past.

The only cap I kind of got off didn't work so well. I got one connection unsoldered just fine but the other one was stuck. I would add solder, remove solder, I couldn't get it off. The terminal came out of the capacitor and now is stuck in the board. Any suggestions?

Comment

Don't bother removing the solder to take the caps out. It's all but impossible. Just keep it melted and walk the cap out 1 leg at a time.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Don't bother removing the solder to take the caps out. It's all but impossible. Just keep it melted and walk the cap out 1 leg at a time.
              +1
              This is the method I use:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=23

What kind of soldering iron are you using and how many watts is it rated for? I would suggest 35+ W or 50+ W if you have never recapped a motherboard before. Grab yourself some no-clean flux as well. Apply a very small amount to the joints before heating with your iron. It will help with the desoldering A LOT.

Comment

I use a radio shack digital soldering station. I can use Weller parts interchangeably with it. I think Radio Shack just through there name on it and maybe used some cheaper parts in it. The model number of mine is 64-053 and it's a 60watt. I really wanted a Weller but this was on sale and we didn't really have the money at the time.

I've replaced capacitors in broken electronics before but never on a computer motherboard. I'll try the not removing the solder idea. With the part of the leg that is stuck in the hole right now and broken off, I tried walking that out. It just seemed to be stuck, even with the heat from the iron. I had my iron set to around 600F. Was that too high?

Thanks.

Comment

600F is not too high, it may actually be too low. There's large ground planes in that area which absorb the heat quite fast.
                  Go as high as 700-750F, add some solder to that spot ...try to grab it with some tweezers to pull it out.

Comment

So I managed to get the broken lead out with the help of my fiancee and a pair of tweezers. She ended up carefully pushing threw on the other end. I started on trying to remove another capacitor using the method described in this forum and the cap started pulling apart just like the last one. I forgot to use the flux though. Maybe that's the problem. Although I have flux, it's not no-clean flux.

I don't want to damage the board by having the iron on it too long. Do you guys think I should try and order a smaller tip for my iron? It's a fairly big tip. For the projects I've worked on in the past, it's worked great. But everything's so small on this board and these capacitors are really starting to upset me. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Comment

I go with around 840*F (450*C) on motherboards. It always works perfectly. The perfect tip is a small chisel tip.

Comment

Okay, I will try the 840F with a small chisel tip and see if that works. I'm gonna wait until my girl wakes up and see if she'll give me a hand with it. Just a quick question, what's the blue stuff on the snakes mouth? And do you know what kind of snake it is?

Comment

It's actually a blue tongue lizard. They are very common in Australia

Last edited by c_hegge; 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Try preheating the board all over with a hair dryer then a bit more on the caps
                            sometimes helps.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Okay, I'll try that because what I've been doing is not helping. I can get one lead out without any problems, but the other one always gives me trouble, with all the capacitors I've tried now...a total of 4. It's hard for me to do this by myself and my fiancee's been sleeping all the time lately. Once the parts actually come, I'll devote the whole day to removing them. I was thinking of maybe trying my heat gun. I've removed parts in the past on dead boards and stuff. I've never used it to replace parts though. Do you guys think by the time it gets hot enough to melt the solder, it'd ruin the board?

Comment

The solder should melt pretty much instantly once the iron touches it.

Comment

It doesn't. In fact, I have used two different irons, one being my Radio Shack digital soldering station and another being a portable butane one. I've tried a chisel tip and my regular tip and, for example, on the one I'm working on now, the leg broke off again. I put the tip of the iron to the lead and I tried adding solder by putting the solder on the other side of the lead and the solder wouldn't even melt. I had the digital one turned all the way up to 850F and the portable as hot as it'll go. Something's absorbing the heat. I don't get it. I've had trouble removing parts before, but never like this.

Comment

When you add solder, try putting it on the tip of the iron. That will improve heat transfer.

Comment

I use a radio shack digital soldering station. I can use Weller parts interchangeably with it. I think Radio Shack just through there name on it and maybe used some cheaper parts in it. The model number of mine is 64-053 and it's a 60watt.
                                      That's a fine station. Should have no problem.

I don't want to damage the board by having the iron on it too long. Do you guys think I should try and order a smaller tip for my iron? It's a fairly big tip.
                                      You can keep the iron on the joint for up to a minute (if you have to) just as long as you don't scrape the board or push on it with the iron's tip (this is what usually damages boards). Shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to melt the solder on the joints, though.
                                      Also, it's easier to ruin a board with a small hot tip than with a larger one. I have a large 5 mm chisel tip, and it works great for motherboard caps, even down to 320C / ~610F (I prefer to run it at 350C / ~660F) with my method of desoldering (see below).

Originally posted by lti
                                      When you add solder, try putting it on the tip of the iron. That will improve heat transfer.
                                      +1
                                      What I have found through experience is that it's best to put a big blob of solder on the tip of the iron, then put some flux (liquid or paste) on the joints of the caps. This really facilitates the "walk out" method. If the solder is not completely melted, that's when the leads on the caps can pull out. I killed a few good caps before I learned this.

But flux is the key here. Once you use it, you'll never look back to soldering without it.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Hey, that seems to be working. The flux I have though isn't no-clean. I ordered some no-clean flux and it should be here tomorrow. I still cannot get the broken lead out though. I'm thinking of trying to maybe drill it? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the flux off the board without damaging the board? I know they make a special solution for it. Any other options though? Would diluting some rubbing alcohol damage the board? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X