Fluke 179 won't tun on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fluke 179 won't tun on

I have attached your picture of the top side of board with a red x on the run I question.

retiredcaps The Fluke number is 17x 3011 rev.36

I believe it is rev 36 as it is hard to tell if the 3 is a 3.

Also, it has a number KALEX3
    K688
    I believe it was made 2002. This is on the side of the board. It was inspected by #20
    Attached Files

Comment

From your last pics it looks as if there is a break and/or short on the bottom side of the 14 pin ic. Might just be graphics artifacts due to picture compression though. The board also seems discolored around there?

Comment

I have checked and there is no brake or short at the 14 pin IC. Thanks though.
        What I have noticed, is that the transistor on the left/up, by the digital Texas Instrument IC is getting 6V at the collector pin(which was pointed out earlier that it may be corroded-but it turns out, that is just fine), but nothing comes out of it.
        I'm attaching a picture with my findings. If I measure that transistor(if it is one, I'm not sure), seems fine. I have measured 2x0.7V one way and nothing the other way.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tibimakai; 08-17-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Just want to verify that you have ohmed out directly on the transistor pin where you show 6 volts to the preceding part? To make sure the run is not open just prior to the transistor? If we new the transistor type and number we could then determine if it is bad. Whether it is indeed a transistor or a cmos. We need to be able to tell if the transistor is bad or good. And if the processor out pin65 is actually telling this transistor/cmos to turn on. It could be a transistor and pin 65 could be connecting to its base pin or it would be a cmos and 65 could be connecting to the gate. This is where we need to find out what the number of the part is so we can look it up. Pin 65 is controlling the turn on of that part. Once we distinguish the above we will then know if we need to understand why the processor is not turning this pin on. There has to be a memory chip with instructions. This would be where a scope and better yet a logic analyzer would help.

Comment

To me, it seems like it is still connected. I measured right at the plastic.
            Here is a picture taken with my phone, I can't really tell what is it, 1R?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
              i open my 175 just for you

how can i help?!?!?!?

my battery its 5.7v . i know its low !

i did some probing. if you need something else tell me just don`t ask me for parts value cuz i open it and can`t read them

sry should have written in white
              Last edited by dj_ricoh; 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM.
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Do you have any voltage on pin 65? Also, if you have a o'scope does pin 65 fluctuate when it is turned on that is goes from a low to high and then back to low?
                "retired caps" do you have a schematic of this board?

Perhaps Retired Caps has experience with Fluke Multimeters and knows something we do not. I believe he asked you to check the oscillator to see if it is working. Do you have a way to do this? I have circled what I believe is the oscillator in red and the whole oscillator circuit in purple. You would measure this at the pin on the processor chip.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                  Do you have any voltage on pin 65? Also, if you have a o'scope does pin 65 fluctuate when it is turned on that is goes from a low to high and then back to low?
                  "retired caps" do you have a schematic of this board?

Perhaps Retired Caps has experience with Fluke Multimeters and knows something we do not. I believe he asked you to check the oscillator to see if it is working. Do you have a way to do this? I have circled what I believe is the oscillator in red and the whole oscillator circuit in purple. You would measure this at the pin on the processor chip.
                  i don`t have diagram
                  under the resistor i think its pin 65 the empty pad its -2.5V OFF and it goes around 1.8v when its ON ofc same wave on scope .
                  for some reason its dropping the voltage when its ON
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by dj_ricoh; 08-18-2015, 12:28 PM.
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                    i don`t have diagram
                    under the resistor i think its pin 65 the empty pad its -2.5V OFF and it goes around 1.8v when its ON ofc same wave on scope .

That was a question for tibimakai.
                    The 179 and 175 are connected different in this area. So I would not think the voltages would be the same. tibimakai has a transistor connected to pin 65 and you do not. The instructions to the processor most likely are also different.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                      i don`t have diagram
                      Seeing how you have a scope would you verify that the + side of what I think is the oscillator has a frequency when it is turned on and if it does can you tell me what is the frequency?

