Best ESR meter/What to look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ESR meter/What to look for

I am looking to buy an ESR meter that will mainly be used for testing caps on monitors and their power supply boards. I would be doing this as a hobby. What would be a good ESR meter to purchase, and what specifications should I look for on one. Cost is an issue. Cheaper = better for now.

Re: Best ESR meter/What to look for

How about reading most messages in this forum section, and return to this thread with more specific questions later on?

Comment

This is really cheap. Why is that?

Comment

i got a fluke 175 and i think that its good for beginning and later when you advance
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
          i got a fluke 175 and i think that its good for beginning and later when you advance
          Thank you. However, that one is way out of my budget. So far I am looking at an ESR Micro w/out a case, or the one linked above that I am suspicious about.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
            That is a good general purpose multimeter for voltage, current, resistance, etc., but it will not measure capacitor ESR (equivalent series resistance).

Comment

Originally posted by Misterkeeks View Post
              i have one similar to this also cheapo chinese meter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321203527074...84.m1439.l2649 thats mine

doesn't measure esr if it is low, thus most caps can't be measured for esr.

Capacitance and inductance is OK

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
                i have one similar to this also cheapo chinese meter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321203527074...84.m1439.l2649 thats mine

doesn't measure esr if it is low, thus most caps can't be measured for esr.

Capacitance and inductance is OK
                So if the ESR is low, it can't be measured. However, in a situation where the ESR is high, would an accurate ESR value be displayed, so I could at least find which capacitors are obviously bad?

Comment

i am not sure. I have tested some of caps, iirc the lowest i have seen was 0,1ohm

haven't used it much though. And i do not have a shitload of experience when it comes to ESR.

Comment

"Low" ESR is a relative term of which I have yet to find a "standard" definition...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinhead View Post
                      "Low" ESR is a relative term of which I have yet to find a "standard" definition...
                      One very compact in size definition requires from the listener to be in a relatively high educational level, so to be capable to use the information.

In simple English... how old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                        One very compact in size definition requires from the listener to be in a relatively high educational level, so to be capable to use the information.

I think it's pretty clear what Pinhead meant.

Comment

I'm 30. Graduated with a BS in Electronics Engineering Technology at DeVRY University almost a decade ago. Unfortunately I haven't had a job in the electronics industry since then so I'm a little rusty.

I think it's pretty clear what Pinhead meant.
                          Thank you for being able to read statements within context.

For the more dense and less fluent in the English language: I meant it seems a bit ridiculous that with the sensitivity of equipment being designed and manufactured, and with seemingly minute changes in components having the possibility of making a huge difference in the operational stability of various circuits, that a term like "Low ESR" is so often used and yet never defined. Of course I know what ESR is. But, High ESR and Low ESR are pretty ambiguous terms.

It has been mentioned that many manufacturers define the terms so differently, that one MFG's high ESR cap can be another MFG's low ESR cap.

I somewhat assumed (incorrectly?) that a web forum which specializes in capacitor replacement -- aptly named Badcaps, no less -- would have a more solid definition hashed out if for no other reason than to facilitate effective communication across the forum.
                          Last edited by Pinhead; 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

These discussions have been a part of this forum from the onset.

Trying to get > 60 different cap manufacturers to agree on what is "Low ESR" is nigh impossible. There is no industry wide standard. Mix all of it together and throw in some marketing and you'll have a better chance of getting a bill through Congress.

Low ESR -generally- means one that is to be used in SMPS and motherboard filtering. It is a term used to differentiate them from the "general purpose" caps.

There is no hard/firm definition and it is based upon the final purposing of the cap. A low ESR cap for motherboards is typically in the 5 mOhm (0.005Ω) or less category. In SMPS, it would be in the 60 mOhm (0.060Ω) or less.

That being said, I use the Blue ESR meter, built from the kit.

There is another one that some here use, but I don't know the name. Rather small and seemed of good construction. There was also one from a Russian fellow (IIRC) that some said was decent. A perusal of the forums for ESR meter suggestions will show all of them

T

Found the other 2: Atlas ESR70 and ESR Micro by RusMike

Check this too. He does a lot of equipment reviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ49GCnf0V4

Last edited by Toasty; 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

When you design the circuit, the ESR become part of the design requirement.
                              See post 8 for example:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...999#post300999

Too low or too high can be problem also.
                              Last edited by budm; 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

a) I'm 30. Graduated with a BS in Electronics Engineering Technology at DeVRY University almost a decade ago. Unfortunately I haven't had a job in the electronics industry since then so I'm a little rusty.

b)Thank you for being able to read statements within context.

c) But, High ESR and Low ESR are pretty ambiguous terms.
                                a) Good to know, I always like to give well targeted answers but not to kids.

b) I will never compete with you in poetry, no offense is taken all good in my camp.

c) Chemistry and new manufacturing techniques born the "Low ESR cap" which other than it practical value in pulsing power supply, the practical problem is their proper identification and test regarding failure.

Practically as long their internal resistance is very low, in order to measure it you need one proper instrument with the proper resolution in digits.
                                Anything with a resolution of four digits is good enough ( 0.000 ) but this luxury it is offered by true LCR meters which come from respectable manufacturers, and they are capable to be tested regarding calibration.
                                When measuring such low Ohm values the accuracy of the meter is extremely important.

Low resolution meters is gadgets of the past, therefore are very cheap to build.
                                Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I have a "Peak" esr meter and find it good to use. I have a cheaper one - but not as cheap as the one you are looking at MK - and I can compare the two.

Comment

Originally posted by phildan View Post
                                    I have a "Peak" esr meter and find it good to use. I have a cheaper one - but not as cheap as the one you are looking at MK - and I can compare the two.
                                    In the planet Test & Measurement the under test device it should evaluated by a ten times better one, if the subject is an accuracy test.

Those words are coming from the experts, I am just an electrician who follows the river flow and expand my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by phildan View Post
                                      If you could, that would be great!

In the planet Test & Measurement the under test device it should evaluated by a ten times better one, if the subject is an accuracy test.

Those words are coming from the experts, I am just an electrician who follows the river flow and expand my knowledge.
                                      While that may be true, I am just interested in why it is cheaper relative to the slightly more expensive models. Precision is not really my chief concern, and I only need enough precision to determine whether a cap is good/bad. Should the two meters give similar readings, I would purchase the cheaper option. Otherwise, I would opt for a more expensive/better meter.

Comment

While that may be true, I am just interested in why it is cheaper relative to the slightly more expensive models. Precision is not really my chief concern, and I only need enough precision to determine whether a cap is good/bad. Should the two meters give similar readings, I would purchase the cheaper option. Otherwise, I would opt for a more expensive/better meter.
                                        The capacitors manufacturer does not use an 100$ meter so to offer to us a comparison point due their datasheets.

You may wish to paint your home white just with milk, but if you are up to making repairs you will follow the needed technical principals, or you just toying around, and in this case your opinion it can not taken seriously.
                                        Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X