Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U Turns on and works but displays is slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U Turns on and works but displays is slow

The TV is choppy, images and text are not clear, and there are horizontal lines at first until the screen freezes and then starts to display vertical lines. It looks like the screen has a 1 second refresh rate.

After I first pressed the menu button. After a second the menu shows but everything is slow.

After a few minutes the screen froze and it started with the vertical lines. It first started on the right side if that matters.

I can take pics of the back if needed, first set came out grainy.

Service Manual

Thanks

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U Turns on and works but displays is slow

Is the slow response problem throughout the whole screen?
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

flex and or squeeze the frame of the screen, or touch the individual tab bonds.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-08-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

The slowness is throughout the entire screen.

Squeezing//tapping the frame did not change anything on the screen. Do I have to remove the back plate to see the tab bonds on this one?

I tried reworking the BGA chip on the T-Con board and now it is slower than before and there is a small vertical line in the screen on the right side. I have tried reconnecting the flex cables attached to the t-con and nothing changes.

Comment

hmmmm... suspicious. I got this feeling that this is the "beginning" of a tab driver issue.... :-( I think I saw this in my travels although I can't be sure as I wasn't sure of settings that were on the tv during my "investigation".

Comment

It looks like this now

And it takes 5 seconds or more before the menu screen starts to slowly fade in.

Are these the tab drivers?

The screen also is showing this

The screen seems to go from black to green to white and back to black.

Comment

no... those are the interconnection cables between the two side edge boards. There are three tab driver cables on the top edge board and two on the bottom.

BUT your latest pictures are "not looking so good"... :-( :-)
              The side drivers usually affect horizontal issues. There are also ones along the lower edge boards (can't remember how many). You might try reseating the cables at the tcon board (cleaning the cables first with some "spirits").

NOTE: you can help yourself with some "simple" checks. Disconnect one of the tcon cables and see what happens with the picture (of course, with the power off). Then repeat the "test" with the other side of the tcon. IF the picture improves with one side versus the other, you can go from there.
              Last edited by budwich; 11-08-2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Right T-con cable disconnected. left side slowly came up then the rightt.

Left T-con cable disconnected, right side cleaned with iso. Left side operated perfectly and right slowly came up white. The TV was on a cable input

Comment

I think what you're experiencing is a right hand driver tab failure r for the vertical gate drivers. If this is the case this panel is not repairable.

You can always disconnect the right hand side tab drivers by disconnecting the lower ribbon cable connecting to the side tab drivers and see if your picture comes up on the right side and is but it's going to be hard to tell with that site dark

Comment

Disconnected the cable.

Still had some slowness in menus at start but seemed to go away. Going to hook up another PS3 with a bluray and see how it goes.

The vertical line would be a tab bond or driver?

Comment

right side is still a bit slow and everything has a green color to it.

Nothing more to do? Panel/tabs bad?

Comment

Well I definitely think your panels bad.

That vertical line is a dead giveaway that you have some kind of tab driver failure. However since you disconnected the side tab drivers on the right side and the screen apparently got better how does it react on the left side? Is there any lag?
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-08-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

The left side is perfect other than the vertical line.

I was pressing on the tabs and one of them was very hot while all others were not. This is on the right side bottom.
                          Last edited by m4a2t0t; 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I don't see any vertical "lineage" on the last sets of pictures... only one earlier. Perhaps the reseat / cleaning helped with the vertical. It looks like perhaps a side driver might be an issue. See if you can find some test screen videos from some dvd / test disc.... put up a fixed pattern to help with checking things. Then re-do the tests.

Comment

Be very careful with those tab driver cables as they are fragile and not fixable. I think you might have found your issue maybe. Take things slow though as some operations are not reversible and you may be stuck. Freaksftr8 will likely guide you along.

Comment

Okay first of all it's easy to mistake that hot tab bond with the bottom of the panel getting hot. Normally the bottom of the backlight drivers where are the LED strips inside the TV are Normally get very warm. For some reason I noticed on a few of these that I have worked on just the bottom of the LED backlighting is very warm to the touch feeling it from the metal frame on the back side. In order to successfully determine if your tab driver is getting hot is to keep the boards away from the panel and then feel it if its still hot it's definitely shorting out and therefore if that is the only tab that is getting hot and the others are cold to the touch I would definitely say it's causing your problem. Those are not supposed to get hot they stay moderately cool to the touch when operating properly. Honestly if it were my TV I would say that the t-con is OK because we have an operating left side with the right side disconnected and we do not see the inherent problems that we are seeing with all the tab drivers connected. I would honestly go ahead and remove those tabs and the driver boards from the right side of the screen. But that's just me if you feel confident with doing that go for it. Replacing the t-con will most likely put you in the same situation you're in now. This is of course a non reversible operation. And knowing what I know now about Sharp LCD panels I would say that this is a 99% repair success. Of course this only adds time to an inevitable failed panel but I have not seen anything yet on the other side from the operation that we have performed on this forum. Mine is the first one to have that operation performed being a Vizio using the sharp 70 inch lcd panel and it's been running solid for 2 months with no hiccups.

That picture you took of that tab on the very bottom looks awfully dark in the center. Compare that driver IC with the other drivers on those boards. If it is darker in the center than the other ones which should not be dark at all then it is definitely bad. What's happening is that it is dragging down most likely the 1.0v core voltage on the tcon board. This is causing a plethora of different visual problems on the screen including vertical lines and slow refresh. It's obvious that these tabs short in a different manner on various panels that I have seen on this forum now. Some present themselves with a solid stripe across the screen, others present themselves with a rapidly flickering screen, some present themselves as a solid black line going across the screen and then others just completely short that tcon out shutting it down completely. In on sharp tvs it will shut down with a 2-5 blink code if the short gets bad enough and the voltage drops significantly on the tcon board to trigger a fault.

Here is what a good driver ic should look like.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-09-2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

And here is a failed one. Notice how dark it is in the center around the perimeter of the IC?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Is it possible to heat and remove them while the panel is still put together or do I need to remove the top part of the panel?

Comment

You should be able to just pull them right off you do not need to heat anything up. And what do you mean by pulling the top part of the panel off? It looks like you're already to the point where you can remove the right side ribbons. Judging by your picture.

Your metal frame surrounding the side of the panel is the only metal frame you have to remove and it looks like you're already to that point
                                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

i thought you had to heat them up

Ok, will try it now

Comment

Working...
                                        X