HP BIOS unlock tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Probook ZBook 14

I've been trying to crack the (password locked) BIOS in my old ZBook 14 and found this excellent tool (thanks @RethoricalCheese !). I removed my BIOS chip (Winbond W25Q128), read it 3 times and checked the files all matched OK. I then modded them with the unlock tool and again verified that they all matched and visually checked the files and could see the changed sections.

I then programmed the chip with one of the unlocked files, verified it and put the chip back on my laptop. Booted up and to my great joy the password was removed. I reset Security and defaulted the BIOS and all was well for 1 day. I was able to reboot OK, go in to BIOS and change settings etc. I was offered a BIOS update by the HP app and installed it no problems. GREAT!

Next day I switched on the laptop and it would not boot. I was getting 5 flashes from the caps lock (and scroll) keys. I spent some time re-reading this thread and saw it mentioned that you should remove battery and RTC battery, plug in charger and boot. I removed both batteries then left the laptop for an hour or so. On reboot I got a BIOS checksum error then a few flashes and then it booted! I thought my troubles were over but alas on next reboot I was back with Caps Lock flashing 5 times and fan running full speed.....

I'm fresh out of ideas right now. I tried everything I could find. I have attached my original BIOS, the unlocked BIOS that I used and a jpg of the System Information screen that I took before all of this...

Any help or advice would be welcome!
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: HP BIOS unlock tool

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
      There's no need to write several messages in a row about the same thing.
      Be patient!
      You have an AMD platform, and afaik this model should have two chips - 8 and 2 MB, what programmer and software do you use? What is the inscription on the chips?
      I used ch314a programmer to dump and chip name is 25Q16DVDIG

Comment

Originally posted by Millanarun View Post
        I used ch314a programmer to dump and chip name is 25Q16DVDIG
        Ok this is the one of the two chips, find the second one - it should have an inscription something like 25Q64.... on it.
        You did not answer what software you are using with your ch314a programmer.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.​
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Re: HP Probook ZBook 14

Originally posted by liberator View Post
          I've been trying to crack the (password locked) BIOS in my old ZBook 14 and found this excellent tool (thanks @RethoricalCheese !). I removed my BIOS chip (Winbond W25Q128), read it 3 times and checked the files all matched OK. I then modded them with the unlock tool and again verified that they all matched and visually checked the files and could see the changed sections.

I then programmed the chip with one of the unlocked files, verified it and put the chip back on my laptop. Booted up and to my great joy the password was removed. I reset Security and defaulted the BIOS and all was well for 1 day. I was able to reboot OK, go in to BIOS and change settings etc. I was offered a BIOS update by the HP app and installed it no problems. GREAT!

Next day I switched on the laptop and it would not boot. I was getting 5 flashes from the caps lock (and scroll) keys. I spent some time re-reading this thread and saw it mentioned that you should remove battery and RTC battery, plug in charger and boot. I removed both batteries then left the laptop for an hour or so. On reboot I got a BIOS checksum error then a few flashes and then it booted! I thought my troubles were over but alas on next reboot I was back with Caps Lock flashing 5 times and fan running full speed.....

I'm fresh out of ideas right now. I tried everything I could find. I have attached my original BIOS, the unlocked BIOS that I used and a jpg of the System Information screen that I took before all of this...

Any help or advice would be welcome!
          I saw the files and they look fine to me, so looks like the subsequent update didn't go ok.
          Try reprogramming the chip again (with the unlocked file).

Comment

Ok this is the one of the two chips, find the second one - it should have an inscription something like 25Q64.... on it.
            You did not answer what software you are using with your ch314a programmer.
            Yes bro 25q64a is there I'm using ar programmer

Comment

Next what should I do bro

Comment

Which version of AsProgrammer do you use?
                I strongly advise you to use AsProgrammer_2.0.0a14, NeoProgrammer V2.2.0.8, or Colibri.

Next what should I do bro
                Read and save the contents of both chips and upload them here. Use verification, and compare the dump with the contents of the chips.

