No announcement yet.

How much do you hate your smartphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much do you hate your smartphone?

Originally posted by stj View Post
    i dont buy phones, i get ones for free that others have bricked.
    Linux and the commandline can rescue just about any android phone that windows has bricked.

btw, the chinese XAIOMI fones are really good, i would take one over a samsung any day.
    Sounds like a good system you got going there. The only free phones I have got are ones that look like someone took a 10lb sledge hammer to them.

I've always been scared of the Chinese phones.

Originally posted by televizora View Post
    If your Samsung phone is crashing or you have any software issues, you may try to reflash it with Samsung KIES. Just backup your personal data prior to this.
    Just did this and got all my data loaded back on. It seemed to be working great and then did it again.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    still on my note3. it does everything I need. I am not a phone junkie. It talks, its texts, and is a decent point & shoot camera (I still use my dSLR for detailed stuff).
    This is pretty much all I use a cell phone for. It ticks me off when I see people that use their phone 24/7 (and have to recharge it 12 times a day because they use it so much) have absolutely no issues with them and then the phones that I have die even with light usage.
    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Comment

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
      I've always been scared of the Chinese phones.
      why?
      build quality, or spyware?

all phones have spyware, just choose if it phones home to the u.s. china or korea.
      then re-flash it to put an end to it.

hardware wise, they vary.
      if you buy a smartfone for $30 it's going to have good electronics but the casing probably needs to be looked after.

he xaomi fones are not $30 fones, they are i-phone killers!

Comment

What smartphone? The best "phone" I've ever used is my PC. Not only that, I don't have to pay shitloads for a few measly gigabytes of data either (if not megabytes instead). Why are people so stupid to believe that phones are the be-all-end-all of computing?

Comment

why?
          build quality, or spyware?

all phones have spyware, just choose if it phones home to the u.s. china or korea.
          then re-flash it to put an end to it.

hardware wise, they vary.
          if you buy a smartfone for $30 it's going to have good electronics but the casing probably needs to be looked after.

he xaomi fones are not $30 fones, they are i-phone killers!
          Oh no I'm not worried about the spyware. In today's world I just operate with the mindset that if it is connected to the internet it has no privacy. The thing that worries me is the cheap build quality and that many items are knockoffs sold as originals.

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
          What smartphone? The best "phone" I've ever used is my PC. Not only that, I don't have to pay shitloads for a few measly gigabytes of data either (if not megabytes instead). Why are people so stupid to believe that phones are the be-all-end-all of computing?
          I don't think that a smartphone is the "be-all-end-all" of computing. Like I said before I need to be able to recieve calls and texts wherever I am and it is handy to be able to look something up on the web quick or snap a picture. Otherwise I agree with you. Way too many people try to use their phone as a replacement for a computer but I am not one of those people.
          canadaboy25

Comment

this is the fone to die for in china!!!
            dont ask me how they get the money for one, but they previously had an obsession with i-crap so they must get it somewhere!
            http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-MI...p-1099278.html

Comment

this is the fone to die for in china!!!
              dont ask me how they get the money for one, but they previously had an obsession with i-crap so they must get it somewhere!
              http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-MI...p-1099278.html
              That is crazy! It has nearly as much ram as my old PC That sure is a load of money. Looks pretty sleek tho.
              canadaboy25

Comment

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
                Oh no I'm not worried about the spyware. In today's world I just operate with the mindset that if it is connected to the internet it has no privacy.
                Fight the system, don't accept it as a fact of life

<- still using a 256MB RAM phone with broken earphone despite having a fully working 4GB RAM phone...that runs android...

Comment

I have owned only two so far :

Xperia X10i from april 2011 to christmas 2015 :
                  - it was fine in the beginning, but quickly became very slow, 256Mb of RAM was not enough.
                  - it died suddenly after a few months so I got a new one on warranty, it went on without major issue until it became nearly impossible to use
                  - it was a good design, easy to disassemble and maintain. I replaced the shell once after I broke the touch screen, then I got some issues with the top part of the touch screen, easily solved by cleaning the contacts to the motherboard.
                  - I dropped it into a bucket of water once, it survived but the phone speaker suffered.
                  - overall, outside of it slowness, it was a good phone.

Xperia Z5 (since christmas 2015)
                  - flawless experience, I really have nothing bad to say about it. Its very responsive, even with many apps running at the same time, well built, beautiful screen.
                  It crashed maybe twice in a year.
                  The main issue is the difficulty to replace the battery. I had to replace it on the X10i.

I would recommend to not go cheap on smartphones and be very careful when choosing one : look at the specs, reviews, etc...

Comment

no hate at all.
                    note 3 rooted and all unnecessary crapware removed.fat hosts file.
                    gps off unless needed for functionality i need at that time only.
                    its a tool not some companies advertising system or tracking beacon!
                    note 4 done the same as a shop phone.
                    galaxy tab 10 rooted,decrapified,stripped,hosts file and used as the shop POS and email.
                    remember these things are not really yours untill you take ownership of them and strip them.and some of the shitware(facebook,my magazine,flipboard,ect)is deeply integrated in the os.so much so that one has to replace system files after stripping the unit to get things back like screen rotation,ect.

