Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2709w No power

Originally posted by Thomas W. View Post
    Nice Thread... an it isn't dead, it's still alive.
    Today I got three of these Monitors today for 0€, all marked defect.

Two of them starts normal, one shows the "blue power led stuck" error.

I think, I will start with this monitor and do the lalexan method:

And best wishes to all of you fine people

regards
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas, did it work for you?

A couple years after the fix the monitor failed again with the same problem. I needed to take the monitor through the same procedure again, and it works now. This time I heated it to ~230degC (sensed on top and 210degC at the backside of the board).

Comment

Hi guys!

I too have a 2709W with the following symptoms: Some (1-5 varying) vertical colour lines on each side of the screen that would go away after some time (10-25 minutes). The colour was a bit off too (rather warm, redish, purpleish).

I have reflowed the main chip using a sandwich maker and a hot air station with an IR thermometer. I have used lots of flux (even Louis Rossmann would approve) and could see flux squishing out from under the chip when touched with tweezers, so I am pretty sure the reflow was successful. I have also replaced most of the electrolytic caps around the two chips. Most of them were measurably degraded with pretty bad ESR readings.

After this, the screen works, the color is back to normal, but some lines are still present SoftMCCS still shows no DDC/CI (yes it is enabled in the monitor menu), so the chip is obviously not working correctly...
      Maybe the chip is damaged permanently/internally? It does get warm but not crazy hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold007 View Post
        Hi guys!

I too have a 2709W with the following symptoms: Some (1-5 varying) vertical colour lines on each side of the screen that would go away after some time (10-25 minutes).
        This is a defect in the panel's tab bonds, there is no fix for it. Well known issue for this monitor.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          This is a defect in the panel's tab bonds, there is no fix for it. Well known issue for this monitor.
          Thank you for your reply! This is sad to hear, but then I guess there is nothing to do about that...
          This explains the lines on the screen, but DDC/CI not working seems a bit suspicious for me. I doubt it has anything to do with tab bonds making contact or not. But then who knows. I think I will just live with the lines and I don't use DDC/CI anyway At least now I know the electrolytics are good and the BGA should be fine for a few years at least.

Comment

hi. i have this monitor, i've replaced some caps but something happened to the schematic and its ruined, now i dont know where the caps go, cant find a schematic, ¿can anyone send me a picture showing what values are the caps from the main board please? thanks.

Comment

Hello all 2709W friends - or "2709W victims"??

Yes, an old thread, but still active (Oct 2023) - and very informative, thank you all!

My 2709W worked well for more than 12 years (very good, I still like it!!), but had troubles recently, to the point of a "no image" failure. Being a rather occasional DIY electronics repair person, I read this thread and others and started disassembling the 2709W, removed dust and tested a few things.

-> Unfortunately I must have caused a short somewhere because suddenly smoke was rising and the component Q603 on the main board (a MOSFET?) was dead, see picture below.

A web search for "A1PV", half leggible on the damaged Q603, unfortunately did not come up with any relevant information.

Questions:
              • Does anyone know which component (exactly) Q603 is?
                I guess it's a transistor or voltage regulator. The "D" in the corner (red arrow) could mean "drain". Dimensions are 2.9 x 1.6 mm (SOT23 or SOT23-3).
              • Which voltage should I get at the solder point to which the yellow arrow points in the picture below (on a healthy board)?
              • Resistor R661 (marked "104" -> 100 kOhm) seems to have gotten some heat too. Better to replace it as well?
              Thank you very much for any help!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Q603dead.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	3223327

Comment

A1xx - AO3401 (30V P-Channel MOSFET).
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow!! Thank you very much!! So fast!

Have a nice evening!