Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading resistor value by color band

Hello,

attached is a picture with two resistors. I wonder what values are based on color of the band.
    I have used this as a reference:
    https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...tor/res_2.html

Since there are 5 bands, the question is from where to start counting (what is the first band).
    Based on this info, I can conclude that thick band is the last one.
    Therefore the values are:
    Left resistor - red(2) yellow(4) black(0) black (x1) brown (1% tol) = 240 ohm, 1% tolerance
    Right resistor - brown(1) black(0) black(0) gold(x0.1) purple (0.1%) = 10 ohm, 0.1% tolerance

Is that right?
    Attached Files

Re: Reading resistor value by color band

I found this to check resistor color codes...Being a newbie, it sure helps me.
    Hope it is of help to you.

https://resistorcolorcodecalc.com/

Comment

Another thing I wish for these javascript resistance calculators: they should give a warning when the resistor is not a standard value for the tolerance given...would be a very good hint that the color bands were possibly read wrong.

Comment

It looks like brown,black, black, gold. 10 ohms, but can use an ohms meter .

Comment

Those are standard values. The left resistor if it is read the other way would be 1MΩ 2%.

Hints: The first band is never black, gold or silver;
          Gold and silver only the last 2 bands.

Comment

Originally posted by jssamp View Post
            Those are standard values. The left resistor if it is read the other way would be 1MΩ 2%.

Hints: The first band is never black, gold or silver;
            Gold and silver only the last 2 bands.
            The first band CAN be Black, as in this resistor 0.47Ω 1% Often used in power supplies.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 03-24-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              The first band CAN be Black, as in this resistor 0.47Ω 1% Often used in power supplies.
              I've never run across one of those. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Comment

Any idea what brand that resistor is... that resistor is not following convention and still does not depict 0.470, which is more precise than 0.47 . Yes, it does allow lower resistor ratings for 1% but that's really cheating.

Sort of annoying when I saw brown-black-black-red = 10K... which is what it should be, though it kind of annoyed me as brown-black-orange was the 5% / 10% indication of 10K.
                Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-26-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X