Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD RS880M/HD4250 (216-0752001) - bad chip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD RS880M/HD4250 (216-0752001) - bad chip!

I think we have the new Geforce 6150 with this one, got 3 laptops with the same issue in a row, with this same chipset, AMD RS880M.

#1. HP 625. Been previously reballled ~9 months ago, failed in the same way. No video and 2 blinks of caps lock. Noticed that a capacitor was missing on top of the chip and another one was just hanging off the edge of the pads.

Took the chip off and found oxidized pads on the board. Also on this particular board the pads on the outside of the chip are very very small, no wonder it gets unsoldered. Added the missing cap, reballed again and soldered back to the board. Working fine.

#2. MSI CR610. Hadn't been repaired before. Had graphics corruption and then the owner reinstalled Windows 7. Booted Windows without a video driver, but would not even boot into Safe Mode once the driver was installed.

Obvious overheating marks on the backside of the board where the chipset is, and on the substrate of the chip itself. Took the chip off, same overheating marks on the board under the chip, and on the contact side of the BGA. Attempted reball, came out perfectly but the chip didn't make it. Currently it lights up but no video at all, found a dead short on 2 of the little ceramic caps on the chip. Currently waiting for a new chip to arrive, i found a supplier of chips already reballed with lead, so it should work fine then.

#3. HP G62. No video, no previous repairs. Heatsink clogged with dust. Reflowed GPU (HD4550) and it came up, worked for 1 day then died again.

Noticed that the HDD led does not light up indicating the system does not boot at all, so this was actually NOT a GPU issue, but a NB one instead. It likely started up because some heat reached the NB as well. Will reflow the NB too and hopefully it'll work.

Just a heads up for everybody, it seems like this RS880M chip has issues, and replacement is the recommended solution.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: AMD RS880M/HD4250 (216-0752001) - bad chip!

same issues with the rs780 also.
    The chip 216-0752001 can be successfully replaced with 216-0752007 if the video is dedicated or else is needed bios modding.

Comment

Reflowed NB of the HP G62 and it works. Hope it STAYS working this time.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Another thing to note is that, just like the RS780M/HD3200, the RS880M/HD4250 does NOT have a built-in thermal sensor. I've yet to figure out if the chips themselves have a flaw, or this is just the manufacturers skimping on cooling like always. At least in the MSI, that chip got COOKED. I'll upload some photos later.

There does seem to be a way to monitor its temperature tho, as the HP 625 did report the chipset temperature via the EC. I use HWINFO32/64 for reading temperatures. The HP G62 did not report temperature for the chipset, and the MSI is still unknown, i'll find out when the replacement chip arrives.

Comment

I've personally seen loads of RS780Ms going out the window. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a problem.
          Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

thanx

Comment

Replacement chipset for the MSI arrived today. It's currently baking to remove any moisture that's gotten into it from shipping in this cold weather, so it does not go POP during the soldering process.

It certainly looks different from the one that was in it. For a change, it's nice and GREEN. The original chipset is noticeably browned due to overheating. Pics to follow tomorrow when i solder it to the board.

Comment

Nice, keep us updated!

Comment

ati 216-0752001 can replace with 216-0752007 ? i have tried 216-0674022 replace with 215-0674022 haha wrong code my mistake but all volt is ok but no display.

Comment

215-xx is from a desktop mainboard and u also need to mod the bios in order to work

Comment

Originally posted by sorinac View Post
                      215-xx is from a desktop mainboard and u also need to mod the bios in order to work
                      what does mod means to you?
                      you need to putt another file?
                      solder something? other voltage?
                      what modding do you mean?
                      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

editing the bios to support the new chip : adresses, irq's etc the chip needs .
                        hard to make and time consuming . better buy a new orig chip

Comment

Well, the result for the MSI is... still no display. Also the original chip does not appear to be shorted once i removed it from the board. The replacement chip measures ok on the board... Well, guess this board is dead. Moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                            Well, the result for the MSI is... still no display. Also the original chip does not appear to be shorted once i removed it from the board. The replacement chip measures ok on the board... Well, guess this board is dead. Moving on.

Thanks for the valuable info ! Been into loads of AMD reball & shorted NB and GPU replacement and %70 of them worked well. Not much difference compared to Nvidia but I guess AMD is the most trouble chip compared to Nvidia.
                            At least I can say so.

Comment

I think this board was just bust to begin with. Here the pics. Notice the obvious discoloration marks.

I looked at the recent works of another reballing service here in Romania, and among the latest repairs are two with RS880M chipsets, so that pretty much confirms my suspicion.
                              Attached Files

Comment

My old (well, from 2010) laptop had HD4250 graphics!
                                I tested lots of stuff (mosfets, caps, diodes, transistors, etc...) on the motherboard but it all was good.

"Noticed that the HDD led does not light up indicating the system does not boot at all, so this was actually NOT a GPU issue, but a NB one instead. It likely started up because some heat reached the NB as well. Will reflow the NB too and hopefully it'll work."
                                My old laptop was the same way! No boot, no HDD activity, it was weird!

Potential lawsuit?
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

And that HP G62 came back again... Gonna replace the NB this time.

Comment

in my experience i never reflow-ed this type of chips. I always reball them.

Comment

I have one already reballed so i'll just swap it. More peace of mind that way.

Comment

Eventually decided to go by what you said and reball the existing NB chip, did not replace. Working fine now. But darn those pads are small. Before cleaning, they were literally the size of a pin tip - no wonder they get unsoldered.

Managed to move a few 0402 ceramic caps when lifting the chip and cleaning the board, had to place and solder them back. But other than that, reballing went smoothly with no issues.

You can also notice the shit quality of the board's solder mask, which scraped off in a few places.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X