CRT TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRT TVs

For whatever reason I've always had a fascination with CRTs. I think they're much more interesting than LCD units. Maybe because I can't believe how long they've been around, and I just think the way it displays a picture is ingenious. Electron guns being aimed by a coil and painted onto a phosphor mask using only 3 colors?! COOL!

I've always loved the clear colors, and the non existent response time of the display. Electricity is cheap here, so I don't really care about the extra cost. I'd like other members here to throw in their opinion on CRT displays, and if anyone else here is still using them. How come they are so reliable? They run hotter than LCDs yet tend to last so much longer. Is this because so much research has gone into them over the century that they have been around? Or is it the fact that planned obsolescence coincides with the "boom" of LCD production?

I'm down in California helping my grandparents move, and they offered me two of their old CRT TVs. I think they are both really awesome but can only take one due to space. One is a 25" Zenith made in October, 2000. The other is a really neat 21" unit from Emerson Radio manufactured in January, 1987. Both work perfectly! Despite the Zenith having a 4" bigger display, it is only 1/2" deeper than the Emerson and is only rated to use 5W more. I plan to use either one of them up at my place.

I really like the customizable knobs on the Emerson, but it only has Antenna in, and it's very old. Still pretty awesome to see the thing still working though!

The Zenith was probably made by LG, since Zenith closed the last of their USA factories in 1998. The only capacitors I could actually see in there were Chemi-Con SMG with 2000 date codes. When I shine a flashlight through the side, I can see "MADE IN USA" on the tube itself, with UL31254, which doesn't turn up anything. I've heard about Zenith tubes going bad (ones made after 1993) is this something I should be very worried about? I'll be honest, I'm terrified of working on a CRT display!

There are some pictures attached, the last one is a zoomed up picture of the lines where you can see the red, green, and blue firing. Very neat!
    Attached Files

Re: CRT TVs

My honest opinion (ask and you shall receive) is that CRTs are a waste of time. I do agree that low quality/early LCDs can not compete with high quality CRTs. But any decent LCD is a better option than a CRT. It's less harmful for your eyes, uses less space, uses less power, is safer to work on, is easier to lift and move, and usually has better inputs (VGA is crap at higher resolutions).

Oh, and many CRTs make a terrible whining noise that drives me crazy.

It has been many, many years since I have used a CRT for more than a few seconds to test that it works.

In my situation I'd throw them in the truck and e-waste recycle them at work. Actually, no, scrap that, I would never accept them in the first place. But if I was helping somebody move, fine, throw them in the truck, park it by the road, put the tailgate down, display the TVs with a big "FREE WORKS", and wake up the next morning hoping the TVs are gone but the tailgate isn't
    Last edited by shovenose; 08-12-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

The awful whine! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I won't touch a Can't Read This display with a 10 foot pole nowadays. I can't stand how bulky and heavy they are, and electricity here is extremely expensive.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

how can any engineer not like something that has an anode cap with a BIG red wire on it!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            My honest opinion (ask and you shall receive) is that CRTs are a waste of time. I do agree that low quality/early LCDs can not compete with high quality CRTs. But any decent LCD is a better option than a CRT. It's less harmful for your eyes, uses less space, uses less power, is safer to work on, is easier to lift and move, and usually has better inputs (VGA is crap at higher resolutions).
            Haha, you make good points. To each their own though, the same things could be said about your old chevy truck (regardless of how cool that thing is!)
            Originally posted by goontron View Post
            The awful whine! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!
            It aint so bad, and it'll get better once your loud dubstep damages your ears some more
            just playin
            Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            I won't touch a Can't Read This display with a 10 foot pole nowadays. I can't stand how bulky and heavy they are, and electricity here is extremely expensive.
            Eh, I never had such issues with reading on CRT computer displays. But I've always been more drawn to CRT TVs rather than computer CRTs. Moving them is a good workout though!
            Originally posted by stj View Post
            how can any engineer not like something that has an anode cap with a BIG red wire on it!
            This

Comment

I personally dont like crt, especially repairing them when they fail alot that can harm you inside but they are reliable tvs. I personally prefer plasma I would take a non hd plasma over a full hd lcd haha. You are right though about the colours and response time however they are just too bulky and whine and nothing much any better about them.
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

they shouldnt whine if the scancoils are properly made.
                the only low frequency coil not potted is the scancoil assembly.

