No announcement yet.

Asus strix b660-i itx, bios unlock, FPT Error 167: Protected Range Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus strix b660-i itx, bios unlock, FPT Error 167: Protected Range Registers

Hello,
    I updated my pc, from Evga z270 itx to Asus b660-i itx motherboard. In my old z270 motherboard everything whas easy because everything in bios was unlocked (fd, me etc), and could do everything I want.
    Now in my Asus b660 everything is locked (except main bios region). I dont mind so much but I want to unlock bios so I can flash a new splash screen (I have done it with my old motherboard).

I made a bios dump with FPT (fptw64 -d mod.rom -bios), I modded it and I tried to flash back
    (fptw64 -f mod.rom -bios). I got Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS.

After reading this guide, I found bios lock in setup 0x1D and i disabled it.
    Also found FPRR but was already disabled. Tried again, still same error.
    I suspect that BIOS Guard is the problem but I can’t find it.
    I also read this similar guide 2 but that was easier finding BIOS Guard.
    I run out of ideas. I include my bios dump.

I would greatly appreciate your help or either point me into the right direction.
    Look forward to your feedback or reply’s.

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greg.chalk; 10-02-2022, 10:57 PM.

Re: Asus strix b660-i itx, bios unlock, FPT Error 167: Protected Range Registers

Originally posted by greg.chalk View Post
    Hello,
    I updated my pc, from Evga z270 itx to Asus b660-i itx motherboard. In my old z270 motherboard everything whas easy because everything in bios was unlocked (fd, me etc), and could do everything I want.
    Now in my Asus b660 everything is locked (except main bios region). I dont mind so much but I want to unlock bios so I can flash a new splash screen (I have done it with my old motherboard).

I made a bios dump with FPT (fptw64 -d mod.rom -bios), I modded it and I tried to flash back
    (fptw64 -f mod.rom -bios). I got Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS.

After reading this guide, I found bios lock in setup 0x1D and i disabled it.
    Also found FPRR but was already disabled. Tried again, still same error.
    I suspect that BIOS Guard is the problem but I can't find it.
    I also read this similar guide 2 but that was easier finding BIOS Guard.
    I run out of ideas. I include my bios dump.

I would greatly appreciate your help or either point me into the right direction.
    Look forward to your feedback or reply's.

Thank you for your time.
    bios extracted from Asus website update...
    try this but first don't forget to make a copy of the original bios..
    Attached Files
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Re: Asus strix b660-i itx, bios unlock, FPT Error 167: Protected Range Registers

Thank you for your fast response.
      I am not at the pc right now, I will flash it when I will go home.

I don't have access to the whole bios (it's locked from Fd descriptor).
      I only have access to the bios region ( and even then, bios has separate locks).
      Also my motherboard doesn't have bios flashback, so I can only flash through FPT program.
      Last edited by greg.chalk; 10-03-2022, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peste View Post
        bios extracted from Asus website update...
        try this but first don't forget to make a copy of the original bios..
        Ok I tested it, same error.
        Its the stock bios without aptio capsule, extracted with uefitool

Comment

I think I have to change some vars so I can flash with FPT, but I don't know which one to change. I have already disabled bios lock but that's not enough obviously.
          Maybe there are locks in other places other than setup?
          Maybe @SMDFlea can help.

Comment

I think I have to change some vars so I can flash with FPT, but I don't know which one to change. I have already disabled bios lock but that's not enough obviously.
            Maybe there are locks in other places other than setup?
            Maybe @SMDFlea can help.
            You can flash the bios from a USB flash drive, read chapter chapter 3.4 in the user manual "ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3"

If that doesn`t work try the pinmod method to unlock the flash descriptor,if you can find a datasheet or pinout for the audio IC. https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...ervicing/32449

If none of that works you should buy a bios programmer, you can use a clip if the chip is SOP8 or if its WSON you can get a WSON pogo pin adapter.Have a look for programming header pins as well,they might not be shown in the user manual but could be on the board.
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-04-2022, 07:35 AM.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thank you for your response

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
              You can flash the bios from a USB flash drive, read chapter chapter 3.4 in the user manual "ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3"
              I tried, but I think this works if bios get corrupted. You cannot force it (except if you corrupt bios on purpose, not a good idea I think).

