Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad?

I'm building a media server, which streams out 1080p high-bitrate video content to many media sinks over gigabit ethernet.

I've bought an Intel DG965WH for a decent price. I'm planning to outfit it with 8GB RAM, two or three 1TB drives, a small USB disk for the OS (<8GB), and FreeNAS or ubuntu-server (or similar Linux based NFS capable package.)

Now, in the manual for this motherboard:

it states that it supports Core 2 Duo. It doesn't say if it supports Core 2 Quad.

Yet, Intel's compatibility guide suggests it does:
    http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...rdname=dg965wh

So, can anyone confirm if this board will run a quad?

The main reason is NFS, the protocol I am using, is inherently multi-threaded, so it would greatly benefit it if I could have four cores. That being said, I'm not going to be using much CPU power, as the activity is mostly network driven, which is DMA. So I'm not sure if I need four cores, but it's nice to have the capability, in case I want to do other stuff like off-load some matlab stuff to it.
    Last edited by tom66; 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad?

I think a Core 2 Duo might be overwhelmed with that task. A Core 2 Quad would be the way to go. That board supports up to the Q6700 @ 2.66GHz with at least BIOS version 1713. I think that would be plenty powerful, they are still good procs.

Comment

I would recommend something similar to what is in my signature so you will get no lag.

Comment

I am not using an i7 in a server which is going to be idle most of the time. That's just overkill.

Regarding BIOS version, if I put in an incompatible processor but the BIOS is running the older firmware, how do I upgrade it? Do I need an interim processor? I don't know what firmware the BIOS has, as I bought the board used.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-026598.htm

Processor Processor Frequency Intel HD Graphics Cache Bus Speed Min. BIOS Version Compatible Board Revision [What is a Board Revision?]
          Collapse to hide the details Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] Q6700 2.66 GHz No 8 MB 1066 MHz 1713 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] Q6600 2.40 GHz No 8 MB 1066 MHz 1713 Multiple Values

Expand to see the details [Compatible but requires additional information] E6700 2.66 GHz No 4 MB 1066 MHz 0816 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible but requires additional information] E6600 2.40 GHz No 4 MB 1066 MHz Multiple Values All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E6420 2.13 GHz No 4 MB 1066 MHz 0816 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E6400 2.13 GHz No 2 MB 1066 MHz 0816 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E6320 1.86 GHz No 4 MB 1066 MHz 0816 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible but requires additional information] E6300 1.86 GHz No 2 MB 1066 MHz 0816 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E4700 2.60 GHz No 2 MB 800 MHz 1719 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E4600 2.40 GHz No 2 MB 800 MHz 1713 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E4500 2.20 GHz No 2 MB 800 MHz 1698 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E4400 2.00 GHz No 2 MB 800 MHz 1698 All
          Expand to see the details [Compatible] E4300 1.80 GHz No 2 MB 800 MHz 1614 All
          Last edited by mariushm; 06-18-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            I am not using an i7 in a server which is going to be idle most of the time. That's just overkill.

Regarding BIOS version, if I put in an incompatible processor but the BIOS is running the older firmware, how do I upgrade it? Do I need an interim processor? I don't know what firmware the BIOS has, as I bought the board used.
            Yeah an i7 would be overkill. Unfortunately you would need an older proc so that you could update the BIOS. I bet you it is 1713 or higher though, the 1713 BIOS update was released in December, 2007

Comment

I think I may buy a £5 Core 2 Duo @ 2.2~2.4GHz and then upgrade to Core 2 Quad if I decide performance becomes an issue.
              Last edited by tom66; 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

how many sinks will you be streaming to? your disk i/o speed might well end up being your limiting factor. I think the 2.xGHz Core 2 Duo should be more than up to the task.

Comment

I'm targeting three simultaneous 1080p 25Mbit or six simultaneous 720p 10Mbit streams.

Comment

well you might want a/v tuned hdd's then, i think they have firmware optimizations to allow better performance for this kind of thing..

Comment

I thought DVR and A/V tuned HDDs were just quieter. I'm running the server in a different room, so noise isn't a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X