Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SATA power connector: which moron invented it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SATA power connector: which moron invented it?

I agree that the molexes are better for some stuff, like testing with a dmm or giving power to something that is not supposed to be powered by an atx psu. I even managed to get an xbox 360 falcon (175W) to run off of one molex! But sata has its perks too. Like slimness. If desktop HDDs used only molex, then you wouldn't be able to connect 2.5" (laptop) drives to a desktop pc without an adapter. I'm fine with sata as long as my psu still has a few molexes.
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

I don't think anyone is suggesting that SATA use molex connectors, just that SATA connections are not designed well at all.

Comment

For SATA the drive activity LED is ported out on the power interface instead of data, unlike PATA. Getting the drive activity light info is kind of useful for me, I wish I had a source of the SATA power connectors that had that wire connected out.

I still hate SATA connectors because I can't just put in my own connector there, they tend to be molded and thus you can't add your own pins....grr...

Comment

After all, they could've just used plain old Berg connectors. Being so ancient, it still is smaller, more robust and could carry twice as power per connector as SATA.

For SATA the drive activity LED is ported out on the power interface instead of data, unlike PATA. Getting the drive activity light info is kind of useful for me, I wish I had a source of the SATA power connectors that had that wire connected out.
          That sounds like nonsense to me. Power goes directly to power supply, there is no way to get anything from that. You need to go the controller way.
          Last edited by Behemot; 12-04-2014, 10:19 AM.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Sounds like nonsense but it's the truth! Nothing is stranger than the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              That sounds like nonsense to me. Power goes directly to power supply, there is no way to get anything from that. You need to go the controller way.
              Specs:

See page 259 and onwards (click picture to zoom).

Attached Files

Comment

But that's only relevant for backplanes, that means servers mostly, not that you connect a wire to pin 11 and go, you will read nothing as long as it is grounded. If you wanted to use that, you would have to place a board between the drive and power connector, and interrupt that pin 11 ground.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I like Sata, so much better than IDE.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Regardless, yes this is for a hotswap backplane and can be applied to general purpose usage.

Here's someone with a minimalistic wiring for the power connector to have an activity light - and virtually it's the same for my 4-bay SATA hotswap backplane.

http://www.tooms.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=280

I have one last singleton hotswap bay that does not port out the activity LED. I really wish this one did so I could see when this bay is actually being used or not.

Comment

OK than it makes sense :-) But definitelly use some small transistor as suggested, even the spec says it has very low current and is not to drive LED directly.

Comment

Guys I just received those female power connectors, solder-on-cable type. I'll take photos and list them later today.

From my last observation I am sttill the only seller on the planet you can buy those from. Anybody wants some let me know!

Comment

well both the sata and molex connectors have their pros, cons and shortcomings. the only constructive solution would be for one of us here to invent one universal connector to rule them all (lotr reference intended), then patent it and then retire early on all the royalty fees. mmhmmm~

Comment

Basic price is 6.99 CZK a piece. Thats about US 28c according to current exchange rate.

Comment

You have good prcie.
                              28 cents is really good price compared to this guy in the US:
                              http://www.moddiy.com/products/SATA-...FYdbfgod80UPZw

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-...393632453.html

How do you crimp the wires?
                              Last edited by budm; 11-05-2015, 05:30 PM.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Dafuk, last time I checked two months ago and nobody else got it! Well, still the only one in Europe

Comment

How do you cap them?

Would you mind posting a picture of how you solder it as well?
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Have not been informed about any cover, you just leave it…or insulate the solder side by a strip of heatshrink.

First you press it using long-nose pliers and than solder preferably with microsolder pen. You've seen it already.

Comment

Thanks.

I see those two little poles coming out the top, so I thought there has to be some sort of cover for it.

edit: To be more specific, I'm thinking of how to mount that thing in a little plastic project box so that it should look nice from the outside. Any ideas?
                                      Last edited by mockingbird; 11-05-2015, 06:49 PM.
                                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

You get PCB solder version. I think they just took it - thats what those poles are for (they fit into holes in PCB) - and put different pins inside.

These connectors are no way ideal, but they are the only one there are at the moment. And to want something custom, I'd need to order a milion or so.

Comment

Well I increased the price a few cents (to 9.9 CZK incl. VAT, so you substract 21 %). Several ppl told me they are too cheap

Comment

Working...
                                          X