This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

You could , but peltiers are BRUTALLY inefficient ; my 60 watter cools a six pack nicely, but that's only abt 100 BTU or so.

Comment

Good day to all. Nice and cool forum we got here. I'm jhon vizco from the philippines.

Thanks ...

Comment

Elloes. I'm new here

My name's Bob

Comment

Hi to all, just joined the board. My name is Vickie and I own and operate a repair shop just north of Houston in The Woodlands. No I am not trying to generate business - have enough of that locally - I just thought that in the DIY community there might be interest in the scrap boards and such that we send to recyclers every week. Learning this industry can get to be expensive - so I thought I might be able to spread some knowledge around or at least some hardware to gain it on.

Been fixing hardware for 20 years now, started on XT's with 64k of ram. I can go all the way back to DOS 2.0! It has been a very interesting run....

Hope I can contribute to the forums and general knowledge base!

Vickie
          Lead me not into temptation - for I can find it Myself!

Comment

Hello all,

New member here. I found Badcaps.net & forums while doing some frantic "why has my computer gone insane" searches.

Some few search results hinted that it could be bad capacitors on my motherboard, and this site was invaluable in helping me confirm the problem. Many of mine look simply awful, bulging and vented, with dried brown residue having leaked out the tops.

Hurrah for adventure.

Hopefully I can find the right thread in which to ask my questions.
            (I need to know, if I request service, whether I send in my whole box, or just the board... this is a company machine and I am reluctant to disassemble.)

Comment

^
              Welcome aboard! FWIW, I was born and raised in Milwaukee!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                ^
                Welcome aboard! FWIW, I was born and raised in Milwaukee!
                Thanks! And I was born near Kansas City, not far from MO.

Comment

Hello!

I'm a new member also!

My name is Keri and I'm interested in how stuff works. After years of study, I've become familiar with basic principles of electricity, electronics, components, and the basic ideas of what goes on inside computers and electronic devices, if not the specifics.

I've been building my own computers for years. I got started because it was so much cheaper than buying one in the store, and progressed to building better and faster ones for my hobby of Video Editing.

Trodas at the abit forum made me aware of how widespread the BadCaps problem has become, and that lead to BadCaps.net.

So....
                  Here I am. Please bear with me as I continue learning about stuff in general.

Thanks a Million,
                  Keri

PS> Oops! I posted this under another area labeled " New Member Intro"
                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Hello folks,

First off let me say that I am completely amazed that a group like his exists and am very happy to have found this resource.

Some 30 years ago I took 2 years of electronics in High School with the intent of making the electronics field my career. Well, after a little stint in the Navy I ended up drifting into another profession that has provided a good living for me, but electronics was always something that I enjoyed. And building and perpetually upgrading higher end computers for personal use has provided me with a lot of entertainment and somewhat filled in just a bit of the gap for me.

I will admit I am a little rusty on the theory, but wandering around in this forum has brought quite a bit of it back already.

Anyhow, what started all of this was a widescreen LCD monitor that I have had for just not that long of a time that went bad on me. I have just gotten tired of this "throw-away" mentality/economy that we live in and decided I was going to look into fixing this one myself. Not having taken part in component level diagnostics and repair in over 3 decades well, lets just say my interest is renewed after finding all of you here. We never had electrolytics that were scored on the end to provide this "telltale" sign of degredation. So if we couldn't see one that was blown apart, we would cruise around a hot board with a can of "freeze spray" until we tagged the culprit. Imagine my surprise as I stumbled in here and started reading the info and looking at the pictures.

Great site, great info and I thank you all in advance for the info I will be getting here.
                    Poultry is just another word for chickens.

Comment

Hello all. It seems like my background and experience is similar to that of many of you. I started computing on the 6502 Atari and never stopped. Was a radio - tv repairman in a previous life, working with my father. Collect computer stuff and donate to college bound kids in the area who cannot afford to buy. I have a computer science degree but learned most of what I know by just doing it. Retired fire chief after 27 years.

I just joined today and did my first recap. Spent about $8.00 and have a new 19" Hanns-g monitor. Great work folks! Thanks for the good advice.
                      Why throw it away? I might need it in the next 40 years. Duh!

Comment

Hello forum members

New to this forum. Not highly trained in electronics. Just Ms. Tinkeress that will take the time and effort to repair and replace my own computer hardware if its possible for myself.

I have an HP vs19 lcd monitor that had a blank screen, which sat for several months and would not give up and throw it away, searched the internet and found how to repair, it has been almost a year now. Replaced the 3 bulging goopy capacitors and its worked great.

Found another lcd monitor on craigslist and it has green power light on used a flashlight and can see the logo and windows come on but its dark screen, so I'm hoping it will be another easy fix like my other hp lcd monitor was.

Am glad I found this forum.

Comment

Hi all,

I'm 19, and I've been interesting in electronics for a long long time (I would take apart my remote control cars when I was a kid). In high school I started building computers for me and my friends, and now I'm a computer engineering student at Michigan Tech.

After reading through a lot of the posts here, and learning about bad capacitors, I took apart a lot of the power supplies hanging out in my basement searching for some that were bad. I managed to find some bulging and leaking G-LUXON's in a an old L&C "Super Talent" power supply.

I've never personally had any capacitor issues (except the one I blew up during a class project because I hooked the battery up backwards), but now I'll know what to do should I ever have a problem, and I'll be able to do more preventative type stuff.

Thanks for all the interesting reads! And thanks in advance for all the help with electronics.

Eric

Comment

Hey,

I'm a 16 year old guy with a keen interest in computers and electronics. Ever since I was a kid, I took apart electronics and fiddled with circuit bending to see how everything worked.

