Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

maybe do a test install of Win 7 x64?? you don't have to enter a product key, it'll let you run for a while without one, that way you could test stability before you buy any more RAM.. I did have 8 1G DIMM's in it, so i know all 8 DIMM slots should be good.

Comment

Just a hint with this board, if all DIMM's are populated, you can not run the RAM at full speed (400MHz), it will crash (BSoD0, fail MEMTEST, and cause all kinds of havoc. Its a bug in the chipset, and no fix. I had to turn the RAM clock down to 266 when I had 16gb in mine, 8x 2GB sticks. Removing 2, and it was fine at full speed.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Just a hint with this board, if all DIMM's are populated, you can not run the RAM at full speed (400MHz), it will crash (BSoD0, fail MEMTEST, and cause all kinds of havoc. Its a bug in the chipset, and no fix. I had to turn the RAM clock down to 266 when I had 16gb in mine, 8x 2GB sticks. Removing 2, and it was fine at full speed.
        There be my issue i bet.

I may bump it to 333 and try agian.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yup, that's a limitation of the Opteron's integrated DDR controller. If you have a board with 8 slots per CPU, it's limited to 266 so even slower.. Although it should auto drop the speed to 333 if all 4 are populated.. If you only have 4 working DIMM's i would put two per CPU, so you get the most speed at least for testing!!
          Last edited by gg1978; 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I owe you big time. Good call. Stepped it down to 266, all is well with all 16gb.

So, I can pick either Faster RAM or more RAM.

Thoughts and ideas?

Edit- tried 333 and 366, no dice. I wonder if that's partially why V3.0 never ran well (I ran all 16GB at 400)... But given the AGP issues on all but Xp x64, It wasn't viable in the long run.
            Last edited by ratdude747; 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Speaking of 7 x64, it seems that I misplaced my copy of 7 ulitmate upgrade for this thing... I bought a 3rd upgrade key from the college bookstore so I didn't have to scuttle V2 (as it's still a complete and running rig), but I may have to buy a 4th as I can't find it even if my life depended on it.

side note- been a bad day for losing shit... lost my debit card and DL today as well. F***ing perfect
              sigpic

Comment

Report your license and card asap

You ever actually tried to bypass Windoze activation?? Or are you really optimistic they're gonna come out with more support for your machine in the future???

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
                  Report your license and card asap

You ever actually tried to bypass Windoze activation?? Or are you really optimistic they're gonna come out with more support for your machine in the future???
                  The former- I'm working on that, I know.

The latter- they're legit upgrade discs, since I have a valid student ID (I am a student at the college) I can get win 7 upgrade discs for $20 a pop. The reason I don't just use another disc and skip activation till I find it is since it's an upgrade, the COA key won't work (you have to have had xp/vista on the hdd used for the install when windows setup begins). Not like XP and 2K, when the upgrade disc was a different image and one could be prompted to insert a previous windows disc to prove the upgrade.
                  sigpic

Comment

Found the COD of the dead hdd... bad I/O board. it's not spinning up and a specifc part of the baord gets really hot...

I may see how cheap I can find another disk... as the only point in saving this one is to maintain a corruped xp x64 install (haven't redone the array just yet). That would save me maybe 30 mins... but given that it has 27 bad sectors, I don't see putting good money after bad.

edit:

Bid on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...torefresh=true

Offered on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...torefresh=true

As I don't think anybody here on BCN has any WD740's sitting around... if you do, then if the following doesn't work out, then let me know.
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-27-2013, 07:26 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I owe you big time. Good call. Stepped it down to 266, all is well with all 16gb.

So, I can pick either Faster RAM or more RAM.

Thoughts and ideas?

Edit- tried 333 and 366, no dice. I wonder if that's partially why V3.0 never ran well (I ran all 16GB at 400)... But given the AGP issues on all but Xp x64, It wasn't viable in the long run.
                      I ran 12gb @ 400MHz when I was using it for some GPU/SLI and gaming tests. When I began using it as a server (of sorts), I put all 16gb in and clocked the RAM speed down to 266, and it was fine, 100% stable....and as a server, I didn't even feel the downclock.