If that doesn`t work try the pinmod method to unlock the flash descriptor,if you can find a datasheet or pinout for the audio IC. https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...ervicing/32449
              This guide (and others in that forum) is my bible. I tried it but the pins are so small that is almost impossible shorting the pins.

Also my audio chip is a Realtek alc1220p (not 1220 or 1220VB) and I cant find datasheet. In datasheet of alc1220VB though, SDATA_OUT is in 14pin, but my chip has only 12pin in each side! (i tested with 1-5 position)

If none of that works you should buy a bios programmer, you can use a clip if the chip is SOP8 or if its WSON you can get a WSON pogo pin adapter.
              I have the usual ch341a programmer(black pcb) with pomona soic-clip, and I have use it in laptops with medium succes.
              I also tried in this motherboard but it doesn't recognize the chip, it needs to be desoldered. Its a brand new motherboard and I am sceptical about desoldering the chip. The chip is a w25q80dvsig (SOIC-8 208mil).

Have a look for programming header pins as well,they might not be shown in the user manual but could be on the board.
              I will do that.

One observation:
              When I was playing and testing with AMI bios guard firmware update tool, I got this error:

So my assumption was wrong. Bios Guard is not the reason I get the Error 167 in FPT (i think )
              Attached Files

Comment

The chip is a w25q80dvsig (SOIC-8 208mil).
                That isn`t the bios chip,its only 1MB (8Mbit)
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

That isn`t the bios chip,its only 1MB (8Mbit)

ok, the motherboard layout in manual shows next to wifi slot!

After further inspection, this is it? (GigaDevice 25B128ESIG)

Is this com debug any usefull?

Also this is VSCC table:

and the whole motherboard:
                  Attached Files

Comment

partial success! (I am almost there!)

After much appreciated SMDFleas observation, the correct bios chip is GigaDevice 25B128ESIG (motherboard layout in manual is wrorg!)

So I used the ch341a programmer, I made a whole bios dump, I modded it, and I flashed back to motherboard. Succes! All regions in bios are unlocked!

but...
                    I still get same error in FPT.

Because its not practical every time I want to update bios, to disassembly pc and motherboard, use programmer, and then assembly again,
                    my final goal is to download every new bios, modd it, and then flash it using FPT.
                    I appreciate every help

Also, because now I know that I can recover bios with programmer, I can be more aggressive when I experiment with bios.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by greg.chalk; 10-05-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Because its not practical every time I want to update bios, to disassembly pc and motherboard, use programmer, and then assembly again,
                      my final goal is to download every new bios, modd it, and then flash it using FPT.
                      I appreciate every help

Also, because now I know that I can recover bios with programmer, I can be more aggressive when I experiment with bios.
                      Modify the flash descriptor using a hex editor for full read write access then you flash away to your hearts content using FPT . You can check the flash descriptor setting using UEFITool,before and after modding .

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...ervicing/32449
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-06-2022, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Modify the flash descriptor using a hex editor for full read write access then you flash away to your hearts content using FPT . You can check the flash descriptor setting using UEFITool,before and after modding .

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/gu...ervicing/32449
                        Thank you for your help!
                        I have done that! Descriptor is already unlocked!
                        I get this error with descriptor (and all other regions) unlocked!
                        I am not home right now. I can provide more photos if needed.

When I go home, I will make a full dump (not just bios region) with FPT, and I will open it with uefitool so you can see that all regions are unlocked.
                        Last edited by greg.chalk; 10-06-2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your help!
                          I have done that! Descriptor is already unlocked!
                          I get this error with descriptor (and all other regions) unlocked!
                          I am not home right now. I can provide more photos if needed.
                          Is it still Error 167 .I don`t know why it would still do that.

Comment

Is it still Error 167 .I don`t know why it would still do that.
                            I will upload fresh full bios(all regions) dump from FPT:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Did you backup this chip? I thought that this BIOS chip and clear it.

Comment

Working...
                              X