Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T410 strange problem

Hello all,
    I have a t410 which had a fan erro problem.
    I replcaed the fan but now when I start the laptop sometimes it gives me a 1-3-3-1 beep error code and black screen.
    I searched it on the internet and said it's ram or motherboard error.
    The weird part is that when I change memory dimm and or slots the laptop works fine and for many hours but if I reboot it it gives me the same beeo error pattern.
    I update the bios as well but no luck.
    Has anyone faced this kind of problem? is it indeed motherboard problem or it's something with the bios?

Re: T410 strange problem

What' s wrong with the old fan? If it still spin when start you can try to put it back and see if the beeps stops, if so then it could be the fan .
    The Night Drop Down, I Will Keep Try Until..., You Never know.
    Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

The old fan was stuck , but I already tryed and put it back and I have the same error.
      I didn't notice if the problem was there before I remove the fan at the first time.
      If I leave it some time off it starts normal, and sometimes when I reboot it everything seems ok but if I shutdown the laptop and after 2-3 seconds I try to open it it gives me the 1-3-3-1 error beep code.

Comment

Try to flash the bios instead of update.
        Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

I think flashing and updating the bios is the same.
          What do you mean by "flash"?
          I download the bios file from lenovo site and run it and I also burned a cd with bios and update it from dos.

Comment

Originally posted by rippergr View Post
            I think flashing and updating the bios is the same.
            What do you mean by "flash"?
            I download the bios file from lenovo site and run it and I also burned a cd with bios and update it from dos.
            Flashing means, removing the bios chip from mobo, put on bios programmer, find a bios dump for this mobo, erase and flash/write it !
            Updating is not the same, cause only some parts are programmed

Comment

ok , the problem is that I don't have a programmer, my old is broken.
              You think it's bios problem?
              I tried today 3-4 times to shutdown and when I open it it worked but when I but all the screws it's made the same again.

Comment

Maybe it make some contact by the screws and that is why, try without screws and if it works then check that they make contact some where on the mobo.
                Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

I thought that too but I think it something random.
                  I tried to remove all screws and I just pressed the power button to open it and then with external mouse I reboot it several times and it opened.
                  I shutdown it 2 -3 times and then with no aparently reason it wouldn't start.
                  So the only solution I am thinking is not to shutdown the laptop but put it on sleep.

Comment

I can't figure out what happening.
                    If I put the laptop on hybernate or sleep and open it anytime of the day or even the next day everything working fine. If I shut it down then the most of the times it gives me the 1-3-3-1 error.
                    Anyway I am closing the laptop and I will just tell them to put it on sleep instead of shut it down.
                    Problem unsilved and still a mystery
                    Thanks for your help everyone

Comment

The lapto pcame again with the same problem "FAN ERROR" on screen.
                      This time I thought to investigate a little more.
                      I gave a look at schematics at page 69 which is the fan connector.(the schematics is not 100% accurate. the Q1 in schematics has 8 legs in my board has 6)
                      I measure at q77 which is the fan voltage 5,09V on pin 3 and no voltage on pins 1 and 2.
                      At Q81 I measure 3,37V at pin 3 and no voltage on pin 1 and 2.
                      At Q1 I have 5,09V on pin 1 and 5,09V on pin 3 or 6 (I don't know exactly what pin is because the schematics are not exactly the same) and no voltage on all the other pins.
                      Also in c301 I have no voltage and neither on pins 1,2,3 on fan connector.
                      Can someone quide me what could be the problem?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Replace fan again. IBM boards are checking the speed of the fan and if it is not proper give that error.

Comment

I have two fans and both fans do the same

Comment

You have to check the voltage continuously with an oscilloscope on pin 2 of q77 and R987 from the moment you press the power button. If U23 raises the signal FAN_ON and U42 receives the FAN_ON and not the right voltage from FAN_FRQ signal, assumes that there is a problem with the fan. All IBM's thinkpads were strong build machines but had problems with the fans.
                            Last edited by atsio; 05-07-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Can I test it with another way because I don't have an oscilloscope.
                              And something off topic.
                              Do you think I should have/buy an oscilloscope?
                              Do I really need it for laptop/computer repairing .
                              I don't have any knowledge working with oscilloscope except some classes in high school.
                              There are some people saying it is necessary and some saying that you dont need osciloscope in modern laptop and motherboards.

Comment

Try with the multimeter to see if there is any voltage reading.
                                You need it (oscilloscope) when voltages appear for a fraction of time, voltage is oscillating, checking voltage of fets, checking data signals, frequencies (if you do not have a frequency counter), timing of signals, checking ripple, accuracy of voltage readings (if you do not trust your multimeter's accuracy), audio out, and the list goes on.
                                Is good to have one.
                                Last edited by atsio; 05-07-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

On pin 2 of q77 I have 3,36V when I pres the power button and then after 2-3 seconds goes to 0V.
                                  I couldn't find the R987 and the 34 pin of U42 doesnt have a resistor.
                                  I am attaching two images of U42 and the type of motherboard maybe someone have better schematics.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I' ve told you to measure on R987 and not on pin 34 of U42 because it is easier. R987 is 0 ohm and probably not installed. Measure on pin 34.

Comment

Ok, I have 2,34V the moment I press the power button and then instantly goes to 0,6-0,7V and then goes to 0V and the fan stop spining

Comment

Did you use a used fan? If yes replace with a new one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X