Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions for 3 digit 7-segment display counter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: suggestions for 3 digit 7-segment display counter.

You can find all the editions on torrent sites, scanned.

The 3rd edition is good, but the 2nd edition is also important, as some chapters that are in the 2nd edition are no longer in 3rd edition (or are more brief compared to 2nd edition).

So it's worth downloading or buying the 2nd edition as well.

You could have checked Amazon.com and other book specialized sites, often the book is with some discounts but not much (since it's lots of paper and heavy)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      that's it - it was a long time ago so i dont know the edition.
      That's the first edition, I do believe. The third edition definitely has some digital electronics in it. It might not be the book that contains everything, but I doubt a book like that exists.

This 3rd edition should provide me with a good foundation I think. Then I can purchase books that are a bit more specific to what I want to learn. That RF Circuit book I talked about earlier sounds promising. I want to get into wireless communications. Maybe a book on bluetooth or wireless networking, eventually. Baby steps I guess, right?

I also have a book solely based on digital electronics, from college. It's a bit dated now, but I'm sure there's stuff I could learn from that. A lot doesn't make sense. There was some prereqs for the class but our advisors signed us up without having us take the prereq. The whole class had never worked with circuit boards before. Because of this, we couldn't follow the teacher. One day, early in the semester, half the students met her outside and explained we had no idea what she was talking about. She was really cool and started over, but went real slow, and explained stuff that we should have known before the first day. I think that's why we never got into anything real in depth.

After I get the 3rd edition of the Art of Electronics and after I finish Practical Electronics for Inventors, I might start reading that Digital Electronics book. Then I'll read that e-book on the STM32 PIC.

Thanks!
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        You can find all the editions on torrent sites, scanned.

The 3rd edition is good, but the 2nd edition is also important, as some chapters that are in the 2nd edition are no longer in 3rd edition (or are more brief compared to 2nd edition).

So it's worth downloading or buying the 2nd edition as well.

You could have checked Amazon.com and other book specialized sites, often the book is with some discounts but not much (since it's lots of paper and heavy)
        Thank you for that information Mariushm. I wanted a physical copy for this kinda stuff, but for the 2nd edition, I know it's wrong, but I might just grab a scanned digital copy of it.

We checked all the authorized sellers websites that were listed on the books website. The Book Depository was the cheapest (half off the MSRP). Amazon had it cheaper than Barnes and Nobles though. We found it for sale, supposedly knew, for around 33$, but the website warned about counterfeit copies going around, so we decided to buy from a known reliable source.

Have you read all the editions? Is the first edition worth having as well? Too bad the creators don't provide a searchable digital copy. That'd be nice. But I would want it free with the purchase of a hard copy. I wouldn't want to have to pay extra for it...

Comment

there's a lot of good websites now for learning stuff.

like this pair
          http://fpgacenter.com/index.php
          http://www.fpga4fun.com/

Comment

there's a lot of good websites now for learning stuff.

like this pair
            http://fpgacenter.com/index.php
            http://www.fpga4fun.com/
            Thanks Stj. I've found a good bit of information on learning stuff with Google, but right now, with the trouble with my brain, I seem to learn a bit easier with a physical copy. That doesn't mean I still can't use the internet and just print the pages.

I found a good physics site that taught me the basics of electricity and even got into some basic circuits. I wish it went further, but I think it's a work in progress.

Are those Field Programmable Logic Arrays (FPGA's) the ones where when you're writing the code, it has something to do with ladders? I messed around once with a chip like that. Got some sort of programmer to dump the chip and load the code up in some compiler written by the company who developed the chip. You could see the source code. It had ladders and some other stuff.

**EDIT: Never mind. I'm thinking of PLCs with the ladder logic.
            Last edited by Spork Schivago; 05-29-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

ladders???

they have pins - lots of pins.
              each pin can be input or output.
              you tell it what to do either with a regular schematic of and/or etc gates,
              or a language called VHDL that looks a lot like C, or a language called VERILOG that looks more useable.
              (from my standpoint! )

http://www.asic-world.com/verilog/veritut.html
              another worth bookmarking!

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/..._logic_devices
              scroll about 2/3rds down for examples.

Comment

ladders???

they have pins - lots of pins.
                each pin can be input or output.
                you tell it what to do either with a regular schematic of and/or etc gates,
                or a language called VHDL that looks a lot like C, or a language called VERILOG that looks more useable.
                (from my standpoint! )

http://www.asic-world.com/verilog/veritut.html
                another worth bookmarking!

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/..._logic_devices
                scroll about 2/3rds down for examples.
                There's a few ways to program them. I think one is called Structured Text. One is some sort of flow chart. One of the ways is with something called Ladder Logic. The Ladder Logic, from my understanding, is just like a relay, and was designed to help people switch from physical relays to PLCs.

You can google it, I gotta go watch the cat outside. When I come back, I can send some links and post more.

Comment

programable state machines are very obsolete, modern fpga's can even hold the logic of an entire 16bit computer like an amiga - inc the cpu!!

Comment

programable state machines are very obsolete, modern fpga's can even hold the logic of an entire 16bit computer like an amiga - inc the cpu!!
                    Yes, but PLCs are still used in automation a lot, especially at the industrial level, instead of FPGAs.

Here's a quote from Quora:
                    Code:
                    Most of the PLCs give you the option to program in Ladder Logic, Functional Block
                    Diagram (FBD), Sequential Flowcharts (SFC) and Structured Text
                    Here's a link to that Quora question, where a person asks "Why are PLCs and ladder programming still the industry standard? What about micro-controllers or FPGAs?"

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-PLCs-a...llers-or-FPGAs

There are a bunch of answers, but some are really well written. Make sure to look by the responders name, to see what their background is. For example, some have been working in a certain industry programming PLCs for x number of years, some are engineers that work with FPGAs, PLCs, etc.

The BGA rework station I purchased has a PLC. That's when I learned a little bit about PLCs but got sidetracked with other projects along the way and never got back to it. I was trying to create a bit of a flow chart as to how the BGA rework station worked. It's a bit of a hodgepodge and I wanted to fully understand it, including the program on the PLC.

In the Quora link, a person even talks about PID controllers and PLCs.
                    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 05-29-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Speaking of kicad and geda, I really like the built in pdf export of kicad. In geda/gschem I had several steps to do to generate a postable schematic...

Comment

i prefer to export as PNG myself

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                          Yes, but PLCs are still used in automation a lot, especially at the industrial level, instead of FPGAs.
                          Yup. I write code for them on a daily basis.

So why a PLC?

Huge installed base of PLCs out there.
                          Companies are skittish on going with something different.
                          We have all had our brains re-wired to do things the "PLC way".
                          Robust, nearly indestructible, and nearly crash-proof.
                          Maintenance knows PLCs. This cuts down on the night calls.
                          Last, but not least, I/O. An ancient Series Six can handle 32K of real-world I/O.

Where I work, we once had industrial PCs handling test equipment. The PCs were dying so fast that replacing them (and re-loading Windows, drivers, etc) was taking up a serious amount of our time. We went back to PLCs and rarely have a problem. As for PLC up-time, I know of a couple Series Sixes that have been running non-stop for thirty years.

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                          The BGA rework station I purchased has a PLC. That's when I learned a little bit about PLCs but got sidetracked with other projects along the way and never got back to it. I was trying to create a bit of a flow chart as to how the BGA rework station worked. It's a bit of a hodgepodge and I wanted to fully understand it, including the program on the PLC.
                          Did you ever get it figured out? Do you need a hand?

Comment

Working...
                          X