This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, I'm a computer tech. I want to thank Badcaps for providing this forum. I have spent many hours over the years lurking here. Much of my education regarding the faulty capacitor issues plaguing the industry was gained here. Thank you!

Comment

Hi I am curt1 I just joined this forum I was playing around with a monitor that don't work, and while looking up what might wrong I came accross this site. Already I can see much Info that I can use thanks to all that have gone through the time to post these Info. Thank you Curt1f

Comment

Welcome aboard all of you!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

My name is David and Im a musician and a computer geek with a recording hobby that has grown a little too much :-) I make almost no money on recordings as it is primarily my own music I am recording but I have bought a LOOOOT of gear and some times some of it break down. It is expensive to have professionals repairing studio equipment so I started long time ago to educate my self and collect schematics to make it easier. Im not a big genious in electronics but I found a formula that seems to work. Start in one end (input) of the machine and go (test) step by step to the output. Very systematic. Ok sometimes I have a hunch in advance and sometimes things looke like something Ive seen before. But I love the feeling of success when powering the unit up after repairing it (and see the thick black smoke comming out of it!!!)

Im also a psychotherapist and a leadershipcoach so I do a lot of talking with my dead motherboards and preamps trying to talk some sense and willpower into them :-)
          www.MicroSonic.dk • www.AudioSchematics.dk

Comment

Originally posted by davidfonsbo View Post
            Im also a psychotherapist and a leadershipcoach so I do a lot of talking with my dead motherboards and preamps trying to talk some sense and willpower into them :-)
            probably nicer words than i have used towards my faultry stuff...

Originally posted by ratdude having a bad day
            POST you stupid mother****er! i just paid primo for those new ***ing parts! stupid piece of ****! GRRRRRRR!
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              probably nicer words than i have used towards my faultry stuff...
              Ha ha! Know what you mean. I must admit that some of my talking to the gear (my computer and Windows in particular) is in Capital letters and maybe even in BOLD!
              www.MicroSonic.dk • www.AudioSchematics.dk

Comment

Hello everyone!

I accidently found this form while searching for some info on Suntan low ESR caps.

I've been interested in electronics since before the 9th grade. At least that is the time I discovered they had a radio class after school. Only problem was that I didn't have any transportation so I got to attend just one meeting.

Anyway, I got drafted back in 1971 and chose to join the USAF and asked to be put into electronics. I ended up getting into the Hound Dog missle program as a missile mechanic.

I've also been interested (to put it mildly) in audio systems for many years after hearing my first stereo back in the 60's.

I also build computers but have tapered off doing that in the last few years.

Comment

Hi

I ran accross this site while looking for information on finding some caps for a dead motherboard a while back, and have recently joined since looking to repair a monitor.

I have been in the computer industry for 20 plus years, but I don't usually do component level repair. Sometimes it's fun for a change of pace, at least with the fairly simple stuff.

This site has a lot of great information, Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

I have been fixing all types of electronic equipment for over 30 years the last 26 as a Broadcast Maintenance Engineer. Its always nice to have a place to bounce ideas off others to help narrow down problems.

I found an older posting for a ViewSonic VG920 LCD monitor trouble that really Helped!!

Thank YOU!!!!!

Comment

Hi - I stumbled upon the forum while trying to figure out what went wrong with my video card ... can definitely say I was impressed with the information here. I'm a civil engineer, but have been messing with computers since I built my first PC back in the mid 80's. Never did a recapping job though.

I think I'll be doing one soon! Thanks!

Comment

Found this site due to issues with a Samsung 245B LCD monitor. The power supply board had some obvious blown caps that I replaced. Due to a thread regarding this particular monitor I have a lot more information to go on.

Comment

My name is Ron and I have a Soltek SL-75DRV5 mother board with oozing caps.I plan to send it in soon.Is there anything special I need to do?

