Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    It's not WinCE, if that's what you're thinking.
    When the power comes on after it's been out, you can see the (XP-like) boot screens on all of the registers.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Huh, I hope they DO unplug them. And disconnect the phone number.
      The phone number is the same, regardless of the product. As for the whole XP EOL thing, I don't really have too much of a problem with downgrading to 7. I can quite easily work my way around either OS. In fact, two of the four PCs we have here are running 7, and I'll probably upgrade the other two when I feel like shelling out for more licenses.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 11-10-2013, 11:43 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

How does one save all the existing updates post a service pack in case one needs to reinstall them (and hove no net access, or in this case no MS support)? Make our own "Service pack 4"?

I still have one XP box (dual boot) that I may care about (but that machine pretty much is dilapidated), perhaps I should fresh install it one last time before MS does away with it.

Comment

I have some legacy software where the company that made it EOL'd back in the Xp heydays and it wont run on vista or 7/8 so this will affect it. but that's it.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            One Problem: Drivers. While I can usually find an xpx64 driver for even the most obscure harware, I know at least with some sound cards/ onboard chips xp64 drivers either don't exist, don't work, or crash the system.
            I think it's good with an Emu 10K1-based sound card and the kxProject drivers!

No crashes that I know about.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              How does one save all the existing updates post a service pack in case one needs to reinstall them (and hove no net access, or in this case no MS support)? Make our own "Service pack 4"?

I still have one XP box (dual boot) that I may care about (but that machine pretty much is dilapidated), perhaps I should fresh install it one last time before MS does away with it.
              You have to download them and slipstream them into an image if you want them all pre-installed for a reload. I do hope they make it easy for us and do one final 'rollup' update with everything since SP3 rolled into one.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Just remember everyone you can just make a virtual image of your drive and then run it in a VM on a new computer for legacy software. I been doing that for years or speciality software. Plus if something goes wrong i just revert the image.

Comment

Microsoft should offer the SP4 before ringing the End of Life Bell.
                  If they do not do that, they not worth any respect.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    One Problem: Drivers. While I can usually find an xpx64 driver for even the most obscure harware, I know at least with some sound cards/ onboard chips xp64 drivers either don't exist, don't work, or crash the system.
                    I couldn't agree more, funny thing is that even M$ didn't support XP64 (perhaps a way to draw us into Vista and 7 64bit) I had a microsoft fingerprint reader from a client and the 64bit driver is still coming.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                      That and the licencing! Same with apple.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

We had about 75 XP machines left at work (out of a total of around ~225). I think we're down to about 12 now. We deployed 45 new HP AiO PCs with Windows 8 (parent company's standard), plus a few Opti 745's with Win7 pro, and some laptops with Win7/8. I'm not sad to see the XP machines go, as they were all P4/Celeron machines. The GX60/260/270/280 machines are getting harder and harder to keep running.

Our new standard is a complete computer cycle every 4 years, at 25% per year. Buying 4 year warranties means that I will never be without support (for as long as we stick to the plan).

This is nice to see:

I've been supporting these exact machines for the last 11 years. Originally as a student in HS, when I installed an entire building full of GX260's. After I graduated, I started working where I'm at now, and we bought a bunch of them as the school was cycling them out. I've continued to string them along with recaps for the last 6 years... Some of these have my handwriting on them from when I was still in school, because even then we were replacing motherboards by the dozen.
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by stepgr View Post
                          I couldn't agree more, funny thing is that even M$ didn't support XP64 (perhaps a way to draw us into Vista and 7 64bit)
                          Reminds me of Microsoft's Windows 95 OSR2 licensing fiasco of the late 1990s.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post

Our new standard is a complete computer cycle every 4 years, at 25% per year.
                            Sounds like the xtreme overclocking world, where folks are lucky to have a board for 2 years, because they get killed.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

wait, will support for my ipaq end too?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by stepgr View Post
                                I couldn't agree more, funny thing is that even M$ didn't support XP64 (perhaps a way to draw us into Vista and 7 64bit) I had a microsoft fingerprint reader from a client and the 64bit driver is still coming.....
                                There is an unofficial fix (for vista and later)...

http://teknogods.com:8081/phpbb/view...php?f=3&t=8653

That's what I use on my main rig... I have a microsoft keyboard with fingerprint reader; it runs 7 x64. IIRC it doesn't work for XP64 though. As long as you follow the directions exactly, it works perfectly... and it also works for microsoft stand-alone readers too (the keyboard has the same HW attached via an internal USB hub).
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  You have to download them and slipstream them into an image if you want them all pre-installed for a reload. I do hope they make it easy for us and do one final 'rollup' update with everything since SP3 rolled into one.
                                  There is also a handy open source application called WSUS Offline Update. http://www.wsusoffline.net/
                                  You can download all the updates from various versions of Windows and Office for offline storage. It also has the ability to create an ISO image with all the updates on it along with an installation script which will install all the updates automatically, in the right order and can be set to automatically resume installing updates when Windows requires a restart to 'finish' installing an update.

Slipstreaming is still a nicer solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                                    Unlikely...why would any company spend money to develop something on a platform that they are just about to pull the pin on.

Comment

To understand things correctly, MS website says:
                                      "It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates."

As far as i understand, if i install Wxp from an older CD, i will still be able to acquire updates over ms update that were released before end of life? And it says that there will not be any security updates, and non-security hotfixes, which means that security related hotfixes will be released? It doesn't say anything about changes in activation though.

If i am right, it is more of a marketing trick to force people to buy 7 and 8. Am I?

Comment

What I think, is that the code writers will patch and update old OS's until new hardware makes it so obsolete it needs to be rewritten from scratch. Then they will come out with Windows 7 and then 8 and whatever comes next. It seems to be that way. When 98 was obsoleted, I tried to update my old system with XP but it wouldn't operate on it. I had to get a four core processor and new mother board. The good news is I have since updated to 7 and it is working pretty good. My new computer will have 7 on it from the start.
                                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                                          Unlikely...why would any company spend money to develop something on a platform that they are just about to pull the pin on.
                                          Customer service... Why do car companies make parts for cars not in production?

By Sp4, it would be a lumping of all updates made for xp (including sp3 which includes all SP's previous)... not that hard to make. that way it could be DL'd once .
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X