The old IC appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old IC appreciation thread

The rack of bins of parts came from an older professor of mine... he also gave me a 1963 Heathkit 1012 scope (AC 1-channel, vaccum tubed) in full working order that he built when he was 18 (if that tells you how old he is)... but that scope is worthy of it's own thread (especially given that it's all I have for a scope). He tells me most of these chips were free ones he got as samples over the years... Many I suspect are somewhat rare.

If you love gold leads/contacts, keep reading... lots of gold here. And no, I'm not gonna digger gold these things (they're too cool even if I don't have a use for them)

Anyway, we first have a mectric buttload (14 chips) of Motorola XC8520

I'm almost certain they're all engineering samples... IIRC they were used in the Apple I and Altair 8800...

Next, some XC6800B:

And a MOS 6502:

A lone 6850:

Some old RAM IC's:

Some GE 10 bit DACs:

(that was almost what I was needing for one of the parts, I ultimately settled on a modern SPI 8-bit)

Here's some chips so old I can't get a datasheet on them:

They may be ADC chips but I really don't know. The bin is labled as "CUSD-A/D's" if that's a hint.

Some old dual op-amps:

The lower one is another 747.

some screwy multi-digit 7 segment displays:

I can't find a pinout anywhere on those... someday I'm thinking of making a watch/clock with one.

some old single digit 7-segments (most made by HP):

Old-style packaged LM311:

Some old 555/556 timers:

Last, there were all sorts of 4000 series chips... most were plastic or black ceramic... but I found some execptions in the 4011 bin:

Am I the only person who thinks old chips are cool?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 10-31-2013, 01:49 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: The old IC appreciation thread

The pinout for those 7 segment displays is super simple.
    They're common anode or common cathode, meaning the segments are joined together for all digits and then you have 5 pins (one for each digit) that either takes current (common anode) or sinks current (common cathode)

So if you want to display something, you have to go in a loop through each digit and give/sink power through the pin for that digit and sink/send current through the particular segment.

Easiest way would be to get a couple of AA batteries or around 3v and a 330-1000 ohm resistor and simply try put power through pins from the opposite sides.
    Most such display have maximum reverse voltage of about 5v so use lower voltages to figure out the pinout.

The single digits are the same.. one cathode/anode and the segments and the dots. The anode or cathode is usually on the corner somewhere.
    Last edited by mariushm; 10-31-2013, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Am I the only person who thinks old chips are cool?
      Not at all. Old Motorola stuff and LED displays are awesome!

There are twisted elaborate ways to build an SMPS with those parts. As in each function per chip. With the 556 and LM311, you're mostly there.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I knew saving these would be worthwhile someday! j/k
        A few more coming when I have time...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          I knew saving these would be worthwhile someday! j/k
          A few more coming when I have time...
          Intel!

all my really old chips are motorola (minus an AMD dual op-amp?)... no old intel chips.
          sigpic

Comment

Photo 9/13 .The funny Led 7 segment displays look just like the displays that were used by HP on their early calculators. They were also used on other equipment but at this time I can't say which. In the 80s they went over to LCDs. A lot of HP projects excess parts and engineering scrap went into a bin available to schools. A lot of what you show looks as if it came from that bin.

Comment

Yes, rd, that 747 is a dual uA741-type op-amp, and it was made by AMD. Back in the mid- and late-70s AMD made linear ICs as well as digital.

Since Mot P/Ns usually had "MC" as a prefix, I wonder if those Mot parts with the "XC" prefix might be pre-production prototypes.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

just intercepted a bunch here that were given up for recycling.
                worth more for repairing vintage stuff and even ebay fodder for the chip collectors.
                nice to be able to restore something with period correct parts.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                  just intercepted a bunch here that were given up for recycling.
                  worth more for repairing vintage stuff and even ebay fodder for the chip collectors.
                  nice to be able to restore something with period correct parts.
                  oh yeah... given ebay prices the first picture is worth $196 ($14 a chip)... but since they were gifted, I don't feel good selling them.... however, if somebody here actually needs one of them, I'd send at the cost of shipping or trade.

Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                  Photo 9/13 .The funny Led 7 segment displays look just like the displays that were used by HP on their early calculators. They were also used on other equipment but at this time I can't say which. In the 80s they went over to LCDs. A lot of HP projects excess parts and engineering scrap went into a bin available to schools. A lot of what you show looks as if it came from that bin.

I bet they are... although his professorship didn't start till 5 years ago or so (he was at ITT for a few, he's been at my college, Purdue, for 4 so far... but the last two only part time.)

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                  Yes, rd, that 747 is a dual uA741-type op-amp, and it was made by AMD. Back in the mid- and late-70s AMD made linear ICs as well as digital.

