Nichicon PC(M) replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nichicon PC(M) replacement

Hello, Iam working on my dads EEC-IV computer from his 94 Lightning Pickup, it has bad nichicon PC(M) 2x47uf 16v and 1 10uf 63v what would be a decent replacement? I noticed Panasonic makes the General purpose NHG series any they are rated to 105c whould those be okay?

also on the bottom left of the board capacitor I see I guess a diode or something, it has no markings and had electrolite under it which i cleaned, did that cap possibly short it out?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BigTroll; 02-21-2021, 11:27 PM.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: Nichicon PC(M) replacement

Heres a picture of the bad cap next to what I think is a diode? I see a black pool under it but is that electrolyte from the cap or the diode?
    Attached Files
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

It could be glue but then you would expect the same under other components so I guess not.
      It looks like the board is conformally coated, maybe the electrolyte somehow dissolved that and created that mess...
      As for the cap choice I don't know because I did not find a datasheet for the Nichicon PC.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Here is a datasheet for Nichicon PC...

If you want to be strict about it, you could use an automotive-grade cap like RX30 or similar.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614021069
        Attached Files
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          Here is a datasheet for Nichicon PC...

If you want to be strict about it, you could use an automotive-grade cap like RX30 or similar.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614021069
          I found these but 50v vs 16v for the original capacitance is the same.
          https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...ysgx62ww%3D%3D

I also found some guy trying the WURTH alluminum polymer caps, would those be a better choice since they wont ever leak again or would you go with the rubycons? Thank you for the help!

Comment

i would try to see what the caps do.
            are they just smoothing dc, or on a dc/dc convertor output? or signal blocking?

Comment

Working...
            X