Even today, I still have an interest in all kinds of geeky things, from circuit design to programming (Python and C#). I have developed/co-developed various applications including games for the Microsoft Zune. One time, in order to get quotes from a wholesale system-on-a-chip manufacturer, I had to pose as an engineer at a no-name computer company, interested in pricing estimates for a new product I was the head of developing (lol).

Now that I'm graduated from High School, I am taking a year off to intern at various high tech companies in the Seattle area, rather than going to college early. In a year I intend on pursuing a double major of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Washington.

I was brought to this forum via a post on repairing a Dell E151FPp LCD monitor. It turns out that the users on this forum were correct in assuming that the broken part was in fact a tiny blown fuse on the inverter board. I was able to confirm this malfunction with a multimeter, and was greatly thankful for the help I received, as I would have never figured out that issue on it's own.

All in all, I'm glad to be here and hopefully contribute to this community!

Comment

swartz here.

Been lurking on this forum for close to a year now. Found some great info. Finaly registered not that long ago.

In my spare time (which I get less and less of) I love to tinker with all things electronic. Its less dirty than cars, although I've swapped out waterpumps, thermostats, timing belts, starters, etc on a few trucks/cars.

Got a B.Sc. in computers. Not formally educated in electronics engineering, although always wanted to go back to school for that. However I've picked up a number of useful bits of knowledge through years of tinkering with electronics. I used to run my own computer repair business (upgrades, virus/spyware removal, network installs, webserver configs, you-name-it I did it all) but lost interest and closed up shop. But I still fix an occasional computer for friends and family mostly.

Now I do webapp development for a living. Besides computers I love fishing, camping, skiing.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Comment

oh dear

i never introduced myself 7 months ago

better late than never:

Name: Larry Bolan
                                West Lafayette, IN, USA
                                Job: fixing computers
                                Favorite OS: linux, preferably debian based, mainly Ubuntu
                                pet peeves: bad caps mixed with really good ones, rdram, bloatware
                                Pets: 17 pet rats

i originally got my start in computers in 2005 when i was in 7th grade. my dad gave me a vbox tower and a HP vectra, which we merged into a working machine with win 98. in may 2006, i received a compaq presario 5000 from a teacher, and i soon learned advanced windows administration and how to build computers

in january of 2008, i learned how to solder through my high school's robotics team (frc 1747)
                                in may of 2008, i learned about ubuntu linux and since then, i have learned how to compile packages, use the terminal, and manipulate system files. in november 2008, i leaned about bad caps and this site. i recapped 2 boards, one had a dead northbrige and was overkill, the other ran fine until i recapped the rest of it, which died when i slipped with the iron and split a trace. since then i have acquired computers from friends and rescued then from bloated power supplies (one even was charred on the inside )

thanks to all who have made this forum a fun, inviting place for help with anything computer and capacitor related
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

As the user name suggests, my name is Dean.

I live in Victoria, Australia. I've been into electronics since I took up an electronics class when I was 13 but let it slip away in my early 20's.

I have a big interest in PC's and are currently undertaking a heap of projects to recap dead/faulty mobo's, PSU's and LCD's for something to do and build some reliable systems.

Currently studying to be a Nurse.

I love this forum, it has given me the urge to rediscover electronics.
                                  Last edited by Deano; 06-26-2009, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Hi all. My name is mitch. Ummm i'm a musician/nerd my friends call me. Picked up music when i was for. Got a little distracted at the age of 9 when mom bought me my first PC. It was running on windows workgroup. I tinkerd and tinkerd and fell in love with electronics period. Spent 2 years giving up playing music and lerning the in and outs of computers and how they ran. Loved it. Never realy got into the circrity much. And ummm gues i didn't learn much in spelling either...lol. But anyway 2 years and i went back to playing music kept building computers for friends. Fixing computers for friends...not making any money but realy enjoyed it. Well i'm 28 going on 29 and realy have gotten into more of the boards and how they work and it componants. Just got my HVAC certs and doing some A/C work on the side now.

Had this monitor that i still have open. And i have a couple mother boards that people gave to me cause they said they quit working. So i'm going to use them as a solder practice but would eventualy like to fix this LCD. I've learned alot over the past couple days just reading messeges on here. And all the post...wow such knowlaged people. Well anyway thats my short story about myself. Never realy took any collage but i would realy loved to start a career in computers and electronics. Music isn't going to pay the bills. lol But i'm sure i have a long long road ahead. Nice to meet you all...see you in the forums
                                    Last edited by Mitch; 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Hi my name is Barret. I am 26 03/03/1983 My first computer i had was a really OLD!!! Pentium. Lol not the new one the one before P2 it wasnt new that was in 03 or 04.
                                      Then eventuly got my Pentium 4 i use now in which the motherboard that was in it i just sent off to Topcat for repair services.
                                      My Computer.
                                      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Hi everybody,

Just joined and wanted to say hello. Hello.

Regards. Ron.
                                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

first let me say hi rhomanski and welcome to the board..

Next.. I guess i should introduce myself too.. Never realized this thread was here till now.. guess it is because most of the please read first threads are all usually dont do this and dont do that common sense things and get tired of reading the same thing over and over.. so with no more interruptions..

Hi My name is shaun.. 32.. like everyone else here like to take things apart, figure things out, blah blah etc etc.. i know.. im late.. been here for a couple weeks now.. for everyone that has not figured it out yet, i have a big mouth.. thought i was dang sexy until i realized that ugly dude in the mirror was me.. now just wondering how the heck i ever made it this far.. Fix computers for people, learned a little.. or maybe a lot at times.. of just about everything from cars to house repair to concrete work to computers.. well you get the idea.. all in all , just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the help up till now and will do what i can to either annoy or help you.. we will see which happens more later.. in any case.. thanks all and hi

Comment

Working...
                                          X