Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to repair a laptop battery (chip reset)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to repair a laptop battery (chip reset)

Hello everyone,

In the last 10 years, I have dedicated a good period to create a device to analyze and repair laptop batteries. Since this domain is a top-secret domain with poor information on the internet on how a laptop battery works, what is inside, what is the chip doing, how to reset, etc., I decided to create a topic where I can answer your questions, of course, if there is interest.

If the moderators think that it is not fine to have it then no problem.

Re: How to repair a laptop battery (chip reset)

can it be modified to use for other battery packs like say 80v power tool ones ?

Comment

Originally posted by azzidoqsc View Post
      Hello everyone,

In the last 10 years, I have dedicated a good period to create a device to analyze and repair laptop batteries. Since this domain is a top-secret domain with poor information on the internet on how a laptop battery works, what is inside, what is the chip doing, how to reset, etc., I decided to create a topic where I can answer your questions, of course, if there is interest.

If the moderators think that it is not fine to have it then no problem.

I would love to learn from you and i am sure that there will be many other members who are interested in the subject 👍

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        can it be modified to use for other battery packs like say 80v power tool ones ?
        No. The gas gauge chip used inside the laptop batteries (typically TI BQ family) is designed for 1s to 4s, max 5s for drone batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by anshad View Post
          I would love to learn from you and i am sure that there will be many other members who are interested in the subject 👍
          Sure

Comment

I would Love to learn

Comment

Great idea. I just started to work on arduino project for communicating with laptop battery via i2c. For start my plan is to go with BQ series ic and extend it for more during the time.

Comment

There are analyzer devices and software that can be used for battery repair. Professional repairmen are also available. The program chip in the battery can be rearranged by connection via USB.

In fact, it communicates with the IO chip, battery inside the notebook via I2C. windows user should be able to access this information with an application. I need a program.
                Last edited by Sametbey; 07-22-2021, 11:58 AM.
                I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Originally posted by Sametbey View Post
                  There are analyzer devices and software that can be used for battery repair. Professional repairmen are also available. The program chip in the battery can be rearranged by connection via USB.

In fact, it communicates with the IO chip, battery inside the notebook via I2C. windows user should be able to access this information with an application. I need a program.
                  There are 2-3 softwares, just softwares that cost from 350$ worst one to 1000$ a good one. No support included, actually no English to poor English.
                  Maybe you know another device/product, just paste it here.

Using a Windows program you have access only to the SBS standard commands like reading few information CycleCount, ManufacturerDate, ManufacturerName, FCC, etc. But you won't have access to the SMBus routines to send any command like Unsealing the chip or programming it.

Comment

Originally posted by nikolayu View Post
                    Great idea. I just started to work on arduino project for communicating with laptop battery via i2c. For start my plan is to go with BQ series ic and extend it for more during the time.
                    There are already libraries for Arduino that can read laptop battery information over I2C. Note that the communication protocol is SMBus, it is very similar to I2C but there are still differences. You can read more chips, not just BQ family. My question is, what do you plan to do ? just reading the parameters ?

Comment

there's a device here,
                      Attached Files
                      I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

there's a device here,
                        And I am the author.

Comment

And I am the author.
                          Keep up with the good work...

Comment

there's a device here,
                            this software totally paid

Comment

batmon is best free, but there is battery analyzer hw boxes.

Comment

There are 2-3 softwares, just softwares that cost from 350$ worst one to 1000$ a good one. No support included, actually no English to poor English.
                                Maybe you know another device/product, just paste it here.

Using a Windows program you have access only to the SBS standard commands like reading few information CycleCount, ManufacturerDate, ManufacturerName, FCC, etc. But you won't have access to the SMBus routines to send any command like Unsealing the chip or programming it.
                                Kindly give me the link of both software to purchase..

Comment

Which device you recommend for all types battery reprogramming?

Comment

Working...
                                  X