Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead gpu on HP G72 Laptop (How to switch to uma?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead gpu on HP G72 Laptop (How to switch to uma?)

Hi, I have an HP G72-120ev laptop with a dead gpu chip and i want to switch to cpu graphics (uma) so i can have some basic use of the laptop and not scrap it yet. I had the chip reflowed a couple of months ago but now its dead again (black screen, no post).
    I've seen a guy from youtube who shows that by removing the gpu coil the problem is solved in some cases. So my question is, does this apply on my laptop too or i have to do more technical stuff like removing the chip itself, etc.?

Below the details of my laptop:
    HP G72-120ev with an i3-330m and 3 gb of ram
    motherboard: DA0AX1MB6F1 REV:F
    Also somewhere on the motherboard it reads AX168 with big letters.

I atached a picture of the board too
    Attached Files

Re: Dead gpu on HP G72 Laptop (How to switch to uma?)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...02&postcount=2

2.1. Never reflow large BGA
    It won't fix the problem since 99% of the time it's not an contact issue between the BGA and the logic board. There's a high risk of damaging the board even further.
    If you want to confirm if an AMD/NVidia chip is bad, you can heat it up to 200°C max for a minute and a half, no flux. It'll come back to life for a short while and then die again, because it's bad. In this case it has to be replaced.
    Whole iGPU power circuit is not populated on this board + there are a lot of other small components to swap. Way too much work, just buy a replacement board (Intel) without dGPU.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...02&postcount=2

Whole iGPU power circuit is not populated on this board + there are a lot of other small components to swap. Way too much work, just buy a replacement board (Intel) without dGPU.
      i looked a schematic called Quanta Ax-1 propably the right one for DA0AX1MB6F1 motherboard and i saw that there are a lot of dis to uma changes that need to be done indeed.
      Also i saw too, that there is not a coil under the cpu and other components needed for the igpu, but it has intel graphics how is that possible?
      Last edited by george94; 10-18-2021, 08:24 AM. Reason: quote

Comment

On this board, if there is an AMD dGPU then the Intel iGPU inside the CPU is not used at all. (no switchable graphics)

Comment

If that's the case then i can't do anything except buy a new one

Comment

This mb can be converted to uma with full intel HD support. A guide was posted by me in this forum. If you can follow the guide, it should not take more then an hour to convert it. Else, you can buy a new mb .

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              This mb can be converted to uma with full intel HD support. A guide was posted by me in this forum. If you can follow the guide, it should not take more then an hour to convert it. Else, you can buy a new mb .
              Ok, so it doesn't matter that the igpu circuit below the cpu is missing? because in your instructions you dont add any of those components. I checked all 9 images.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes.

Comment

This guide permanently connects the iGPU power rail to the 1.5V rail instead, that's definitely not how I'd do it.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                    This guide permanently connects the iGPU power rail to the 1.5V rail instead, that's definitely not how I'd do it.
                    What's the best way then?

Comment

i have a problem too.
                      What happend if i remove the gpu chip
                      he is like dis to uma? any tips thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X