Comment

Thank you guys, for all the effort. I appreciate it a lot.
                        Today, I don't have time to check these voltages, but tomorrow I will look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                          I want you to measure between the two blue arrow to see if you still get 6 volts at the same 6 volt measurement. Then if you have a variable power supply. You could build it out of a nine volt battery and a rheostat. I want you to take out the resistor I have circled in blue. Measure the resistor you just took out. Find a resistor of the same value with-in 5% and connect it up to your variable DC power supply on the positive side. The other side of your variable supply, the negative, you want to connect to the negative side of the battery of the meter. Now take a insulated wire 28 gauge or bigger and solder it from the output between the resistor you have connect to this variable power supply and the input of the transistor where the other resistor had connected to the transistor. Make sure the rheostat is set to its maximum value. Which means maximum resistance so as little current will flow, you could put a switch in line so you can turn off the power to the circuit. The rheostat resistance plus the resistor in series should lower the current/voltage value enough so it will not harm the transistor. The maximum rheostat value should be 1.5 times the resistor value. So if the resistor is measured at 100 ohms the rheostat needs to be 150 ohms. After all this is done you can turn the meter to on position. The leds should still be off. With another meter you want to monitor the voltage from the ground to the transistor where you have connected the resistor. Slowly turn the rheostat, but do not let the voltage your monitoring go above 6 volts. If the transistor/cmos is good it should turn the leds on before you reach 6 volts.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have been thinking about this circuit we are looking at. This circuit appears to only measure if the possessor is up and running instead of if there is a voltage and if that voltage is correct. So you do not need to check that transistor out. So with that being said what we know is that if the processor is not turning on this Transistor/Cmos and you are measuring 6 volt at the transistor we have a problem. The problem is that there is some conduction going through this power up circuit. This then presents another problem. Did the designer mean for this to happen? I would say no because if the circuit in not up and running I do not want to drain the battery, however if I am in stand-by mode to conserve the battery I do not want to turn the circuit off completely so I can turn it on quicker with less inrush current. I would say your circuit is indicating that the meter is in stand-by mode. Have you verified that the 9 volt battery is actually 9 volts DC? If the battery is indeed 9 volts we need to understand why it is not coming out of stand-by mode. Stand-by mode would be used to measure if the instrument is being used or not. The designer would measure this from the input of the meter. He can do this in several ways. I would do it by using a comparator off of the input measurement . This comparator then would be monitored by the processor. If I did not read a high level then I would go into a count down sequence. After a certain time I would then put the circuits in stand-by. Also, once I measure a high I would then reset the count down clock. So what we can do is find out if the part number on the remaining chips actually have a data sheet or if fluke has prevented this from happening.

Comment

did anybody check the vcc and the crystal on the microcontroller?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                did anybody check the vcc and the crystal on the microcontroller?
                                stj here is another problem. If he is measuring this circuit without the selector switch in the circuit, all circuits should be off. I would think one would have to jumper the contacts of the selector to turn on the meter. If the meter is off then why did they not put in the selector switch "contacts" to switch the power from the battery so the battery is not being used when the meter is off? For all we know is everything is working correctly and we have a bad display.

First we have to know which pins those are. The Vcc pin. The crystal on the processor I believe I know where that is, but it may have a internal circuit for the oscillator or there maybe external components that set up the frequency. I do not know the processor number so I can not tell the pin outs. Even if one knows the number Fluke could of had this processor made just for them and they control the information on the chip. One really needs to have a schematic to troubleshoot a circuit and the data sheets of the chips. With processors one also need to know the program. Then one needs a logic analyzer to see where the program fails. Yes the basic things like Vcc and the oscillation could be checked. First one has to know if the selector contacts need to be jumpered to get the meter out of a stand by mode. Then one could connect a scope up to the display to see if the display is being turned on or one could see if the LEDs are turning on. That would indicate the processor is up and running.
                                Last edited by keeney123; 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

so scope the display pads - but i'v never seen an lcd just die - bad segments maybe but never nothing.

the msp430 microcontroller is ultra-low current.
                                  you dont really need to turn them off.

Comment

tibimakai after you fixed the open run to the 9 volt battery did you put the unit back together to see if it would work or where you just expecting to see the led lights to light. If you did not at least put in the selector switch you may of never turn the unit on and perhaps the designer also monitor the LCD display to see if it turned on. If you did not put the unit back together I would do this as you may have already fixed the problem without knowing it.

stj it depends on how the lcd display dies. If a short inside the display the computer would shut it down before one would realize it was on. Also, if the power lines inside the display have somehow opened the display would not turn on. If one measures the input to the display and the designer did not shut down the power because of no return pulse train from the display with a bad display, one could measure and see that the processor is trying to turn on the display.

Comment

I have tried, but it did not turn on.
                                      Texas Instrument M430F437

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                        stj it depends on how the lcd display dies. If a short inside the display the computer would shut it down before one would realize it was on. Also, if the power lines inside the display have somehow opened the display would not turn on. If one measures the input to the display and the designer did not shut down the power because of no return pulse train from the display with a bad display, one could measure and see that the processor is trying to turn on the display.
                                        it's not a digital display, it's bare glass with nothing to short.
                                        just a load of liquid crystal between oxide electrodes that probably have a reasonable resistance anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          it's not a digital display, it's bare glass with nothing to short.
                                          just a load of liquid crystal between oxide electrodes that probably have a reasonable resistance anyway.
                                          So how do they turn on and off the segments of the liquid crystal display to show numbers? Do they not have a matrix coming out of the processor or in the display chip to enable the rows and columns of the display to turn on and off so they can change the digits of the display?
                                          Last edited by keeney123; 08-19-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X