Sony STR-DN1030 Distorted audio when Volume adjusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony STR-DN1030 Distorted audio when Volume adjusted

New to Audio equipment. Received this 7.2 Surround Sound system - had a blown channel and fixed that (0.22 ohm resistor, 2 transistors, and 1 100 ohm replaced)

All channels now work. However, when I raise the volume with knob or remote, it doesn't work smoothly - you can heard distortion, and some speakers don't seem to work at max or somewhere in between..

First thought was the actual audio switch - but then Remote volume control shouldn't have this problem, but it does.

Second thought was the ribbon cable from front display to control board (V-Flex, 29 pin Cable) was pitched in the process and repaired it for testing. Though I can't seem to find a replacement for it anywhere.

Any thoughts what to look for here?
    Thanks

Re: Sony STR-DN1030 Distorted audio when Volume adjusted

maybe just an calibration issue. I'd do a factory reset and let it auto calibrate... see if it fixes your problem.

Comment

Tried both, reset and calibrate - no change

Comment

Try to bypass all digital processing. If it is still there, the problem has to be on the pre amp or amplifier stage. A oscilloscope would be almost a must here to see what is happening where. Then you can compare inputs and outputs of each individual stage.

Comment

Just to add more info.. this distortion upon volume up / down happens even with Bluetooth source and listening with the headphone on the front jack. Seems to be common to everything.

Comment

I figured that would be the case. See if you can find a service manual and an oscilloscope. Shotgunning things won’t help much here.

Comment

I have both.. what should I be looking for please??
              Attached Files

Comment

first I'd do all of page 6. Read page 13 and make sure this thing is totally cleared of everything. The hard part is to figure out if that is an alignment issue or an actual hardware fault of some sort.

I usually start from the back and work my way towards the front. Compare each amplifying stage in and output from the bad channel to the good channel. Check what comes out of the DAC. See what goes into the DAC.

Comment

Look at the block diagram like page 19. It tells you all you need to know. Plus you can always pull up spec sheets of individual pieces to figure out the pinouts.

Comment

Will do.. just looking at diagram of page 17... if I apply input at SA-CD/CD Audio In then listen to audio Either front phones (page 19) or any of the speakers I hear the distortion. This tells me that the IC400 is the issue or IC2105 (Page 17)? I don't know how the volume control adjusts the gain?

Comment

Completed page 6 and 13...everything cleared. Problem persistes

Comment

Well, if that’s the case you need to go through all the amplifying stages. You may have to take transistors out too and measure the hfi gain. Also look at the input stages, make sure levels are equal.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                          Well, if that's the case you need to go through all the amplifying stages. You may have to take transistors out too and measure the hfi gain. Also look at the input stages, make sure levels are equal.
                          Could you please look at Post #10. Am I on the right track?

Comment

You should do more tests first. Try all inputs and also switch over to the not used ones. If you get bleed over, let’s say input 1 has a CD player on it and switch to input 3 that has notching connected and you still hear the CD player, then the input selector is at fault. You can read and old thread of mine with a Sony strd590 I believe. Try the tuner, the usb inputs etc. to get a better picture. Meanwhile I’ll check that service manual out.

Does the subwoofer out distort too? See if the video audio out is clean? That should bypass the amps PA stages.

This thing has a built in signal generator? Turn it on and see what happens.

Might be also worth checking the relays. I don’t think ic2105 is the cause.
                            Last edited by CapLeaker; 06-08-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                              You should do more tests first. Try all inputs and also switch over to the not used ones. If you get bleed over, let's say input 1 has a CD player on it and switch to input 3 that has notching connected and you still hear the CD player, then the input selector is at fault. You can read and old thread of mine with a Sony strd590 I believe. Try the tuner, the usb inputs etc. to get a better picture. Meanwhile I'll check that service manual out.

Does the subwoofer out distort too? See if the video audio out is clean? That should bypass the amps PA stages.

This thing has a built in signal generator? Turn it on and see what happens.

Might be also worth checking the relays. I don't think ic2105 is the cause.

First finding is that the subwoofer channel does not have the distortion - volume adjusts beautifully

Actually, all output speakers seem to work well, except the "FRONT A" Left and the headphone plug in the front of the unit (which makes sense, as Channel FL is the one the headphones are pulled from.) FL is the channel that was blown when I got the unit. So I don't know if I got bad parts or if there are more bad components on that channel.

Seems (in addition to distortion) as I go from low volume to high the headphones shift to right only and left seems to be shutting off.

Again for that channel, I had to replace Q703, Q704, R713, and R709 (see attached)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jason123; 06-09-2022, 03:39 PM. Reason: Added content

Comment

That tells you the problem is somewhere in the PA. Nice thing is that you can compare the left channel to the right channel and go through each amplifying stage. The subwoofer output bypasses the PA stage totally, which indicates there is still a problem of some sort in the PA.

Comment

There are only slight impedance differences between the channels. Only thing i can think of the large transistors i bought on eBay, though listed as new, the leads were tinned. Guess i can replace those again?

Comment

One option would be to swap the new parts between the L and R channels.

Comment

Originally posted by frankusb View Post
                                      One option would be to swap the new parts between the L and R channels.
                                      Thanks.. certainly an option - these boards are so cheaply made though, it's very easy to lift a pad and I'm trying to avoid that if I can.

Comment

The only other thing I can think of is that the replacement didn’t have the exact part number. For example: A 2SA1164 has three different versions in which the gain rating is totally different. So a 2SA1164-GR has like three times the gain than a 2SA1164-O.

Comment

Working...
                                        X