hard drive logic board Diode identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard drive logic board Diode identification

I need to replace this small diode that is found on the logic board of a hard drive. What type of diode is this so I know I buy the correct one.

Attached Files

Re: Diode identification

What type of drive? there are different types.
    Where is the diode in the circuit? is it across the supply voltage? if it is it is likely a zener or TVS diode
    Last edited by R_J; 09-28-2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Re: hard drive logic board Diode identification

It looks like this BZX585-C3V3

Comment

Hi,
        If its a protection diode,remove it and recover data.Dont use furter without diode !

Comment

The hdd should turn on without that TVS / zener diode installed, but you loose over voltage protection. The new PSUs where you can disconnect unused cables aren’t standardized. So a Thermaltake cable.will fit in an EVGA PSU, but it reverses the voltages on the sata end. And then exact this will happen when you turn the computer on the first time. Guess how I found out.
          I’ve replaced the diode and kept the HDD running. Got over 8000 hrs on it, no problem.
          Last edited by CapLeaker; 09-30-2022, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            The new PSUs where you can disconnect unused cables aren't standardized. So a Thermaltake cable.will fit in an EVGA PSU, but it reverses the voltages on the sata end.
            I was recently looking at my Antec NeoHE "modular" and a random SATA power cable that seemingly uses the same connector. As skeptical as I usually am I tried tracing the wires on the cable, and lo and behold: the wires don't go in the same order. Might have saved a zener diode's life here...

I wonder how many versions of the cable here, surely hope it's not all 180-odd combinations...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              I was recently looking at my Antec NeoHE "modular" and a random SATA power cable that seemingly uses the same connector. As skeptical as I usually am I tried tracing the wires on the cable, and lo and behold: the wires don't go in the same order. Might have saved a zener diode's life here...

I wonder how many versions of the cable here, surely hope it's not all 180-odd combinations...
              Here is my old venture:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58320
              Last edited by CapLeaker; 09-30-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I ended getting a 12v to 5v dc-dc converter. It didn't work, output was shorted. Turns out there was a zener crowbar that was fried and melted the plastic case.
                Oddly enough it isn't obviously clear which connector is input and output for the dc-dc converter, so guess what happened...

Comment

Working...
                X