TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 revival

Thanks guys, I listened to your advice and bought today couple of new caps 470u 25v, brand Aishi..never heard of them..
    I will update on situation when I put them in..

Regarding touching stuff on power supply I have special technique for this, with my front side of finger I'm touching elements so quickly that if it was 220 on surface I would sense it in milliseconds so it's kinda safe, but yes, caution should always be taken when doing this.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414

Although i would also add Elna to that (very) short list.
      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Good and bad news..
        When I changed those two caps and turned ON device, it boots up correctly with connection to the PC, steady 3.2v on IC46... great..
        than I connected first pair of speakers on line out 5/6, and listened to music 20min without a problem.. I thought that's it, I fixed it.. BUT..

Than I started turning it OFF and ON, with speakers connected on 5th and 6th audio line to make myself sure everything is ok... first time.. good...second time it boots up, but shortly after that loses fw connection, and third time no more booting on led screen, 2.5v again..

Last check, voltage has dropped down to 1.1v, C489 very hot again, obviously something killing those caps or I just need pair of quality ones like Rubycon or Elna like Khron suggested?!

Comment

Well, long story short, YES. Keep in mind, pretty much ALL the digital chips on the mainboard are supplied from that 3.3v rail (and the 1.8v for the cores is derived from that), so there's quite a serious load on it.

Aishi's one of the "crap cap" brands, and i'm 98% sure that whatever you got from the store was NOT one of their low-ESR series, so... Yeah - high load = high current-ripple => caps heat up according to their ESR (P=I^2*R, remember?).
          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

I'm afraid you're right, this caps are real shit, and what's worse, in my whole country there are no store with rubycon and elna caps, at least on web... I found only ONE that have elna but with 63v...

I found them only on eBay, mostly sellers from China, which I suppose are all fake.. and I don't want to wait 20 days to found out if they cheated me or not...
            maybe this one, what do you say? http://goo.gl/3WegC6

Comment

I can recommend this seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/PC-MotherBoar...s-Store?_rdc=1

I've seen him recommended a few years ago on this forum, and i've ordered a couple times from him myself. As a "bonus", even though he's based in the far east, and the shipping's free, it only took something between one and two weeks

Comment

Thanks a lot Khron, I bookmarked him. Order placed.... waiting for it to arrive now...

Comment

Elna caps (470u 10v) have arrived.. but it's the same problem again, 1.2v instead 3.3 and no activity on led screen...
                  Both elna caps are hot but C489 much hotter... voltage on IC46, pin 1 (1.2v), pin2 (1.2v), pin4 (4.3v).. something is pulling voltage on 3.3 rail independently from C489 and C488.

Comment

What series are those Elna caps?

Comment

RE2 series... I've tested also those two schottky diodes SS24 with one leg up, in one direction 0.147, in other nothing, so they're probably ok...

Comment

RE2 = 85C general-purpose series - "of course" they're gonna get hot, their ESR is relatively huge :/

You'll want some low-ESR series there, and Elna aren't your only option there Did you get those RE2 from egekecu (ebay), or..?

Comment

I've bought them from some french guy, cause I wanted them sooner... at the same time I've also ordered caps from egekecu to be sure but they didn't arrive yet... I hope it will be soon..
                          2pcs of Rubycon YXF series and 6pcs Rubycon MBZ series.. both are Low-ESR..

Comment

The YXF should be just fine; MBZ might be a bit "too" low-ESR for this use.

At least when i ordered from him, the delivery took i think under two weeks - i remember being pretty shocked about how fast it was, considering it was free shipping, AND from the far east

Comment

Thanks for the info Khron.., when they arrive, YXF will be first on test... But, I'm not so assured that these two caps are only problem...
                              Last time when I tested device with Aishi caps, voltage has dropped to 1.2v (I had steady 2.6v before that), maybe cause I accidentally short pin1 and 2 on IC46 while testing or maybe due to something else.
                              Anyway, I hope egekecu caps would show some improvement on current situation.

Comment

Well, at least with those installed, you'll have one less "unknown" variable to worry / wonder about

Comment

Egekecu caps have arrived and YXF are on test first... everything stayed the same, voltage 1.2v.. but c489 not so hot like other. I will try to change Elite caps in this circuit C534 C533 with MBZ series, they are only thing left suspicious to me..

Comment

If possible, you could try removing L68 (right before C534), to see if the 1.8v rail is dragging down the 3.3v or not.

But with or without that, set your multimeter to diode test, red probe on ground, and black probe on 3.3v and maybe on 1.8v, you should get a reading in mV.

Comment

On +3V3 (TP672) it shows OL, on +1V8 (TP708) it shows around 200mv... does it mean that something's wrong closer to TR5?
                                      I will try to remove L68 now and see what happens...

Comment

So red probe on ground & black probe on TP672, reads OL?

Comment

Yes, I've measured that on C488 +pin when device was ON, when OFF it's 76mV..

Comment

Working...
                                          X