Comment

Hi i have an hp elitebook 840 g5 and g6 both have admin password prompt, does the hp unlocker work on these laptops, i am just waiting for my RT809F PROGRAMMER to arrive, anytime nect week it should arrive

Comment

and both are wson8 chips

Comment

Originally posted by ynm078 View Post
                      Hi i have an hp elitebook 840 g5 and g6 both have admin password prompt, does the hp unlocker work on these laptops, i am just waiting for my RT809F PROGRAMMER to arrive, anytime nect week it should arrive
                      No, just upload the files here and someone will do the unlock for you.

Comment

I bought Ch341A with SOP 8 pin flash clip, but I have few dozens of HP Elitebook 8470P with bios access passwords locked... legally bought from a company but without password because the IT guy that setups the password is unreachable.

The problem is how do I use 8 pin clip on this bios chip with 16 pins. I have ordered a 16 pin clip and is on the way..but another question arises...how do I connect this 16 pin clip to the Ch341a?

Thanks for any solution

Comment

No, just upload the files here and someone will do the unlock for you.
                          many thanks for your quick reply, will upload as soon as programmer arrives

Comment

Hi all I have a HP Elitebook 850G1 laptop which is my old work one, it has a locked bios, the chip is a winbond 25Q128FV

I have bought a CH341A tool and trying to use software from one of the posts here As programmer and another one, but none seem to work.

When I connect the clip on the bios I sometimes get the little orange light on but whenever I hit read it goes to 100% and all I get is FF's across the board.

Any help would be appreciated

The ninja

Comment

Managed to get the programmer connected and get a save of the chip and then create an unlocked bios however now it won’t reboot just a flashing caps lock any ideas

using CH341A with CH341A programmer software and chip is W25Q128FV instsllat in a HP Elitebook 850 G1
                              Last edited by Ginjaninja; 08-26-2021, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Your most likely getting lots of FFFF's because the clip isn't connected properly. I had the exact same model and for me I bought the 8 pin jig from eBay and removed the chip from the board, after that I got perfect reads every time. the ch341a clip is useless and the more times you try and use it tends to do more damage than good.

as for the software I'll have a look at mine tonight after work and give you a link to where I got my software which works perfectly.

Originally posted by Ginjaninja View Post
                                Managed to get the programmer connected and get a save of the chip and then create an unlocked bios however now it won't reboot just a flashing caps lock any ideas

using CH341A with CH341A programmer software and chip is W25Q128FV instsllat in a HP Elitebook 850 G1

Comment

Originally posted by Mirorrside View Post
                                  Thank you
                                  Added my DMI-Info, everything works
                                  Is your laptop hp Probook 450 G7 are fully ok now? I am also in same problem. Power-on authentication issue

Attached Files

Comment

Send your bios dumps.

Comment

Trying to make a more complicated tool to address more than just HP laptops. This includes 32MB HP unlocking aswell.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98539

Comment

Hi there, so like a lot of people here I bought a HP (Elite Book 840G2) from Ebay and .....it has an Admin password.

I am also crap with a soldering iron...... so I bought CH431A Pro (Black) on clip.

At first I couldn't get it to read my BIOS chip (see pic), so I looked about for another 23 spi and that worked fine (so I know it's not the laptop/os/drivers/clip or reader).

Found a post about taking the battery out, power on, f1 then power off leaving the charger in and that worked!

I could now detect, read and verify the chip! I saved it, loaded it and did another verify, all good.

I dragged into HPunlocker and got a unlock file.

I closed the app re opened the programmer software, detected (correct) again and did anther verify against the original dump. All good.

Loaded the unlock file, programmed, the verify. No errors, all good.

No the laptop doesn't turn on.....flashing scroll/caps lock which looks like corrupt BIOS.....

My 3 questions are....

1) What went wrong? (BIOS files zipped & attached)
                                        2) Can anyone provide me a 840 G2 BIOS I can try and flash (to recover)
                                        3) Someone mentioned buying a pre unlocked BIOS chip, can you still get them?

Thank you,

D
                                        Attached Files

Comment

So some typo's in my original post and I can't edit it.....

I bought CH431A Pro (Black) WITH clip.

so I looked about for another 25 spi

Now the laptop doesn't turn on

Sorry about that......

Comment

Working...
                                          X