• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fish Tank LED Power Supply Gets Hot then shuts down

Originally posted by stj View Post
    yes, run it a see how much current is flowing
    and recap that psu starting with the output caps and the small stuff
    I think it's going to be cheaper for me to just replace it. And since I'm doing that, I think it might be even better to try and replace both of them with a single PSU.

Comment

yes, run it a see how much current is flowing
      and recap that psu starting with the output caps and the small stuff
      So, with just one power supply connected, and turned on, the 5V line is drawing 5.6 amps.

Comment

thats a hell of a lot - i wonder what it's driving!

Comment

thats a hell of a lot - i wonder what it's driving!
          Yeah, I thought so too ... I dunno what it's driving, but I do know that this very product put them out of business because someone else got a patent on whatever is inside of the lightbox ... but I couldn't begin to speculate on what's so special about these almost $2,000 (at the time) fish tank lights nor why they were so popular.

So at this point, I'm looking for a 1,000 watt ATX power supply that can supply 15 amps on the +5 and 20 to 25 on the +12 minimum. They aren't cheap though.
          Last edited by EasyGoing1; 09-30-2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

i read that they got put out of business by a bogus patent for " a light fixture containing leds that mounts on top of an aquarium enclosure"

thats almost as bad as the bullshit between apple and samsung over "rectangular casing with rounded corners"
            and "progress bar to indicate remaining time for software to complete a task" or some shit like that.
            Putin needs to bomb your patent offices!

Comment

i read that they got put out of business by a bogus patent for " a light fixture containing leds that mounts on top of an aquarium enclosure"

thats almost as bad as the bullshit between apple and samsung over "rectangular casing with rounded corners"
              and "progress bar to indicate remaining time for software to complete a task" or some shit like that.
              Putin needs to bomb your patent offices!
              Well, The patent office would never grant a patent purely on such a vague description. And from what I read, it was about the technology inside the light that was at issue. I don't know why it's so special ...

What really concerns me about the whole patent thing is that this company was manufacturing and selling these lights long before the other company got its patent. And I would tend to think that they would have been exempt from any liability given that being true ... I mean what's to stop someone from stealing an idea, getting a patent on it then screwing the inventor? Just doesn't seem right to me.

But what are your thoughts on using a single 1000-watt ATX for these lights? You think it will work?

Comment

i think you need to check the current on the 12v line.

it could be mostly using 5v,
                those old AT psu's had mostly 5v output, the 12v was only for the harddrives.
                in that case an ATX is useless because their main output is 12v

Comment

i think you need to check the current on the 12v line.

it could be mostly using 5v,
                  those old AT psu's had mostly 5v output, the 12v was only for the harddrives.
                  in that case an ATX is useless because their main output is 12v
                  My meter will bust a fuse after 10 amps and those fuses aren't cheap.

OK, so I read it with this shunt resistor

And I read 44mV when it settled down ... initially it was over 50 but that didn't last more than half a second or so.

Not sure how to calculate the current based on what I have here...

I photoshopped the lettering on the shunt so its easier to see.

Also, the red circles are where the wire was connected and I took the reading at the green circles.

After doing some Googling, I think what I'm seeing here is that there is 8.8 Amps on the 12V side.

And if that is the case, then if I double the amps, that would be roughly 16 to 20 amps on 12 and about 10 to 15 amps on 5 ... wouldn't an ATX work in this situation if I got one rated for 1,000 Watts that could handle 25A on 12V and 15A on 5V as a minimum requirement?
                  Last edited by EasyGoing1; 09-30-2022, 09:42 AM.

Comment

20A on each rail is under 500w i'm sure.
                    tempting to use 2 chinese psu's - one for each voltage.

or a meanwell dual output - if they have a compatable one

Comment

Take the lamp apart and see how it's wired. Using that much +5 when +12 is available is kind of weird.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        Take the lamp apart and see how it's wired. Using that much +5 when +12 is available is kind of weird.
                        Are you thinking that might have been a possible cause for the one power supply dying?

Comment

No, I'm curious why it's drawing 28W on the 5V line

Comment

dont you have a DC clamp-meter btw?
                            i thought everybody got one when uni-T released the cheap one!

Comment

I had one but I did not think it was that cheap but it only lasted a couple of years and then it would not read any dc current anymore

I just have not bought another one yet but plan on doing this again when I need to have one for something that I can not use my meter for
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply
                              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

maybe the opamp died - easy to diagnose the fault in them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

dont you have a DC clamp-meter btw?
                                  i thought everybody got one when uni-T released the cheap one!
                                  I don't have a clamp meter ... got a recommendation?

Comment

UT210e

Comment

Uni-T, Bside, Extech, Fluke…
                                      The only thing about Uni-T is that you have to make tripple sure it’s the meter you want. Some are doing only DC, not AC, etc. Your better off to go to the official Uni-T website and see what you want, then look for that specific model. Then compare pics etc.

Comment

Yeah, another vote for the UT210e from me.

Comment

UT210e
                                          Originally posted by diif View Post
                                          Yeah, another vote for the UT210e from me.
                                          Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                          Uni-T, Bside, Extech, Fluke…
                                          Could this meter replace my MESR-100 ESR meter? Does it have ESR capability? If so, I could send this one I just bought back and get the UT210E almost at a straight swap - cost wise.

Comment

Working...
                                          X