Comment

Hey everyone!
                            Just to let everyone know, i havent ever soldered anythimg. Well i did once but i dont really think i want to explain it. (needless to say it broke in a day and almost burned my house down).
                            I am obsessed with building/fixing computers.
                            I like windows (7 is my favorite, xp 2nd fave), cant stand linux or mac os x.
                            My first computer was an imac g4 1ghz (i know) but i ditched apple and dove into pcland when i decided iwanted to get out of the confines of proprieatary apple junk...
                            I ended up here because (uhoh i forget how).
                            The end

Tldr i luv pcs

Ps: im 15 and live in san rafael calofprnia usa

Comment

Originally posted by bundy300 View Post
                              My name is Ron and I have a Soltek SL-75DRV5 mother board with oozing caps.I plan to send it in soon.Is there anything special I need to do?
                              https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=15

^
                              Just fill that out and I'll get you taken care of.

Welcome to the site!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

My name is hopalong and as you know im new here.I have been looking around the site and theres a lot of good info.I have a degree in electronics and love to learn new tricks and techniques.I recently started working on lcd monitors and tvs,and thats what brings me here.Thank you for your hospitality.

Comment

Greetings from Brisbane Australia.
                                  I have been a Radio and Tv tech on and off for 25 years.
                                  I know most of the old stuff but i'm out of touch with the new.
                                  i hope that i may be of some help to the other members here.

Comment

Hi,

I joined a while ago. I just discovered this thread. I am at university studying finance (minors in Russian & Spanish). I started out as a computer science major. I changed my mind after doing an internship with MCI Worldcom. I just could not do that for the rest of my life.

I am interested in badcaps.net since I play with computers & electronics. All of my friends and family come to me for all servicing & repairs. I am a software man (ADA, C++, PHP, JAVA, & HTML), but I have been known to "Forrest-Gump" my way through hardware problems. I would be proud to become a contributing member on this site. I may have to settle for "just not making an a** of myself."

I mostly play with (in no particular order) Windows XP, Windows XP Embedded, Windows 7, Window 98 Lite, Mac OSX 10.5, Mac OSX 10.6, Tiny Core Linux, Damn Small Linux, PuppyOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Suse Linux Enterprise, and Slackware.

I'm off to search threads & research!

Comment

"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump!" Welcome to all of you new people. What fun is life if you can't put your foot in your mouth or make and ass of your self now and then? As the "Village Idiot" this is my normal mode of operation around here...LOL
                                      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                      Rod Serling

Comment

First off, let me take this opportunity to thanks Topcat. This site is exactly what I was looking for under the circumstances and magnitude of this cap-disaster.

I live in Dallas, Texas, I am on my late 30's and studying Electric Engineering for a change. It was matter of time to take my geek level to this stage and I am proud of doing it after all this years. Alternative energy is my field of interest, but electronics in general is my scope at this moment. I also have a home recording studio and guess who have a lot of repair to do?.

I knew all this cap problems years ago related to computers (Dell most than all), but I never had a clue that this problem was affecting the whole electronic industry with all values of caps. I never had problems with computers because I am a Mac user, and so far non of the Macs that I bought had bad caps*, but I am checking constantly just in case... you never know.
                                        *Actually had several batteries for my MacBook Pro bulging, but that's a different story.

Right now I am repairing almost all my own Post-2003's electronics. I'll post technical data on detail on this forum and believe me that I have a lot of work to be done here.

So far, my personal list of electronics with knowingly bad caps goes like this:

Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX_PRO (16 ch Mixer)
                                        M-Audio BX5-a Powered Monitors
                                        Behringer Tube Ultragain
                                        Behringer Ultra Curve Pro
                                        RCA 42" LCD

I won't list my "suspected" items because I don't want to flag things until is confirmed, but as soon they are confirmed I'll make the report and post the repairs.

I've done repairs of half of my list and I promise the posts.
                                        My assumptions is that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and the same was told 5 years ago, but the range of consumer electronics is bigger than I ever thought.

Let me finish saying something that I don't know if was discussed, but I am concern for the new caps. What is going to stop the chinese to re-encapsulate old caps inside aluminum enclosures and make them look like the new generation?... just a thought.

We really need this watchdog community and I personally thank Topcat again for this.

Cheers all.

Comment

Hey Folks, Hello to all, i am Jetfixxr, Jet for short, 46, Airline maintenance supervisor, i stumbled along this site looking for a fix for my 42" LCD 2 yrs old and no picture. Very nice site and informative. I like this. Once again hello to everybody...
                                          Jet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X