Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about SCADA

Originally posted by redwire View Post
    We always set up testbenches in the office, with an entire RTU/PLC and HMI to do programming and test. It's too costly and dangerous to debug on site.
    I would hope that all new ( concepts and or projects ) are tested this way but I have a feeling that most of time they are not and this why we have had seen major equipment failure in the past

You would think that developers would have learned this concept and use this concept when developing something new that has not been done before
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The hassle is triggering I/O points, either by using lots of wires and switches, or in software. You can't simulate the entire system at your desk sometimes.
      But it saves so much time checking the mapping of HMI to PLC points, designing the HMI screens, MODBUS communications etc.

Another reason for the duplicate system in the office was for travel time and expenses. If you are constantly driving out to site to troubleshoot or make a program change, it gets expensive. It depends how far away your office is from the project. I charged my employer for gasoline, meals, hotel, airfare expenses.
      You can't always shut down a process to fart around, customers get pissed off.

We usually sold off that system hardware and bought a new system on later projects. So the (in the office) system is sort of like having an inventory of spares. Because if an I/O card dies, how long to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        The hassle is triggering I/O points, either by using lots of wires and switches, or in software. You can't simulate the entire system at your desk sometimes.
        But it saves so much time checking the mapping of HMI to PLC points, designing the HMI screens, MODBUS communications etc.

Another reason for the duplicate system in the office was for travel time and expenses. If you are constantly driving out to site to troubleshoot or make a program change, it gets expensive. It depends how far away your office is from the project. I charged my employer for gasoline, meals, hotel, airfare expenses.
        You can't always shut down a process to fart around, customers get pissed off.

We usually sold off that system hardware and bought a new system on later projects. So the (in the office) system is sort of like having an inventory of spares. Because if an I/O card dies, how long to replace it?
        You have a very good point about this
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I was thinking of going with an Arduino with ethernet of some sort and using that to mess around with my own SCADA on the bench. Sure there exist ready-made industrial stuff, but if I don't actually HAVE that gear, there's no way I can learn anything. Plus, this could be a very good learning exercise and I could even propose it as a solution to monitoring smaller and less critical stuff, like taking temperature readings out in the field somewhere.....which ALSO exists in pre-made form, but that's not the main idea here

The reason I'm thinking ethernet is because the ultimate goal of any such implementation is to remotely access it somehow...
          Wattevah...

Comment

Arduino PLC, price looks good: Automation Direct A rugged open-source CPU that mimics the MKRZero Arduino CPU $39, 8 DI $37, Ethernet shield $39 and you can add on Arduino shields.

Comment

look at the st nucleo-144 series boards.
              $25 gets you a 200MHz processor with 144pins, onboard usb programmer/debugger and onboard ethernet + usb-otg
              AND you program it with arduino studio
              https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32

Comment

Working...
              X