Since Mot P/Ns usually had "MC" as a prefix, I wonder if those Mot parts with the "XC" prefix might be pre-production prototypes.
                  I'm almost certian they are... the first ones are probably (since that's what I got when I googled it), and knowing Bill (the prof), I bet most of the chips in the cabinet are (they're samples he's gotten at the least).

EDIT- uh oh! the MOS 6502 is a 1975 chip. Bad right-rotation instruction! Does that make it worth more or worth less?
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

delete this post... (looks at paws, sees no claws)
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      Intel!

http://youtu.be/aEDpqFHTSVM?t=2m14s
                      sorry couldn't help myself
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

nice old chips The bulk of your motorola chips is from '75, so def worth some money, if not for use.

Comment

I have a huge eprom collection I'm not sure what to do with anymore. The ones I have pictured were the more special one (8748, probably the first all-in-one microcontroller; and the 2708 1KBx8 EPROM). The 2708 isn't very special (1702 predates it, probably more?) but it's in the gold cover/ceramic package that I don't see too much of.

The "TO-" round can linear ICs are something though... I think I also have a board with resistor-transistor-logic digital ICs on it, and they're in round cans too...

I'll have to look but I'm sure I have some 1960's ICs somewhere IIRC... Those RTL digital ICs may date there. I'll have to also doublecheck the older TTL gates that I have, some may be that old as well.

Too bad a lot of my older chips have their markings rubbed off *sigh* I have an ancient 709 op amp whose markings rubbed off so I had to write on it to make sure I remember it's a 709.

(and about two or three decades ago I was desperately looking for those 2Kx8 or 8kx8 static RAMs cheaply to build something with... never found any then that I can afford... now all virtually garbage, sigh.)
                          Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

RD - those HM6116's are Hitachi RAM.

Cool finds!
                            Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Well, I guess some of these are still in circuit or pulls or junk.
                              F996079 - an ancient 1-of-10 decoder IIRC with open collectors. It's used to drive a neon Nixie tube.
                              MC714G - I forget what logic IC this is, IIRC it was DTL or RTL logic that predates TTL...
                              smtdtl - A cursory Google search says they're DTL ICs in the "old school" surface mount technology.
                              And some more 70s ICs, a (fried) 1978 hex-to-7-seg IC/LED, and some old capacitors. Unfortunately most of my really old capacitors are at my parents' house.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I have some old stuff too, including germanium transistors and diodes. I have some old chips, well, quite a lot ... probably a dozen Z80's, and some intel and AMD chips too.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                  Well, I guess some of these are still in circuit or pulls or junk.
                                  F996079 - an ancient 1-of-10 decoder IIRC with open collectors. It's used to drive a neon Nixie tube.
                                  MC714G - I forget what logic IC this is, IIRC it was DTL or RTL logic that predates TTL...
                                  smtdtl - A cursory Google search says they're DTL ICs in the "old school" surface mount technology.
                                  And some more 70s ICs, a (fried) 1978 hex-to-7-seg IC/LED, and some old capacitors. Unfortunately most of my really old capacitors are at my parents' house.
                                  I have a couple of F996079, do you know where I can get the datasheet or pin-out for this driver?

Comment

Probably need to reverse engineer it, apparently these are way obsolete when the 7441 became readily available.

It does look like pin 16=VCC, Pin 8=GND, pins 15,14(likely MSB),7,6 are inverted BCD inputs, and the rest of the 10 pins are outputs to the NIXIEs. Can't discern much else without more careful analysis...

Comment

Is this of any help, the us3838201 file shows a diagram with the cul9960 ic's pinout
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by R_J; 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah looks like z4 is the target chip on page 4, looks like 4.5V is sufficient to power it? Still no clear idea which is MSB/LSB except assumptions that it's in bit order of some sort. Pin 14 from what I can tell is indeed MSB, and pin 6 is LSB..

1 !O1 16 +4v5
                                        2 !O3 15 !In2
                                        3 !O5 14 !In3
                                        4 !O7 13 !O2
                                        5 !O9 12 !O4
                                        6 !In0 11 !O6
                                        7 !In1 10 !O8
                                        8 GND 9 !O0 (note, assuming pin 4 is actually !O7 due to it printed twice)

Looks like there's a bit of order to the madness?

Might have to rip them out of the board, or perhaps try to get the board that I have nixie tubes on with the F/CµL 996079's up and running once more...

This board I have is from some qualitative analysis equipment someone parted, its display is X.XX x10^-X though apparently it can't get to 10^-8 or smaller...

Comment

Working...
                                        X