Comment

Huawei P9

end.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        Fight the system, don't accept it as a fact of life

<- still using a 256MB RAM phone with broken earphone despite having a fully working 4GB RAM phone...that runs android...
                        I accept it because I don't have anything that I need to keep private and also I don't know how to change it.

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                        I have owned only two so far :

Xperia X10i from april 2011 to christmas 2015 :
                        - it was fine in the beginning, but quickly became very slow, 256Mb of RAM was not enough.
                        - it died suddenly after a few months so I got a new one on warranty, it went on without major issue until it became nearly impossible to use
                        - it was a good design, easy to disassemble and maintain. I replaced the shell once after I broke the touch screen, then I got some issues with the top part of the touch screen, easily solved by cleaning the contacts to the motherboard.
                        - I dropped it into a bucket of water once, it survived but the phone speaker suffered.
                        - overall, outside of it slowness, it was a good phone.

Xperia Z5 (since christmas 2015)
                        - flawless experience, I really have nothing bad to say about it. Its very responsive, even with many apps running at the same time, well built, beautiful screen.
                        It crashed maybe twice in a year.
                        The main issue is the difficulty to replace the battery. I had to replace it on the X10i.

I would recommend to not go cheap on smartphones and be very careful when choosing one : look at the specs, reviews, etc...
                        I was looking at a Sony Xperia Z5 a while ago but I don't really have 800 dollars to shell out for a smartphone. It does look like a really nice phone and I have heard a lot of good things about it. I was looking at used ones with broken screens on ebay but was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the carrier unlocked so I would be able to use it.

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        no hate at all.
                        note 3 rooted and all unnecessary crapware removed.fat hosts file.
                        gps off unless needed for functionality i need at that time only.
                        its a tool not some companies advertising system or tracking beacon!
                        note 4 done the same as a shop phone.
                        galaxy tab 10 rooted,decrapified,stripped,hosts file and used as the shop POS and email.
                        remember these things are not really yours untill you take ownership of them and strip them.and some of the shitware(facebook,my magazine,flipboard,ect)is deeply integrated in the os.so much so that one has to replace system files after stripping the unit to get things back like screen rotation,ect.
                        My galaxy has been rooted and I have used titanium backup to freeze a bunch of the bloatware because I was worried I'd cause issues of I completely deleted it. I don't have anywhere close to enough knowledge about smartphone architecture to be able to properly edit OS files in order to delete crap. My skill level when it comes to smartphones is basically to follow the flashing guides and pray it works.
                        canadaboy25

Comment

The thing that I want is to be able to hack the OS and ... have Google/Apple not know about it... HA.

I hate the fact that you can't do fine tuned gps on/off - seems like it's global on/off regardless of whether it "seems" to block GPS, etc. I don't trust it...at all...

The 256MB phone I do trust, mostly... alas it's dying... Earphone is broken, GPS doesn't always work anymore

Comment

if you use a custom rom, all the google crap (GAPPS) has to be installed seperately
                            (or not!)

Comment

I do hate my smartphone, but it's less to do with the actual phone and more to do with the fact that I had to "downgrade". I had a Samsung S6 edge which I then lost and have now had to revert to an S4 mini. I'm a fan of Samsung smartphones in general, and have always preferred them to iPhone or anything else on the market, but this one seems to have very little memory and is so...small. I will be looking to get an S7 next.

Comment

didnt they just cancel the S7 ???

Comment

I like my Samsung Galaxy S5, but it was expensive. My last phone was an LG, it was made exclusive
                                  Last edited by Hondaman; 01-03-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

a lot of samsung fones in the u.s. are poor - i would almost call them "fake".
                                    they have weaker cpu and less memory than the same model in the rest of the world!!!!

if you have a samsung, look up the model number in the o.s.
                                    it usually begins with "i" or "GT-N" and then 4digits.

go look up the spec here:
                                    https://forum.xda-developers.com/?query=samsung

Comment

It was the S7 Note they recalled.

The Samsung Minis were always lesser powered and specced than their full sized brothers.

Comment

Just googled this, looks like the galaxy s7 edge+ was cancelled too.
                                        Last edited by Barnard; 01-04-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I have Huawei G620S... I have broken the touch...then the display... then touchscreen and display together.

I have repaired it 3 times and now it is my spare smartphone because I bought Huawei P8 Lite.

Before I had a Samsung Advance... it was slow and had problem with GPS signal.

What I like very much with Huawei is that they have good antenna, I can phone or use them even when I'm in my cellar while with Samsung I lost signal before reaching cellar.

Both G620S and P8 Lite works well, the photo are not so good.

Gianni
                                          "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                          H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
                                          X