Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are LED light bulbs supposed to get hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are LED light bulbs supposed to get hot?

a couple of meters on your next panel would be nice.

in black:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331671223021
    or white:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331749372027

Comment

'So, it's possible for the DC measuring parts of the multimeter circuit to be calibrated but the AC parts to be out of calibration? ' A big YES.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        a couple of meters on your next panel would be nice.

in black:
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331671223021
        or white:
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331749372027
        Are you suggesting I install those permanently to my new panel when I install it? That'd be cool! Digital readouts!

I have an analog multimeter around here somewheres. I haven't made friends with the neighbors yet. I'm going to find it and try measuring the voltage with that. The chances of them both being off I think are very slim. Although both might need calibration, if they do, I should get different readings from each meter. Not the same. Just gotta find what box it's in.

I've been running coax, cat6 and cat6 6P6C in the baby's room down to the basement. It's a bit of work and is taking longer than I expected. I only got the RG6 quad shielded stuff ran last night. But I think the rest should go easier.
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          All you have to do with 120 V outlets, for testing, is to check outlets for different voltages. Are you able to find an outlet that has a much lower voltage when a heavy appliance is going?

For example, on one outlet, you got a reading of 131 V and 111 V on another outlet.
          I'm trying to think what was running when I was getting the 127VAC from each outlet. Now, they're all reading 122VAC.

We don't have too many heavy appliances that run off electric. The dryer is gas but it still needs juice. The washing machine is obviously electric. The microwave wasn't running....the dehumidifier was, the TV, the PC. Hrmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
            Are you suggesting I install those permanently to my new panel when I install it? That'd be cool! Digital readouts!
            that was my thinking.
            you can also get ones that fit on a bus-bar with the breakers.

Comment

I'm trying to think what was running when I was getting the 127VAC from each outlet. Now, they're all reading 122VAC.

We don't have too many heavy appliances that run off electric. The dryer is gas but it still needs juice. The washing machine is obviously electric. The microwave wasn't running....the dehumidifier was, the TV, the PC. Hrmm.
              Also, note the power company's voltage can fluctuate.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                Also, note the power company's voltage can fluctuate.
                What? Really?? At our old place, always a steady 120V unless there was a brown out. Maybe in the city it's different though. Before, we lived out in the country.

Comment

What? Really?? At our old place, always a steady 120V unless there was a brown out. Maybe in the city it's different though. Before, we lived out in the country.
                  In Florida I have seen the 120 V go as high as 150 volts. In Mississippi I have seen the results of the 120 volts going as low as 98 volts. I think it had to do with the load on the line and how many generators were on at a certain time. This was a while ago, but I do not think the electrical grid has been updated much since then.
                  Last edited by keeney123; 10-05-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                    In Florida I have seen the 120 V go as high as 150 volts. In Mississippi I have seen the results of the 120 volts going as low as 98 volts. I think it had to do with the load on the line and how many generators were on at a certain time. This was a while ago, but I do not think the electrical grid has been updated much since then.
                    I saw a documentary about the electrical grid and how it was long overdue for an upgrade. How when it was normally installed, it wasn't designed to last as long as it has lasted. Our electric in the states is better than other countries, but it definitely has problems. I just didn't realize we had issues like that in this area.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I still have to test my meter though and I'll try doing that today. I've been busy doing other things. I ran one of the quad shielded RG6 coax cables from the baby's room to the basement. I want to run CAT 6 and CAT 3 6P6C, then I want to run it all again, but on the opposite side of the room. The opposite side of the room shouldn't be too hard, because I don't have to run it through the attic.

Our new stove came yesterday and I didn't get much work done. I hooked up the stove and had to wait for Corning Natural Gas to come and check and make sure there where no leaks and then remove their clamp. I was the only one home most of the day and unfortunately, I can't hear the doorbell upstairs, or in the attic, or in the basement. I just had to wait and they didn't come to later in the day. My wife's due date was two days ago but the baby hasn't come yet. We gotta go to the baby doctor today and they're going to talk about inducing her. We're leaving at 11:00 for that. We're definitely getting close though! Soon, I'll be a dad!!!!

Comment

I saw a documentary about the electrical grid and how it was long overdue for an upgrade. How when it was normally installed, it wasn't designed to last as long as it has lasted. Our electric in the states is better than other countries, but it definitely has problems. I just didn't realize we had issues like that in this area.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I still have to test my meter though and I'll try doing that today. I've been busy doing other things. I ran one of the quad shielded RG6 coax cables from the baby's room to the basement. I want to run CAT 6 and CAT 3 6P6C, then I want to run it all again, but on the opposite side of the room. The opposite side of the room shouldn't be too hard, because I don't have to run it through the attic.

Our new stove came yesterday and I didn't get much work done. I hooked up the stove and had to wait for Corning Natural Gas to come and check and make sure there where no leaks and then remove their clamp. I was the only one home most of the day and unfortunately, I can't hear the doorbell upstairs, or in the attic, or in the basement. I just had to wait and they didn't come to later in the day. My wife's due date was two days ago but the baby hasn't come yet. We gotta go to the baby doctor today and they're going to talk about inducing her. We're leaving at 11:00 for that. We're definitely getting close though! Soon, I'll be a dad!!!!

I am glad to see that life is treating you well.

Comment

I think its the power supply that generates some heat . I think led bulbs create a very small amount of heat . Too hot to touch , some thing is not making good contact .

Comment

Working...
                        X