• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about PicKit 3.

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a PicKit 3 programmer, like the one located here:

http://www.microchip.com/Development...paign=PICkit+3

I've modified a circuit that has a pre-progammed PIC (16F628A) and added an ICSP 6-pin header. I noticed though, that the kit only comes with the PicKit 3 and a USB cable. Does anyone know where I can get the 6-pin cable at? Also, I've seen talk about an RJ-11 connector. Is that just for debugging in-circuit or am I supposed to be using RJ-11 connectors instead of ICSP 6-pin male headers? If so, that'd really suck.

Finally, I see talk of some special header for in-circuit debugging. It appears to be a circuit board. But there's a few different "header" packages. How useful is in-circuit debugging and do I really need to purchase one of these special "headers"?

Here's a link to a PDF that talks about the various headers. https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...9062dabff9.pdf

This is all new to me so I apologize if some of my questions sound a bit naive. Thank you.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Questions about PicKit 3.

got a pk3 here.
    the pk3 uses a socket-strip 2.54mm pitch 6pin

i make cables using pinstrips.

btw, the design is open and the chinese have nice clones.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141774464184

this one comes with cables and a programming board!
    (my next upgrade )

Comment

btw, make sure you use MPLAB-X and not the old mplab software.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        got a pk3 here.
        the pk3 uses a socket-strip 2.54mm pitch 6pin

i make cables using pinstrips.

btw, the design is open and the chinese have nice clones.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/141774464184

this one comes with cables and a programming board!
        (my next upgrade )
        Thanks Stj! I've seen some of the clones but I think because this is my first time playing around with programmable ICs, I'm going to stick with an official PicKit3, just to rule out possible problems.

So the official PicKit3 doesn't come with the cable and I need to make one myself or find a good site that sells them? For the pins on the board, I used MA06-1 from the con-lstb library in Eagle. I don't know what the pitch is though.

Comment

btw, make sure you use MPLAB-X and not the old mplab software.
          Okay, and MPLAB-X comes as a free download or do I have to pay that? I seen a few different MPLABs and weren't sure what was what. Haven't really looked into it too much but one was MPLAB REAL ICE I think, another one was X and then finally MPLAB ICD 2 and MPLAB ICD 3.

Comment

I was thinking for the cable, maybe something like this:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-of-Dupo...YAAOSwm8VUr37w

What do you think Stj?

Comment

the pin pitch is the same as stripboard or a chip, .1"

it's intentional so you can put a pin-header on the board and just drop the programmer onto it without a cable!
              (providing you leave clearance around the pin header for the programmer casing)

mplab-x is free.
              http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler...family/mplabx/

and the chinese clones dont have issues because microchip made the original schematics and board layout public!

the ebay link will work, but it's a lot of money when you can just get a strip of 30pins that you snap to size for next to nothing.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/281784762715

Comment

the pin pitch is the same as stripboard or a chip, .1"

it's intentional so you can put a pin-header on the board and just drop the programmer onto it without a cable!
                (providing you leave clearance around the pin header for the programmer casing)

mplab-x is free.
                http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler...family/mplabx/

and the chinese clones dont have issues because microchip made the original schematics and board layout public!

the ebay link will work, but it's a lot of money when you can just get a strip of 30pins that you snap to size for next to nothing.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/281784762715
                Thanks! On this design, there's no way to fit the PicKit on the board. I should've thought of that before but when I was looking at PicKit's on ebay, I didn't realize they where clones and I thought all of them came with a cable. I might try to just make a cable myself if I can find a cheap enough female header / socket that goes into the PicKit. I really appreciate all the help.

If you're certain the chinese ones are of high quality, I could save some cash and buy one that comes with the cable and one of those nifty ZIF sockets.

Comment

it's male - with pins that goes into the pk3

i would 100% go for that chinese one with the chip-socket adapter.

