This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hey everyone I'm Z. i've got training in communications mostly. to be honest, i'm still a young guy. i usually feel like i know more than i can actually apply, and it drives me crazy. i'm up for some training in new fields and i'm looking for some new sources of information everywhere i can get it. I maybe late in threads as i'm coming into new projects and learning things as i go. Its hard to ask the questions you haven't found as it were. please excuse the grammar, numbers are my strong suite... ...

Comment

I had read some threads in this forum earlier this year as a guest, and my goal was to repair my flickering Samsung 226BW LCD monitor. In July I moved from Tennessee to North Carolina and the problem has progressively gotten worse since the move (as it usually does with bad caps). I decided to sign up for the forum and now I am using an old CRT monitor as I get ready to open up the case of the LCD. Signing up gives you access to diagrams pictures that people post, so I have recently been reading more about my LCD and looking at all of these wonderful visual aids.

I am a physicist with a master's degree, and I moved here to return to graduate school and finish my Ph.D. after being laid off from my previous job after 5 years. The difference in pay between my previous job and my graduate teaching assistant pay is about a 50% decrease. I probably would have just bought a new monitor if it was not for these circumstances, but now I am ready to dive in and try to do it myself.

As my repair job progresses, I will definitely post to the forum for my monitor.

TUH/fizix

Comment

Hello all, another new convert to recapping a trusted and favourite motherboard! although I have not yet carried out this remedial work, I am gleaning very useful information from varius posts in order to make a start.

I have an MSI K8N Neo4 socket 939 board that has up to now performed well,I have identified four domed capacitors to replace. But the more I read on here it seems better policy to replace most of the caps!
        Thanks for all of the info contained within, a mine of information indeed!

-Pickard-

Comment

Howdy folks, I just turned 60, and have been in electronics since my first job as apprentice in a tv repair shop at age 16. After a tour in the Army and a few years just bumming around on an old '48 Harley Panhead, I started working on puters in late 70's maintaining an old TI960-based circuit board tester, then worked for Texas Instruments and General Radio as a field service engineer. Troubleshooting was done with "fatfinger" programs written in machine code and loaded through the front panel with toggle switches in hexadecimal or octal words. Worked in service arena until a liver transplant and heart problems retired me. I still tinker and have recently inherited some troubled LCD flat monitors. I stumbled onto this site looking for info, and was just bowled over by the people. Looks like a really great forum to be involved with. I have some sick motherboards I may try recapping now that I've found you guys.

Comment

Hello Badcaps forum Members!

Just joined today while searching the web for answers about a Vizio VX42L that I aquired (non-working of course) for free. I'm the operations manager for a fire alarm/security/cctv/access control company. We cater to commercial accounts colleges, hospitals, school districts, you get the picture.
            I play guitar for relaxation, have a love of old muscle cars and wrenching presently enjoying a 74' Vette Coupe.
            I would enjoy helping anybody out with the things I know about, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you through discussions in these forum posts.

Thanks!
            Rick

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo0ne View Post
              ...enjoying a 74' Vette Coupe...
              I'd sure like to see some pics of that, feel free to post some.

<-- is also a car guy.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

This site is pretty cool. I found it this morning while looking for information on caps because my 8600GT vid card died on me yesterday and has 5 dead caps. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two and eventually get those caps replaced

Comment

Hello everyone!
                  I found this forum while I was googling for help to repair my lcd screen power supply.
                  Hopefully I'll learn something from the Pro's

Greetings from Portugal

D.

Comment

Hi,
                    I was googling for esr schematics this morning and found this great forum.
                    It has lot of info that useful to me as a newbie in electronic stuff repairing.

thumbs up!

Comment

Hi !
                      I'm Uwe from Germany. Try to fix 3 Samsung 940N monitor. 2 of them have defective
                      CCFT transformers ( open secondary winding) . I already got some hints
                      from this great forum.
                      thumbs up , too !

Comment

Hi everyone!
                        I was looking for a replacement cap and found this forum. Looks nice and friendly, think I'll poke around a little and see what I can find.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Hello all:
                          I live in Northern Ontario Canada. The first computer system I was introduced to was in the 70's in high school. An IBM 1130 or something like it. It was the size of a desk, and had the power of a calculator. I learned Fortran IV and then just progressed from there. I graduated from an Electronics Engineering Technology program, and went to work as a Radio Regulations Inspector for what was then the Canadian Department of Communications. I rarely do electronics repair work, but stumbled upon your forum after being handed a monitor by one of my clients to repair. Great information on this site! Good work!

Comment

Hello,

What a welcome site for a person of my electronic skills to find such a inforative site as this one,

Wow

Comment

Hello all, I've been a bench tech for 50 years and STILL learning. My work[yes, darnit, I can't afford to retire!] is in CCTV and audio intercoms. I also taught basic electronics part time at our local community college. "nuff" for now.

Comment

Hi all

Im a Norwegian guy that has a passion for Laserdisc, namely getting Star wars off the big shiny discs in the best possible quality. On the team is a heavily modified Sony C2ex and a Runco Vfc-4404, i came here to show what im doing and hopefully get some advice that might lead to better performance from my gear. Here is some pictures/info:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tweaks&m=171972

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/top...d/topic/10602/

Comment

Forgot to add my name/location
                                  Wally
                                  Eureka, CA

Comment

Hey all!

I was born in Seattle, WA and raised in Detroit, MI. Known as Ami Sapphire and CW Cyrix on the Internet. I first used a computer in 1992, became interested in computers in 1994, and have worked on computers on my own free time since 2004. Worked on my home network in 2004 as well, although that expanded a bit in 2005. My soldering skills are not that great, however, I have never ruined any electronic device by doing so... yet. I only picked up soldering because Dad was doing so in the '80s and '90s. So all those skills are self-taught.

I originally was reading a post in a thread on another forum about blown capacitors on a graphics card, then I searched on Google and found this site. Learned something new about motherboards and bad capacitors. Fixed a motherboard, thanks to this site.
                                    Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                                    I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Greetings,

Currently the Quality guy at an electronics manufacturing outfit in SW Mo, love to tinker, but have a bad habit of trying to do jobs with wrong or inadequate tools! My first foray into the DIY electronics repair was replacing some parts on the power supply in my RCA 50" projection TV, $25 saved me about a grand in replacement cost! Now eyeballing a pair of LCD monitors that I have gathering dust in my closet!

I get so tired of built-in obsolescence, and am willing to attempt to fix anything, car, house, PC, etc. Will look forward to probing the forum for info. Thanks!

Comment

^
                                        SW MO? You in the springfield or joplin area?
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Hello All,

As someone who likes to do their own repairs, finding this site was a blessing.
                                          I'm a retired Machine Repairman (machine tools).
                                          My main hobby is Folding@home, and keeping the hardware in running order follows along with that.
                                          As a die-hard do-it-yourselfer, I find there are many things to learn.

Thanks for having such a nice site.

Comment

Working...
                                          X