Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

I actually really like how that one turned out - it looks pretty good inside and out!

Only thing?
    FYI, I did check the windows performance index... it's rated at 6.2, which for a rig this old, is pretty awesome IMHO. I've had no performance issues aero-wise, so I think it may be biased towards newer HW (probably to increase sales of new hardware).
    Why this conspiracy bull$h!t? 6.2 is a quite good score for the system you've got. Sure, I get 8.1 to 8.2 on every aspect of the score but I'm running a much never high-end system so it doesn't even compare.

Only odd thing about your system is the card reader is a glossy black everythign else is matte black. lol

Comment

I get 5.9 ... simply because I use a 400 GB 7200rpm as main drive.
      The performance index is bullshit... it tops at 7.9 on my windows, 7.7 for the fx-8320 and 7.9 for memory, everything else except the drives at 7.5

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        Looks nice... my only nitpick would be the use of those plastic things used to tie cables together.
        I hate those, I like to use velcro.
        Zip ties?

Having a FIRST robotics background, it's only natural that I use zip ties and wire buttons (stick on zip tie cleats). Seriously, within that community, instead of duct tape jokes, we have zip tie jokes.

I use velcro for laptop cable storage (if you look in the 2nd pic you can see some on couple cables formerly used with my laptop). even there, I use zip ties to keep the velcro frome going to the wrong part of the cable.

For places where I may undo things, I used some kwick-connect straps... one for the SATA RAID bundle, one for the upper part of the mobo/GPU power umbilical. everywhere else, only things that I likely won't need to separate get the ties...

My beef with velcro is that it peels open too much... zip ties (for low-stress wires at least) is a "set it and forget it" kind of thing.

edit- Yeah, I know the shades of black don't match on any of the drives. Shit happens.
        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-10-2013, 09:01 AM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Good to see you have it up and running I think you might want to put the DIMM's in the black slots only to start with, then add them to the blues if you add more memory in the future. I didn't see anything specific about DIMM population though in the manual, so maybe you have it right.. I'd verify it's running in dual channel mode using cpu-z or another app like that..

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            I get 5.9 ... simply because I use a 400 GB 7200rpm as main drive.
            Looks like it's impossible to get more than 5.9 on a single HDD. Must be in RAID.
            (Probably RAID0 required.)
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978 View Post
              Good to see you have it up and running I think you might want to put the DIMM's in the black slots only to start with, then add them to the blues if you add more memory in the future. I didn't see anything specific about DIMM population though in the manual, so maybe you have it right.. I'd verify it's running in dual channel mode using cpu-z or another app like that..
              AFAIK They're in all the "1" positions. I'll recheck my manual.

Edit- yes, I am. I have one in each A1/B1 position. It did show as being single channel in CPU-Z though... the manual says NOTHING about after A1 what order to fill them in. IIRC B1 is the next for dual channel, not A2, right?
              Last edited by ratdude747; 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

pretty sure you want to populate A1 and A2 of each CPU first.. then at least you could see if it changes to dual channel mode. I was running it with all 8 DIMM's populated with identical reg ECC dimm's, so i never ran in any other than dual channel.

Comment

pretty sure you want to populate A1 and A2 of each CPU first.. then at least you could see if it changes to dual channel mode. I was running it with all 8 DIMM's populated with identical reg ECC dimm's, so i never ran in any other than dual channel.
                  When I'm home next, I'll try that.

I thought it meant "channel A, channel B". That's how intel boards are laid out at least...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Looks like it's impossible to get more than 5.9 on a single HDD. Must be in RAID.
                    (Probably RAID0 required.)
                    10k plus drives might get higher, not sure though.

RD - Looks good man, nice and neat. Good job!

Comment

I've never seen Windows performance index get above 5.9 with a single mechanical drive, my SSD scores 7.3 (lowest score on my system, when I can afford a second one I'll see if it's any better!)...

Never looked at what a RAID array scores, only RAID set-ups I have are in my server boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
                        I've never seen Windows performance index get above 5.9 with a single mechanical drive, my SSD scores 7.3 (lowest score on my system, when I can afford a second one I'll see if it's any better!)...

Never looked at what a RAID array scores, only RAID set-ups I have are in my server boxes.
                        I happen to own both a 15K SAS drive (rebranded IBM eServer) and a corsair neutron.
                        The 15K SAS ousts the SSD in multiple random read/writes. The problem with SSDs is that they are only good at either writing or reading ONE thing at a time.

My stupid daughtercard LSI logic controller went haywire (no more 15K SAS), so I went SSD for the time being. I think I'll just get a proper adaptec PCIe controller.

--> keep in mind though, the 15K SAS drive sounds like a cement grinder on steroids (it's a fresh fairly new drive too, they're just inherently noisy). So if you don't like that type of sound, SSD is definitely the way to go for quiet computing.
                        (if anyone wants a sound sample I can gladly provide that).

Comment

Correct. Moved them, we're dual channel now.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post

I have two Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs in RAID0 on my computer which basically gives me a gig of throughput Gets an 8.2 in WEI. Everything else (CPU, Graphics, RAM, etc) get 8.1 which is funny.

Comment

How do you get such high scores? I thought 7.9 was the highest possible score.

Comment

Here's a WEI printout:

Attached Files
                                sigpic

Comment

Topcat did a Novabench run on his current setup awile back:

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  Well,not sure how believeable this program is....its saying I have P3's, even after some patch they said it needed.....but here's the result after installing and running without a reboot. I had 2 browser windows up and outlook.

Specs....note what it says the processors are

...and the results...

From what I'm reading about this, the video card is the biggest killer of my overall score....
                                  Too bad it wasn't the previous system, as it used the same board and all.

Here's what I got:

Attached Files
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 08-11-2013, 10:29 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                    How do you get such high scores? I thought 7.9 was the highest possible score.
                                    He uses Windows 8 and that goes up to 9.9

Comment

^
                                      9.9? Why can't Microsoft just give a score out of 10 like everyone else?
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That's a good point. Who knows?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          Topcat did a Novabench run on his current setup awile back:

Too bad it wasn't the previous system, as it used the same board and all.

Here's what I got:

Those novabench results were not on the opteron system, they are the results of my current office machine, which is a dual quadcore xeon. I never did novabench the opti box before I dismantled it....I guess I should have.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                          Team : 49813
                                          Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X