Comment

pic
                    Attached Files

Comment

pic
                      Thanks! No idea why I said female. I need female end for the board, the male end for the PicKit3. I'm going to order the one you linked to me. It's not in the states so it might take a little bit to get here, but it seems to come with everything.

On a side note,

The original design has a PIC 16F628A and a 16x2 HD44780 LCD screen. The PIC is using 4 data lines, not 8. That'd mean it's communicating with the LCD screen using 4-bits, right? Also, if I wanted to upgrade the screen to something a bit more fancier, maybe at the very minimum a 16x4 type screen, if I picked out a similar LCD screen, would I have to change the circuit at all or just the code on the PIC? Eventually, I'd like to add a real nice screen. Maybe even touch screen or something like what my Weller WX2 has.

Comment

Tried to order it Stj, but got an error message :'( Contacted the seller about it. Error message was:

This seller didn't include shipping costs to your location. Please contact the seller or change your address.

Also, I see the US dollar isn't as strong as GBP. 1.00$ = 0.64 GBP's. That's okay though. I think GBP's are British Pounds but the item says it's shipping from Shenzhen , Guangdong, China. I thought the Chinese used yen's.

Comment

try these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391241142618
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/351488697372

if those dont work,
                          go to ebay.com
                          then search "pickit3" and sort by price-inc-postage
                          Last edited by stj; 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                            The original design has a PIC 16F628A and a 16x2 HD44780 LCD screen. The PIC is using 4 data lines, not 8. That'd mean it's communicating with the LCD screen using 4-bits, right? Also, if I wanted to upgrade the screen to something a bit more fancier, maybe at the very minimum a 16x4 type screen, if I picked out a similar LCD screen, would I have to change the circuit at all or just the code on the PIC? Eventually, I'd like to add a real nice screen. Maybe even touch screen or something like what my Weller WX2 has.
                            if you want a nice display, forget parallel character displays.
                            use a pic with an SPI serial interface,
                            then you can use a colour graphic display.
                            the chinese sell surplus graphic displays - presumably intended for fones & mp3 lpayers for less than character displays.

if you do use a 44780 display, the interface is the same regardless of number of lines or characters.

btw, it's standard to put pins on the board, and use a female end on the programming cable.

Comment

if you want a nice display, forget parallel character displays.
                              use a pic with an SPI serial interface,
                              then you can use a colour graphic display.
                              the chinese sell surplus graphic displays - presumably intended for fones & mp3 lpayers for less than character displays.

if you do use a 44780 display, the interface is the same regardless of number of lines or characters.

btw, it's standard to put pins on the board, and use a female end on the programming cable.
                              Okay, good to know I'm following a bit of standard with the pins there.

So, the PIC I'm using doesn't have an SPI serial interface? I'd like to do what you're suggesting. Stop using the parallel character display and use a colour graphic display.

Do you know any PICs that have an SPI serial interface? I see MicroChip says a bunch of their devices support it. How hard would it be to implement something like this? Is it a lot more work than what I currently have? Thanks.

Comment

Looks like maybe the PIC18F8722 would work.

Comment

u.s. ebay link
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/141752941245

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                                    Okay, good to know I'm following a bit of standard with the pins there.

So, the PIC I'm using doesn't have an SPI serial interface? I'd like to do what you're suggesting. Stop using the parallel character display and use a colour graphic display.

Do you know any PICs that have an SPI serial interface? I see MicroChip says a bunch of their devices support it. How hard would it be to implement something like this? Is it a lot more work than what I currently have? Thanks.
                                    microchip has a parametric search you can use,
                                    what else does the chip need? how muh flash, ram, i/o pins?

Comment

Thanks. Made an offer for one located in the states that doesn't come with a ZIF adapter (I'll buy one separately if the guy accepts my offer). If not, I'll try ordering that one. The other two you posted won't ship to the USA either. Kinda sucks ordering from China and Hong Kong because it takes for ever!!! for the stuff to get here.

Comment

takes 1-2weeks to europe.

Comment

Working...
                                        X