Comment

CRT? :puke:

Comment

I am lucky I still have CRT sets in UK excerlent picture still sorry for you guy's in USA NTSC sets (never the same colour twice) the pal system is far better than any plasma crap or LCD orLED TV. Any poor sole that has a plasma set has never seen a good picture.

Comment

That is one piece of truth... PAL/PAL Plus is better than NTSC. But I still don't miss the old heavy CRT.

Comment

industrial crt monitor's are best.
                        RGB directly into the gun amps.

Comment

I just love CRT TVs and Computer screens. I have a small collection of them in the attic :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                            Haha, you make good points. To each their own though, the same things could be said about your old chevy truck (regardless of how cool that thing is!)
                            Yeah, but I can't drive a CRT to work

Comment

I agree that a CRT is an engineering marvel but I too think it has lived out most of its life. Digital displays are improved as time goes on. I love my gigantic rear-projection 3-CRT TV. This is something I would never have gone out and bought though, even when it was new. However it was thrown out with the trash and I salvaged it and repaired it just for the fun of it at very little cost to me ($24 in parts as I recall) and I love it now.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a freebie LCD or Plasma TV that is economically repairable. It'll happen someday I'm sure.

Comment

vector displays are the real marvel!
                                specially colour ones.

Comment

Vector displays are a type of CRT. It's not as well suited to home entertainment purposes as raster display are. Its not capable of drawing as complex shading needed in movie/video/TV production.

Comment

no, but it makes very fast transitions for gaming.
                                    like TEMPEST !!

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                      I personally dont like crt, especially repairing them when they fail alot that can harm you inside but they are reliable tvs. I personally prefer plasma I would take a non hd plasma over a full hd lcd haha. You are right though about the colours and response time however they are just too bulky and whine and nothing much any better about them.
                                      What kind of sets have you repaired? Yes, plasma do have a very nice picture. But with plasma don't you lose the electricity usage argument? From what I've seen, they use more electricity than a CRT. They don't last as long either.
                                      Originally posted by popeye View Post
                                      I am lucky I still have CRT sets in UK excerlent picture still sorry for you guy's in USA NTSC sets (never the same colour twice) the pal system is far better than any plasma crap or LCD orLED TV. Any poor sole that has a plasma set has never seen a good picture.
                                      Yes, you are lucky! What kind of set do you have, one of those beautiful widescreen CRTs? Also, is 230V more kind to tubes compared to 120V?
                                      Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      industrial crt monitor's are best.
                                      RGB directly into the gun amps.
                                      Very nice. What kind of high grade units have you had the pleasure to view/work on?
                                      Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      I just love CRT TVs and Computer screens. I have a small collection of them in the attic :-)
                                      Nice! You should share some pictures if you have them, or at least list some model numbers of the units that you have.
                                      Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                                      I agree that a CRT is an engineering marvel but I too think it has lived out most of its life. Digital displays are improved as time goes on. I love my gigantic rear-projection 3-CRT TV. This is something I would never have gone out and bought though, even when it was new. However it was thrown out with the trash and I salvaged it and repaired it just for the fun of it at very little cost to me ($24 in parts as I recall) and I love it now.
                                      What is the model number of it? Man, I would love to get my hands on, say, one of those Panasonic Tao CT-36SL13 units with 16:9, 1080i and hook up some good media to it to see how good it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                        Very nice. What kind of high grade units have you had the pleasure to view/work on?
                                        Hantarex, ElectroHome, WG(Wells Gardner)
                                        + lots of others that while having a nice picture, i wouldnt call the build quality "high grade"

Comment

Working...
                                        X