Switch selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch selection

Looking for a replacement momentary switch for a 230v power tool but the only type I can find that not only looks the same but will also fit into the housing is rated 20A @ 12v and 15A @ 24v.
    Will this be fine?

Re: Switch selection

Just realised it may not be a 240v switch, will have to wait until I have the tool to investigate further.

Comment

Most power tool switches are not simple switches, but have regulator inside their housing.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

If it is a battery operated tool that variable speed most of them have small circuit board on the switch housing or it external of the switch

But the switch is not a normal type of switch it has multiple switching contacts that have certain travel points for the different speeds

I have use the speed controllers from battery operated tools ( for other purposes ) before but you need to be careful not to hook up the battery power in the wrong way because it not forgiving at all and you will let out the factory smoke and then it all over

I also seen the ones that are 120 volt ones but they are a different puppy altogether and they are not very easy to repair because of having a hard time getting the parts ( sometimes the motor winding are either shorted or the winding is open depending on how the switch failed )
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-24-2021, 01:20 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

pictures, or it didnt happen!

Comment

This switch is def a standard momentary (normally open) type switch. Its a straight forward off/on state, a pivoted pull handle activates the tool and cuts out when released (safety feature).
            The tool is 230v mains operated but I am yet to investigate the wiring / circuitry arrangement to confirm power at the switch.
            Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
            X