X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Relay Quality

Yesterday i had to replace a relay i installed about 2.5 years ago
    This relay i used in my thermostat to use 5VDC logic to control 27VAC logic
    I had used the cheap relays you can get on ebay for about $0.50 each (Songle SRD-05VDC-SL-C)
    It failed cause the contact plate on the load side became dirty from electrical arcing
    here is a video showing how they are designed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzR7EtPM15E

Would a 2.5 year life span be reasonable for a relay in this type of use? (defective?)
    would one of these two last significantly longer (enough to justify 2 to 2.5 times the price)?
    https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...wh-sh105d1f000
    https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/JS1-5V-F

Re: Mechanical Relay Quality

there should be no arcing, you need to add a snubber circuit across the contacts.

Comment

There's a good video showing what the cheap relays are capable of.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJ17Cp6itw

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        there should be no arcing, you need to add a snubber circuit across the contacts.
        So i need to do this (see attachment)?
        What kind of cap would i need to use here? This is an AC circuit (meter says ~26.995V)
        about how many ohms should i use? (5, 10, 50, 100, 1000, 50k, 1m)
        * my on hand resistors only good for 0.25W, so going below 3k is probably asking it to burn
        AC caps are not polarized right?

In this case Load B would be used when the unit is set to heat and Load A would be used if the unit is set to cool

When i designed this board i used the relay to replace mercury tubes, i think i have seen a small spark when they switch, this is why i assume it was arc damage
        Attached Files
        Last edited by evilkitty; 01-01-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

that circuit is nice.
          caps should be film type,
          analog is not my thing, but the current drawn by the load is usefull to know.

you can get snubbers containing the cap and resistor in a single package but most designers use seperate parts.
          probably for cost reasons.

Comment

I know the current is small, 26awg wires do not get warm
            wonder what my clamp on meter says...
            0.67A up to 1A then back down

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
              This relay i used in my thermostat to use 5VDC logic to control 27VAC logic
              I had used the cheap relays you can get on ebay for about $0.50 each (Songle SRD-05VDC-SL-C)
              It failed cause the contact plate on the load side became dirty from electrical arcing
              Do any of:
              • Add a snubber across the contacts
              • Use Hg-wetted relay
              • Exert more control over when the armature is moved wrt the AC waveform

Comment

On the note of a snubber
                Assuming the power is 1A @ 27VAC (60Hrz i assume)
                what size/wattage resistor and film cap do i need?

The spark i saw when it used the tubes was like you would get from a little static (petting cat and touch it's ear near the fire place)

Comment

This relay i used in my thermostat to use 5VDC logic to control 27VAC
                  What is the amperage of the device that you are controlling
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

have a read.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                      What is the amperage of the device that you are controlling
                      during the switching process my clamp-on meter measured 0.67, with a peak of 1A (slowly climbed and slowly dropped off)
                      *I need to get fuses for my other meter (in my mouser cart)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        have a read.

IL = Amperage, given my meter peaked at 1A , guess that is 1
                        E = ???
                        k= (unknown value from 0.1 to 2)
                        this is the issue i have when i go to look a circuit formula, i have no idea what the variables stand for...
                        Last edited by evilkitty; 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

On the note of a snubber
                          Assuming the power is 1A @ 27VAC (60Hrz i assume)
                          what size/wattage resistor and film cap do i need?

The spark i saw when it used the tubes was like you would get from a little static (petting cat and touch it's ear near the fire place)
                          It's not the amperage or the voltage but, rather, the rate of change of voltage/current that drives the design.

The capacitor (in series with the resistor) ensures there is no DC path through the snubber -- you wouldn't want current flowing AROUND your switch contacts all the time as that would defeat the purpose of the switch! The capacitor ensures that only the "transient" (spark) finds its way through the snubber, being dissipated in the resistor.

With the mercury switches, the mercury acts to "clean" the electrical contact. Hence the use of mercury-wetted relays if you want to avoid the snubber.

Comment

Or you could use this

Crydom S3013A S3 Series Solid State Relay, PCB Mount, 3.5-8 VDC, 3A, 20-140 VAC
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Had my microwave oven's relay go kaput recently, jury rigged a replacement until I can go order one (with other stuff).

It died when a capacitor died... Contact life exceeded/destroyed.

Comment

I just did a snubber design for 24VAC zone-valve controller.
                                The values are not critical, I found 0.1uF-0.22uF 160V and 10R 1/2W worked fine.
                                This is to keep the back EMF from arcing relay contacts or damaging a triac.

The cap ends up being large physical size, I used junkbox X or Y-caps.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                  I just did a snubber design for 24VAC zone-valve controller.
                                  The values are not critical, I found 0.1uF-0.22uF 160V and 10R 1/2W worked fine.
                                  This is to keep the back EMF from arcing relay contacts or damaging a triac.

The cap ends up being large physical size, I used junkbox X or Y-caps.
                                  so these are good then?
                                  https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...s2d031001a00ko
                                  https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...os1-2ct52r100j

Comment

Tesla once said that too much theory and not enough experimenting will get you nowhere.

Comment

I would use a higher voltage capacitor as 63VAC/100VDC is close to the part's limit.

The load R L values and math and what you can fit/have on hand- it's easier to just look at it with a scope. Zone valves have a lot of inductance 200mH. I can post SPICE sims.

With no snubber I got 300-500V spikes, and down to about 100V with a 0.22uF/10R
                                      Last edited by redwire; 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

well then guess i will go with a 200v cap 505-mks2g031001k00ko or 505-mks2g031001k00jo which ever is in stock...

In the interest of science would it be a problem if i used only one resistor with a double throw switch/relay
                                        I know it would only save $0.10 but it is 1 less part to solder, now that the logical reasons are out of the way... i am really just curious about it if you can do that

EDIT:
                                        Would i need a snubber for a relay that controls a incontinent light bulb and a florescent bulb?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by evilkitty; 01-02-2018, 06:45 PM. Reason: 200V not 400V (mixed up AC /DC voltage specs)

Comment

Working...
                                        X