Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think my fridge might be causing small power spikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Think my fridge might be causing small power spikes?

Yep, that spark will inject the spike into the power line and it also generate an RF Radiate noise that travel through the AIR that can be easily be picked up by high impedance input circuits such as audio pre-amp input section of the amplifier.
    Like I said, you need to check and see if there is any snubber network on the relay/switch for the controlling the compressor. Also best to reduce the noise at the noise source.
    I doubt that cheaply made fridge will have any EMI filter in it. We had just spent $6000 for EMI test for one little product that has switching power supply and 16MHz Xtal for the processor.
    Radiate noise will be harder to control due to wide bandwidth of the noise.
    Last edited by budm; 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I think it is broadcasting RF because music on the pathetic little Dell speakers sounds more distorted when the fridge is running.

This morning....I woke up and found my computer off, which I don't think is good....I leave it on 24/7, I unplugged it and now I'm scared to plug it back in when I get home!!!

Comment

Son of a bitch....My computer will only turn on for about 3 seconds and shut down

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          Son of a bitch....My computer will only turn on for about 3 seconds and shut down
          PSU?

Shorted mobo?

Open it up, and see what it looks like inside!
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The mobo flashes red and makes a loud tick before it shuts off, do you think it is a coincidence or not with the fridge?

Comment

The mobo flashes red and makes a loud tick before it shuts off, do you think it is a coincidence or not with the fridge?
              Hm, It is hard to say, but I think the fridge did not cause it.

Where is the tick coming from? and arc? or an on-board speaker (like, the liiiiiittle black ones)?
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

An honest answer must first identify the defect. Nobody can say what is defective without specific numbers. To have the defect identified and problem solved in the next post means buying or borrowing a multimeter. Typically $5 or $18 in any layman's store including Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart. More expensive ones in Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes and Sears.

One minute of labor; taking numbers from six wires (and not disconnecting anything) means a definitive answer. To both identify a defect and to answer your refrigerator question.

The other alternative is to just start replacing good parts until something works. Also called shotgunning.

Almost no defects provide a visual indication. Observing without a cheap and simple tool (multimeter) is typically fruitless. But your choice. Get numbers to have all questions answers. Shotgun. Or hope to 'see' a failure.

Some background. A power controller decides when the PSU powers on and off. A controller powered on the computer. Three seconds later, powered the PSU off. Why? What is it seeing? Or is that controller defective? Your symptoms are classic of decisions made by that controller. Numbers would say more.

Comment

The tick is coming from the power supply...But the fan continues to run after it turns off (it's always done that) I could start testing it but I don't have any replacement parts for any of it to test with good components. I'll upload a short little video
                  Last edited by Pentium4; 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

My fridge was causing power spikes. Tried MOV's across power which helped with the voltage spike but the EMI was still a problem for stereos and telephone.
                    I added 0.033uF 1kV cap across the fridge's thermostat and that cured it.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      My fridge was causing power spikes. Tried MOV's across power which helped with the voltage spike but the EMI was still a problem for stereos and telephone.
                      Good job!

Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                        Which confirms what was posted previously.
                        Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                        You guys keep thinking this is an issue with surges, but it isn't.
                        The sparks - when the compressor relay closes and opens its' contacts - make RF interference which travels through the AC wires in your house.
                        Originally posted by westom View Post
                        Refrigerator is creating noise. Some also eliminate that noise by modifying the refrigerator (ie an RC snubber on its power switch).

Comment

Working...
                        X