MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr 2GB with some blown up mosfets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr 2GB with some blown up mosfets

hello and thank you for checking this post, my friend had this graphics card was working just fine till a thunderstorm hit, got some mosfets blown up as shown in the pictures below.
    still trying to get the right name of these components so i can order them and try to replace them on hopes that it can be fixed (hopefully the GPU is still intact)
    if anyone here has the schematics for this exact card please feel free to send me the file or if you ever had a similar issue i would love it if you can provide some feedback (i am not a professional repairman, just trying to my best to salvage this one)
    is there some other points that needs to be checked? or simply replacing the blown up ICs would solve the issue?
    thank you for your time

pictures:

Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-22-2022, 02:23 PM.

Re: MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr 2GB with some blown up mosfets

Post a better picture of the front.

Rear: almost certain that one is BIOS (my bet is the one on the right), the other one is responsible for 1.8V

Comment

Originally posted by didi79 View Post
      Post a better picture of the front.

Rear: almost certain that one is BIOS (my bet is the one on the right), the other one is responsible for 1.8V
      sadly the one from the front fell apart while removing it, here is a close up

the one in the front just broke apart as shown in the pictures, hope these can be helpful.
      https://i.imgur.com/81F865o.jpg
      https://i.imgur.com/NRUJTLt.jpg
      please let me know if you require more close up shots.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-22-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

another image hosting site in case the imgur ones didn't work

Attached Files
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-22-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

5V LDO 95% sure since 3.3V comes from PCIE slot.

So I was wrong about BIOS chip. The other chips are LDOs as well.

Since all your power IC's are destroyed from power surge, chances are quite high the GPU is fried.

Comment

Originally posted by DarksiderX View Post
            another image hosting site in case the imgur ones didn't work
            You can post your images here on badcaps
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
              You can post your images here on badcaps
              i sm sorry i am new here, is there a way to upload them directly here on the forum?

Comment

i sm sorry i am new here, is there a way to upload them directly here on the forum?
                Yes https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by didi79 View Post
                  5V LDO 95% sure since 3.3V comes from PCIE slot.

So I was wrong about BIOS chip. The other chips are LDOs as well.

Since all your power IC's are destroyed from power surge, chances are quite high the GPU is fried.
                  i am struggling with finding the exact replacement for these ICs, maybe i should try replacing them and hope for the best "for science" lol
                  do i need the exact replacements as the original or an IC with the same specs can work just fine?

Comment

owh my bad, i didn't notice that button, will be using it in the future, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

i am struggling with finding the exact replacement for these ICs, maybe i should try replacing them and hope for the best "for science" lol
                      do i need the exact replacements as the original or an IC with the same specs can work just fine?
                      You should use the exact replacements, unless you know that there is a 100% pin for pin fully compatible part

Before ordering any parts you can check if there`s a short after desoldering each IC. If the 1.8V rail is short the GPU is most likely dead
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-22-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                        You should use the exact replacements, unless you know that there is a 100% pin for pin fully compatible part

Before ordering any parts you can check if there`s a short after desoldering each IC. If the 1.8V rail is short the GPU is most likely dead
                        thanks for the reply, any idea where i can find the exact replacements? finding the schematics for this card proved to be so hard. and not sure if anyone has the same exact one and willing to help provide the exact names for them.
                        thanks again

Comment

for anyone interested in this topic, the IC on the front is the APL1117 CP94F
                          the ones in the back can differ from one revision to the other, the ones on this card are uP0104s PGP38AF. other MSI cards can have uP0104s PGP38G as well.
                          thanks for everyone who tried to help.

Comment

Working...
                          X