No problem bud....I ran into this same problem with mine, and was scratching my head....and upon research, experimenting, and some select 4-letter words, I figured it out.... haha
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Just a hint with this board, if all DIMM's are populated, you can not run the RAM at full speed (400MHz), it will crash (BSoD0, fail MEMTEST, and cause all kinds of havoc. .
                        Back in 2004, I may have uncovered a bug with the Asus A7N8X family. (or the nForce2 chipset)

Memtest86 failed at anything higher than 195 Mhz. After 195, it was at least roughly 1.5 errors per Mhz.
                        I got at least 1 error at 196 Mhz and 10 errors at 200 Mhz within 1 hour, IIRC.

I dunno if it was even the RAM, even though it was with only PC2700.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I ran 12gb @ 400MHz when I was using it for some GPU/SLI and gaming tests. When I began using it as a server (of sorts), I put all 16gb in and clocked the RAM speed down to 266, and it was fine, 100% stable....and as a server, I didn't even feel the downclock.

No problem bud....I ran into this same problem with mine, and was scratching my head....and upon research, experimenting, and some select 4-letter words, I figured it out.... haha
                          How were you doing 12gb?

This board will only do 1, 2, or 4 DIMMs per CPU... not 3.

Clarify?
                          sigpic

Comment

removed the last DIMM in each channel. Won't run in dual channel (atleast the bank that's missing a DDIMM), but it was all detected. Run 8GB if you want full dual channel @ 400MHz.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

removed the last DIMM in each channel. Won't run in dual channel (atleast the bank that's missing a DDIMM), but it was all detected. Run 8GB if you want full dual channel @ 400MHz.
                              Yeah

8gb is what V2 had, and it was more than plenty... but that was x32, this is x64 so I'll be using double the RAM (or roughly so). I'll probably run 16gb to start and see where my RAM usage is, and then decide.

I'm not big on mixed single/double channel setups, as it leads situations resembling clock skew.

*please no x32 vs x64 discussions here, if you want me to explain why this is, I'll make a new thread*
                              sigpic

Comment

^
                                Honestly, I'd run the RAM clock @ 266 and call it a day. Unless you're doing some really memory-intensive things like massive rendering applications, you won't really feel it.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

^
                                  Honestly, I'd run the RAM clock @ 266 and call it a day. Unless you're doing some really memory-intensive things like massive rendering applications, you won't really feel it.
                                  I see. V2 ran at 266 as well... I'll see how my RAM usage is under load and see what I get.
                                  sigpic

Comment

TBH, I think that unless you're actually using applications which need more than 8GB (which few do), then you're better off with 8GB at 400MHz. The speed of the RAM will always be an improvement (at least in theory), but the amount won't make a difference unless you actually use it
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      TBH, I think that unless you're actually using applications which need more than 8GB (which few do), then you're better off with 8GB at 400MHz. The speed of the RAM will always be an improvement (at least in theory), but the amount won't make a difference unless you actually use it
                                      My thoughts exactly. Hence why I'll try 16gb and see how much actully use, and if I'm nowhere close to breaking 8gb, pull 4 modules and drop the speed.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        Yeah

8gb is what V2 had, and it was more than plenty... but that was x32, this is x64 so I'll be using double the RAM (or roughly so). I'll probably run 16gb to start and see where my RAM usage is, and then decide.

*please no x32 vs x64 discussions here, if you want me to explain why this is, I'll make a new thread*
                                        Not going to start discussion (at least i hope so) but no, 64 bit operating systems don't use twice the memory.
                                        The memory usage does increase a bit, but only by about 10-15% and 32bit applications running on 64bit windows would use the same amount of memory as on 32bit OS.

On that old system, you would be fine even with 8 GB of memory, but it's not worth dropping down to 8 or 12 just to get higher frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                          Not going to start discussion (at least i hope so) but no, 64 bit operating systems don't use twice the memory.
                                          The memory usage does increase a bit, but only by about 10-15% and 32bit applications running on 64bit windows would use the same amount of memory as on 32bit OS.

On that old system, you would be fine even with 8 GB of memory, but it's not worth dropping down to 8 or 12 just to get higher frequency.
                                          The reasons which I won't go into actually are at the core of memory addressing (I took a college digital class where we actually built memory arrays with bare IC's). There are ways around it, which if done properly can often reduce the effects. However, with directly ported x32 programs, it will use double the ram. I may write a thread on how this works...
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X