Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CRT TVs

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    What is the model number of it? Man, I would love to get my hands on, say, one of those Panasonic Tao CT-36SL13 units with 16:9, 1080i and hook up some good media to it to see how good it looks.
    It is a Toshiba TP48D51, not as high rez as what you're after, but works great for watching movies, TV, and game consoles. My family loves it.

Comment

I bought this refurbished Toshiba 32JW9UA about 7 years ago and still works fine. Although it's difficult to show in a photograph, it shows a picture that amazes me every time I turn it on.
      Although I always run it in SD mode, I can clearly notice when the source is HD.
      The screen flickers too much in HD mode.
      Attached Files

Comment

I only have one CRT monitor, but it's one of the few good CRT computer monitors I've seen. Most of the CRT monitors made after 1997 that I've seen had a blurry picture, along with some other issues. Only one whined, but it was obviously broken. My monitor buzzes, which is something I've never seen before.

I still remember the Compaq V55. That was the only CRT monitor that could actually be called Can't Read This. They all had a blurry picture from the factory, and changing the computer's video card affected how blurry the picture was. At best, it was barely usable.

Comment

CRT TVs are given away free on a daily basis on my local kijiji. Everything from expensive Sony 36 inch WEGAs (200 pounds?) to other brand names like Panasonic, JVC, Sharp, etc.

Most people just want them out of their house to make way for the new thin TV and reclaim some space in their homes.

RPTV (rear projection) are also commonly found for free. Everything up to 60 inches and most in working condition.

People, however, have totally unreasonable expectations in selling their thin LCD/LED TVs. Broken LCDs are advertised for $150 to $200. Asking prices for working LCD/LED TVs are more expensive than what you can buy on sale.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I blame ebay. "For parts or repair" "$600". Then the parts people wanting $50 for a knob.
            sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Showing my CRT Love ! Its hilarious that even today they are the superior display.

Comment

just remember this, most crt's will last 30years+ excluding a few caps failing.
                how many lcd's will it take to last that long!

Comment

Can't seem to get the zenith to do what i want. It didn't come with a remote. I'm trying to use the antenna, but I can't get to it using the buttons on the tv. Channel up or down cycles it to "CH 60" or "AUX" not sure why it won't change the actual channel. Tried 8 different remotes in the house and none of them do anything. Aux works through composite but that's not what I want to use

Comment

You'll need the remote to reprogram the channels. If you search for the model number on ebay and add remote to it you should be able to find one. I had to get a new remote for a vcr last year and it came up for about $30. The originals around here somewhere but I quit trying to find it after a while.
                    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

CRT TVs are given away free on a daily basis on my local kijiji. Everything from expensive Sony 36 inch WEGAs (200 pounds?) to other brand names like Panasonic, JVC, Sharp, etc.
                      I'm one of these people now! I ended up getting rid of the Zenith. I tried 8 of the remotes in the house and none of them worked, and I really didn't feel like finding one online and waiting for it to arrive. I ended up looking for free stuff locally and snagged a Sony Trinitron Wega, 27" 16:9. I'll upload some pictures later. It's a beautiful TV. It's got better inputs, and much much better speakers. I expect this one to be a lot better overall since it's newer, and it's a Sony.

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                      I bought this refurbished Toshiba 32JW9UA about 7 years ago and still works fine. Although it's difficult to show in a photograph, it shows a picture that amazes me every time I turn it on.
                      Although I always run it in SD mode, I can clearly notice when the source is HD.
                      The screen flickers too much in HD mode.
                      Looks good to me. Do you just use it to watch cable?

Originally posted by lti View Post
                      I only have one CRT monitor, but it's one of the few good CRT computer monitors I've seen.
                      What kind is it?
                      Originally posted by JollyGreenJoint View Post
                      Showing my CRT Love ! Its hilarious that even today they are the superior display.
                      Imagine if they had kept improving them! Too bad that SED development stopped as well.
                      Originally posted by stj View Post
                      just remember this, most crt's will last 30years+ excluding a few caps failing.
                      how many lcd's will it take to last that long!
                      What caps usually fail in them? Even good brands? Yeah I'd say you're lucky if you can get 10 years of solid use out of an LCD set.
                      Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
                      I had to get a new remote for a vcr last year and it came up for about $30. The originals around here somewhere but I quit trying to find it after a while.
                      $30, wow! That's steep. A lot more than the VCR is worth.

Comment

What caps usually fail in them? Even good brands? Yeah I'd say you're lucky if you can get 10 years of solid use out of an LCD set..
                        cap failure is not by brand,
                        it's by voltage.
                        you can get something 25 years old, any 160v+ caps will be dry - the rest usually o.k.

Comment

What caps usually fail in them? Even good brands? Yeah I'd say you're lucky if you can get 10 years of solid use out of an LCD set...
                          My old Samsung SyncMaster 19" LCD was 10 years old before I re-capped and sold it a couple of weeks ago (only due to replacing it with another monitor with inbuilt speakers). The original caps were CapXons, but surprisingly, they were all still perfectly fine.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Looks good to me. Do you just use it to watch cable?
                            I used to watch Austar satellite pay TV on it, now I just watch FTA Digital TV via a STB.
                            Sort of amusing to see that EMPR have parts for it. Something like $250AUD for a main board and $1200AUD for a CRT. as much as I still enjoy the TV, unlikely that I would spend anything like that on it.
                            Last edited by rievax_60; 08-16-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              cap failure is not by brand,
                              it's by voltage.
                              you can get something 25 years old, any 160v+ caps will be dry - the rest usually o.k.
                              Ah, why is it that the high voltage caps dry out? Usually it's just the small ones. Is it because they get larger spikes when turning on?
                              Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              My old Samsung SyncMaster 19" LCD was 10 years old before I re-capped and sold it a couple of weeks ago (only due to replacing it with another monitor with inbuilt speakers). The original caps were CapXons, but surprisingly, they were all still perfectly fine.
                              Wow, that's almost unheard of. Must have been in a cool room or not used much?

Here are some pictures of the Trinitron. It looks surprisingly clear with S-Video, but I have an RGB cable coming in the mail, which I'm guessing will look better than S-Video, mainly because S-Video is limited to 1024x768
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ah, why is it that the high voltage caps dry out? Usually it's just the small ones. Is it because they get larger spikes when turning on?
                                on crt monitors the high voltage caps have signals on them - they arent smoothers.
                                they are used on the gun circuits for example.

so it's probably just the higher voltage causing more internal stress and heating.

Comment

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/

Comment

This 15 years old Panasonic Quintrix 32" not only refuses to die, but stubbornly insists in working perfectly OK.

The dinosaur is so Jurassic that it lacks VGA (not to mention HDMI) headers, so I had to connect the HTPC at left thru a Logilink VG0003 PC to TV converter.

I should have replaced it long ago, but out of mere lazyness (the thing weighs as much as a frigging Tiger tank , you need two strong guys, and preferably three, to carry it) it keeps soldiering on.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                      This 15 years old Panasonic Quintrix 32" not only refuses to die, but stubbornly insists in working perfectly OK.

The dinosaur is so Jurassic that it lacks VGA (not to mention HDMI) headers, so I had to connect the HTPC at left thru a Logilink VG0003 PC to TV converter.

I should have replaced it long ago, but out of mere lazyness (the thing weighs as much as a frigging Tiger tank , you need two strong guys, and preferably three, to carry it) it keeps soldiering on.
                                      Fair play also noticed your technics hifi looks like a decent little set up
                                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I need dis!

Comment

In my opinion, CRTs are awesome for video and gaming as long as you crank the refresh rate up.

LCDs are better for office\internet or such though.
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X