Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RT809F Chip Write Failure - Winbond 25R256JV

Hi,

I've managed to take an image dump in BIN format of my Dell Latitude 5420, which had a Winbond 25R256JV chip installed.

I used an RT809F programmer to obtain the BIN, using the supplied iFix RT809F programmer application (latest version being 20220830).

The programmer automatically found the settings to read the chip but selected the Winbond W25Q256FV instead (my actual model isn't available on the listing within the software). The image came out fine - I did this multiple times to clarify the data being read was the same each time.

The problem is that I'm not able to write the image back. The write process starts, it then states 'write successful' but then upon chip verification it states 'chip verification error, start position 0x1046E', 'Verification Failure', 'Write error, operation terminated'.

I've been told that the W25Q256FVsettings can be used as a substitute for my actual chip model (I've noticed the W25Q256FV has a slow clockspeed compare to my actual 25R256JV chip).

Has anyone come across something similar?
    Any help would be great.

Cheers

Re: RT809F Chip Write Failure - Winbond 25R256JV

Originally posted by CapThatBrass View Post
    Hi,
    I used an RT809F programmer to obtain the BIN, using the supplied iFix RT809F programmer application (latest version being 20220830).

The programmer automatically found the settings to read the chip but selected the Winbond W25Q256FV instead (my actual model isn't available on the listing within the software).
    Choose XM25QH256B@WSON8 6X5 ,don`t use auto detect
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks for the info SMDFlea.

I selected the XM25QH256B WSON8 6x5 setting, still getting the error though with the same logs being made - basically failing upon chip verification.

Comment

Thanks for the info SMDFlea.

I selected the XM25QH256B WSON8 6x5 setting, still getting the error though with the same logs being made - basically failing upon chip verification.
        disable verify as well,see what happens.
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks SMDFlea. This might sound a bit dumb, but where would the option to disable verification be? I've tried unticking the 'Auto verification af' and 'Auto verification after' within the 'software config' menu with RT809F Serial ISP Programmer software but this makes no difference (it still auto verifies at the very end).

Out of curiousity, I downloaded a BIN from another thread on the forum related to unlocking of a latitude 5420. After flashing with this BIN, the laptop booted but goes into a continuous cycle of a fast fan spin, LED flashes 3amber 6white, the screen turns on (no Dell logo though) and then it reboots and does the same thing. Randomly it will show multiple coloured screens, as though its testing the RGB screen capability but no functioning laptop.

Any pointers would be great please. Thanks

Comment

Thanks SMDFlea. This might sound a bit dumb, but where would the option to disable verification be? I've tried unticking the 'Auto verification af' and 'Auto verification after' within the 'software config' menu with RT809F Serial ISP Programmer software but this makes no difference (it still auto verifies at the very end).
            I don`t have an RT809F so i can`t help you any further with the settings.

Comment

Out of curiousity, I downloaded a BIN from another thread on the forum related to unlocking of a latitude 5420. After flashing with this BIN, the laptop booted but goes into a continuous cycle of a fast fan spin, LED flashes 3amber 6white, the screen turns on (no Dell logo though) and then it reboots and does the same thing. Randomly it will show multiple coloured screens, as though its testing the RGB screen capability but no functioning laptop.
              Any pointers would be great please. Thanks
              If the bios you tried didn`t have clean ME firmware then that could be why, or the bios chip could be duff,that could explain the verification .

Comment

I've been using a Pogo burn probe to flash the chip - could this be the issue? Thanks

The RTC/CMOS battery has been disconnected as well as the battery whilst performing flashes.

Comment

Working...
                X