segate hard drive connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

segate hard drive connections?

Hi guys ;anybody knows for what type of desktop or motherboard is this segate hard drive,it has a deferent connection then i use to see all my desktops have pins connections

http://www.donordrives.com/seagate-3...ard-drive.html

Re: segate hard drive connections?

The AS suffix indicates it is a SATA hard drive which is the standard for computers made in 2004-5 timeframe or later..

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978 View Post
      The AS suffix indicates it is a SATA hard drive which is the standard for computers made in 2004-5 timeframe or later..
      Thanks; this hard drive was given to me and i was about to throw it out cause it was all dirty and it did not fit in most of my desktops,but coincidently today i did go install a fan in my Ati Amd 6450 video card in my main lenovo pc and for my surprise the plugs fit in my Lenovo Thinkcenter m71e i knew it but i had forget it,it's what happen when one is getting old, i did connected it to test if it was good,it had Win Vista on it, but it did not boot all the way, had errors and also needed name and password, then i had Xubuntu 1310 in a USB stick booted with it and tested it and it came up good,then installed linux and now i have an extra hard drive, what a luck,also by coincidence i was looking at the ram slots and see that i can add one more slot of 4gb ram to make it 8gb, well this day was a full day of surprises.

Comment

There are *still* people discovering SATA for the first time?

Anyway, this is how practically all hard drives (and optical drives) come now. It's almost impossible to find IDE drives now. In fact, my motherboard doesn't even have an IDE controller (6 SATA III ports, though).

Here's a comparison of the speeds:

IDE (max.) - 1,064 MBit/s
        SATA I - 1,500 Mbit/s
        SATA II - 3,000 Mbit/s
        SATA III - 6,000 Mbit/s

Even cheap SSDs can saturate IDE or SATA I, and some expensive SSDs can saturate SATA II now. (I still think they moved to SATA because it's cheaper, though)

Comment

Also, IIRC, SATA has much higher total capacity than EIDE.

Perhaps EIDE would have gotten the larger capacities if they had continued to make them (as platter technology advanced).

Comment

Working...
          X