Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad OST caps on an e-machine MCP61SM-GM

^
    Alcohol won't be a problem. I've even used 99% Isopropyl without incident.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Isopropyl is actually the preffered type to use on circuit boards. Rubbing alcohol leaves white residue behind.

How long is the broken lead? If it's got a bit of length left you should be able to remove it by heating the joint with your iron while pulling it with tweezers.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        The flux I have though isn't no-clean.
        Make sure to clean it then.

I still cannot get the broken lead out though. I'm thinking of trying to maybe drill it?
        You're very likely to damage the board this way.

As others stated isopropyl alcohol works great for cleaning flux.

Comment

Sorry guys, I didn't realize we was on page two of this post. The isopropyl is working great. I thought it'd eat threw the board but it seems to be doing the trick. I'm using a 70% solution.

Grabbing the broken lead with a pair of tweezers is a no go though. I've tried and I just cannot get a good grip. I can take pictures if you want. I was thinking of perhaps trying to push it through again from the other side while heating it.

With one of the capacitors I removed, the solder stayed in the holes. I've tried adding solder and removing it to get it out but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions there? I was thinking of taking one of the good caps and heating the lead up while holding it on the solder in the whole but was afraid the temperature of the iron would damage it before it melts. I'm currently at 842F.

Also, the flux and higher temperature was the solution to removing these things it seems. I've tried without the flux on one just to see and sure enough, it wouldn't come out. I add the flux and viola! I can walk them out every time.
          Last edited by Spork Schivago; 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot I already mentioned the no-clean flux I ordered in a previous post.
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Grabbing the broken lead with a pair of tweezers is a no go though. I've tried and I just cannot get a good grip.
            I had to do this only twice on two different boards and I did it in 2 different methods.
            With the 1st method I just melted the solder around the broken lead with the iron, then grabbed it with a sharp pair of cutters and then pulled it out (note I pulled the lead out from the solder side, not it's normal side).
            With the second method, I used a thick needle, then pushed the lead out (from the components side towards the solder side again) after I heated it with the iron for a few seconds.

Also, the flux and higher temperature was the solution to removing these things it seems. I've tried without the flux on one just to see and sure enough, it wouldn't come out. I add the flux and viola! I can walk them out every time.

Yup, like I said, once you use flux you will never go back to soldering without it .

Comment

With one of the capacitors I removed, the solder stayed in the holes. I've tried adding solder and removing it to get it out but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions there?
              I don't even bother to remove the solder on multilayer boards like PC motherboards, too much of a pain in the ass. Just make sure the leads of the new cap are aligned with the holes, heat the two pads alternately with your iron, while slowly pushing on the new cap in one direction and then in the other.

You'll get the hang of it quickly, the only tricky bit is keeping the new cap aligned while pushing on it, sometimes it tends to wander away before the leads push thru the molten solder.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I used to walk capacitors back in that way but the method is slow and it doesn't work well when the capacitor is between PCI slots. Walking out was hard enough. Walked in leads may not solder well in the vias and the constant flexing makes them come out like earwig tail pincers. All low quality work and done enough times results in bad solders. Flux is necessary for repeatable high quality work.

After clearing the holes with a straight sided object (no point, no taper) I trim and flux the leads. This lays flux all through the via and when the heat is applied the solder leaps from the walls of the via onto the lead providing the same strength and quality as the original wave soldering. The better quality the original solder the more like factory the hand soldering looks.

Flux is easily removed with a cotton swab and any alcohol or carb cleaner that doesn't have a smell too offensive for indoor use. Adding and removing flux a few minutes later may seem like a waste of time but it most certainly is not. Flux makes the impossible possible.

Flux on the joint. Solder on the iron.
                sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                X