Sapphire RX 570 PULSE 4gb Short on coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapphire RX 570 PULSE 4gb Short on coil

Hi to all, I have a short to ground in this coil, I have a thermal camera, inyected 0.8V but nothing heats, it drawns between 0.6A and 1.5A.

First of all i have been searching for schematics of that card and searched all over the forum and internet about similar problems, I dont even know what rail it is, but I suppose it maybe the PEX rail?

I have removed the coil and the lower pad is the one shorted to ground.

Thanks a lot to all (and excuse my bad english)

(If someone could guide me where to get the correct boardview or schematis for this one... would gain a nice kiss)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by foshland; 11-14-2021, 08:51 PM.

Re: Sapphire RX 570 PULSE 4gb Short on coil

Hello. That is on your PEX rail (PCI Express).

Have you checked and verified that you have proper voltages and resistance elsewhere? Please check the 12v and 3.3v pins on your PCIE connector. These are all on the little tab (12pin) part and in order of:

Pins 1-3 are all 12v

The 8th pin (or 4th from the end) is 3.3v

Make sure there is no short there.

Edit: Also, this will sound crazy but check that the fuse right below the coil is good. Those are notorious for shorting out despite being verified for something like 220A of current.
    Last edited by WayOfTheRoad; 11-15-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Hi, here is the resistance to ground of every point I think its important, now ill meassure the voltages, as soon as I can.

The fuses marked in green are ok, 0 Ohms.

Thanks a lot for the help, very very thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi, I meassured the voltages, first of all, let me tell you the PC starts, but it doesnt recognice the GPU, it beeps as no graphic card installed.

The card came with a fan (it has 2) that was a little stuck, the one that is not close to the DVI and HDMI connectors.

On the photo you see a line that goes to the 8 pin connector, from a linear regulator, because near the 8 pin connector there is a regulator like the one near the DP connector, both output 5V. (that regulator is not in this photo taken from techpowerup)

You can see too 2 yellow arrows, one to that regulator and other to the multiple voltages regulator or whatever it is (i dont know its name) because they heat but just a little, going to 15-16 celsius degrees, the other parts keeps cold as my hands and feet (im at 12ºC right now)

Thanks again
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by foshland View Post
          Hi, I meassured the voltages, first of all, let me tell you the PC starts, but it doesnt recognice the GPU, it beeps as no graphic card installed.

The card came with a fan (it has 2) that was a little stuck, the one that is not close to the DVI and HDMI connectors.

On the photo you see a line that goes to the 8 pin connector, from a linear regulator, because near the 8 pin connector there is a regulator like the one near the DP connector, both output 5V. (that regulator is not in this photo taken from techpowerup)

You can see too 2 yellow arrows, one to that regulator and other to the multiple voltages regulator or whatever it is (i dont know its name) because they heat but just a little, going to 15-16 celsius degrees, the other parts keeps cold as my hands and feet (im at 12ºC right now)

Thanks again

Hmm...what is the ID of that ON Semiconductor regulator? Have you found it and checked the pins for incoming and out coming voltage? Also check the resistance of the enable and/or gate high pin (whichever it has). The ID will be the serial number right below the ON symbol.

Comment

Hi, its a ON semiconductor in the photo I posted, taken from techpowerup since it was almost the same card, but looking that chip in my card, its an Infineon, International Rectifiers, IR3567B (Dual output 6+2 phase PWM Controller), I attach the photo taken by me and the PDF, now ill look and learn about it and tell you what you asked me.

Can I assume Im not in a dead GPU??? I thought a PEX to ground means dead crystal.

It gives me some hope

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi heres is some resistance to ground taken, dont know where to meassure incoming and outgoing voltages, please tell me

Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi. You'll want to check voltage at 11, 39, 21 and all pins labeled with 5v. I could be more direct on other controllers so sorry for the vagueness, this is a new one to me.

The disheartening news is that a shorted PEX does often mean a bad GPU chip due to the direct connection between them and the limited components making that connection. A PCIE slot can provide up to 75W so something going wrong along it can spell doom.

Yet, I wouldn't say it's a sure thing so it's still a good idea to look for 5v. I'll have to double check but I think the boot order of your card begins at 5v and not 1.8/PEX like many Nvidia card. So there is still a chance.

You were checking for heat above, am I right to assume you were injecting voltage into the card? If so, what was the card taking?

Comment

In the thermal image i sent I was not injecting, it was in the PC and triying to boot.

In my previous posts, yes, I was injecting at the removed coil that is PEX and only 0.8V-0.9V, using a limited power supply and it only draws about 1.5A, no signal of heat was dettected anywhere.

Ill try to check voltage on those pins, looks dificult so will solder wires to resistors or capacitors on that lines.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                  X