Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is instant glue safe for use in electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is instant glue safe for use in electronics?

I have many tubes of these cheap chineese Super Glue instant glues. Found them quite practical, but one question for safety - it is not conductive now, but may it become after few thousand houts of heat application?

Just glued some pieces of copper which broke away from PCB on primary transistors and since these generate lot of heat together with high voltage there…
    Last edited by Behemot; 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Is instant glue safe for use in electronics?

They aren't going to all have the same formulation and since even a trace of something can change the conductive properties it's impossible to say what will happen.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I've been using it for years. Never had a problem. It's only a hindrance when you have to solder in that area... the fumes are very very nasty.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah I noticed when something got into my eye
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I've been using superglue for years too. Never had any probs regarding electrical conductivity, just ensure the glue is fully dry/set before applying power. Most recently I doused the choke windings on a PSU to suppress the buzzing, worked flawlessly.
          Last edited by dumpystig; 08-22-2011, 10:17 PM.
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Well I turned it on, started MemTest and went for womething…when I got back I smellt something was burning there. Display black so I turned it off. Than I measured output, seemed fine, powered it up again with no problem…I than realized I turned the display off before I left the room lol

Probably some fumes of the burned PCB itself (used microblazer for a part of it, next time I will use high-power soldering pen only) were released from the glue when it heated up, it's running fine now…
            Last edited by Behemot; 08-23-2011, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Happy daze
              System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Yeah, it's all good when the fire goes out quickly.
                Just teasin'....
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

When reattaching a heatsink on the main LSI of a set-top box or PVR, I used PVA glue (after removing all the old glue on the LSI and heatsink), which works surprisingly well.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                    When reattaching a heatsink on the main LSI of a set-top box or PVR, I used PVA glue (after removing all the old glue on the LSI and heatsink), which works surprisingly well.
                    What's the melting temperature of white/yellow glue? I've been using silicone rubber RTV. At least it's rated for the highest chip temperature and sticks better than thermal tape.

Comment

It still smells like something is burning in there lol.

I'll probably try my comuter (arround 300 W raw power - assuming from 390 W full load with original Enermax Liberty), if the PSU will survive this, I guess it's fine lol.

And, oh, I am talking bout the LC-Power I posted in Power supply built quality discussion.

Comment

LC isn't Huntkey. It's Deer, now known as Solytech.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I am pretty sure LC is NOT LC-Power. LC always was making only supplies of low power, up to 550 W max. But I have seen LC-Power PSU's of up to 950 W, maybe more. They also were not so cheap so I guess this high-power models can be somehow decent. Another small things like I never seen LC painted, LC-Power PSU's are usually black etc.

It would be best to continue in the right thread I linked, but according to the PCB I am pretty much sure it IS HuntKey. Have a look in there.
                          Last edited by Behemot; 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

you cant stick a heatsink with cyanocrylate or pva,
                            it's not thermally conductive.
                            use zinc-loaded--epoxy or some other thermal glue.

and cyanocrylate softens and then slowly turns to a gel as the temp increases.
                            it then vaporizes - but i see you noticed that!

Comment

One thing missing is flammability - most adhesives burn and can make a board more of a fire hazard, if a part burns up. I'll use silicone RTV in power supplies, for the temperature and voltage rating. Cyanoacrylate I don't think you can get a gob or thick enough layer of it to light up. Hot glue is easy to gob and burns nice.

Comment

keep in mind if susperglue melts the objects seperate.
                                if you glued a small heatsink to something, it will fall off onto the other parts!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  keep in mind if susperglue melts the objects seperate.
                                  if you glued a small heatsink to something, it will fall off onto the other parts!
                                  That's what I am most afraid of.
                                  I have several motherboards that could benefit from some heatsinks on some of their MOSFETs... but I don't know what to glue down the heatsinks with. AS thermal adhesive is $15 for 7g - too much for fixing up an old motherboard that's probably not worth even that much.

Wood glue seems like it will crack with the heat-cycles, thus causing the same problem you mentioned. I haven't tried it, though. (But I am pretty sure that is what's going to happen.)

Hot glue melts at too low of a temperature and becomes quite gooey even at under 100C.

Bathroom silicone releases acetic acid IIRC, so that's likely a no-go on heatsinks and electronics, I think.

Guerrilla Glue? Anyone try that before?

Comment

^
                                    Roof and gutter silicone is completely non-acidic, since it's meant to go on steel, and it doesn't crack or melt when it gets hot. I don't know how well it conducts heat, though.

That said, though, a tube of AS adhesive lasts me for ages. It's more like maybe $1 worth of it per chipset.
                                    Last edited by c_hegge; 05-16-2014, 11:49 PM.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

well silicone comes in acid,alkali and neutral versions.

but what have you go in mind?
                                      most of the heatsinks you see on mobo fet are for looks.
                                      the resin package is a thermal insulator - your heatsink would need to go onto the tab.
                                      and obviously you cant go and short all the tabs together.

if you look where the fets are soldered, you will see a shitload of copper via's to the back of the board,
                                      and these go into big tracks.

this is a form of heatsink embedding - you could fix your heatsinks onto the copper behind the via's if your case will let you.

Comment

Cyanoacrylate glue can be used in mil-spec products to repair lifted pads and traces on PC boards. Rubber-based potting compounds (for high voltage insulation) have "sand" added if heat conduction is important.
                                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X